Thread: AOE Snap Agro

10+ Year Old Account

AOE Snap Agro

I've been tanking quite a few heroics to get used to tanking in 4.0 and also because I had previously been away from the game for 2 months or so. For the most part I am finding tanking not much different than before. I am giving B&T a shot in my aoe/5 man spec and am actually liking the way the mechanic feels for aoe tanking as a substitute for deep wounds and spammable cleave. I am happy for the most part with the changes (or lack thereof).

One area I am having a definite problem with is snap aoe aggro. If i can charge in and pick up a pack or two of mobs I am absolutely fine with sustained aoe threat. In add fights or spawn fights it's been a real struggle for me to get the adds if dps grab them first or are being dumb and standing under spawn points while I am standing back because I need to charge for rage or something. Specifically I've experienced this trouble in HoS Brann event, CoS gauntlet through the inn (getting snap agro on the infinite dragonflight adds as they spawn), and even in VH to some extent.

I have been doing this all through the dungeon finder, so it's not like I'm running with reliable dps who know to watch their targeting and agro etc., but none of this was ever a factor in the past.

Anyway to the point of the thread: I have no problem with aoe threat, it's picking up adds as they spawn or get facepulled into the encounter. Are any other tanks finding any trouble with snap aoe threat?
    "Brevity is...wit"

Yeah I noticed that too today while doing PUGs. I just abuse intervene and taunt. There really isnt much else besides zipping all over the place and laying out some shield slams and whatnot on new mobs.

Also, I too have been rocking B&T and Im finally happy with it even though i was a naysayer on that talent from the start. Now that I am way more comfortable with tanking it is a freaking decent talent for heroics.

So yeah, aoe snap aggro is a whore if you have mobs spawning randomly or TC is on CD. Luckily for me a grenade is an extra AE up my sleeve.

Deleted
    Aye, snap aggro is something of an issue atm. It all runs fairly smoothly if the DPS are not stupid about it, like give the tanks some ToTs or MDs, don't open up with Starfall, and things like that. If I am allowed to pick the adds up and just hit a couple of buttons, like at least my TC + SW, then I'll be all right. But if the DPS don't let me do that, then it is neigh impossible for me to keep the mobs on me. The way I see it, AoEing hasn't changed much. It has been nerfed, but ultimately it's just about adjusting the way you use different abilities and importantly, which ones you use. What concerns me if that while I'm doing fine adjusting, it depends on other players doing the same and people are not very good at it, particularly many DPS players.