15+ Year Old Account
    yeh i think it was that addon
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it's the same kind of addon as the ovale one... but setup so you don't have to get the script.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand addons like that. We had a feral druid who we recruited a few years back (in Wrath at some point in ICC) who used that addon, and it honestly just makes people stupid. It was his little bible, and I would still outdps him, and instead of looking at mechanics, or already knowing what to cast, he'd stare at the giant button on his screen for what to cast next. Horrible way to play

Quote Originally Posted by Tygroen View Post
    I can't stand addons like that. We had a feral druid who we recruited a few years back (in Wrath at some point in ICC) who used that addon, and it honestly just makes people stupid. It was his little bible, and I would still outdps him, and instead of looking at mechanics, or already knowing what to cast, he'd stare at the giant button on his screen for what to cast next. Horrible way to play
    Reminds me of how many raiders forgot how to play after using that AVR (?) addon that told you where to stand for things like on Sindragosa... People are too eager to find an easy way. There's a big difference between using addons that allow you to make intelligent decisions - like classtimers - and ones that make (frequently poor) decisions for you.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I remember that addon, I'm glad we aren't forced to use it any more. Why even play the game if you're just gonna let the addons play the game for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Addons like that are great for starting kittys. We are one of the least represented dps (disregarding BM hunters and frost mage) this expac, and I'm all for having more GOOD kittys. We were all "noobs" at one point and needed a tool to help us learn. Load up Ovale or FBN and learn the priorities, get more comfortable, drop addon for a buff/debuff timer, ..., MOAR GEWD KITTEHS!

I personally started on basic Debuff tracker when I first speced to cat ms, called DebuffFilter. These days Im using DroodFocus just bcoz it visually shows me when the boss is at 60% so I start FBing instead of refreshing Rip, Helps when u have other things to look at in the fight
    Gorelaz *猩猩

Quote Originally Posted by Gorelaz View Post
    I personally started on basic Debuff tracker when I first speced to cat ms, called DebuffFilter. These days Im using DroodFocus just bcoz it visually shows me when the boss is at 60% so I start FBing instead of refreshing Rip, Helps when u have other things to look at in the fight
    Yea I love DroodFocus. It's amazing for energy/timers. I recommend others trying it if they haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli9090 View Post
    Yea I love DroodFocus. It's amazing for energy/timers. I recommend others trying it if they haven't yet.
    Yep, Droodfocus is amasing. And for set-bonus at 60% you just haft to change a little thing in some line. Used the addon myself for long, and its by far the best tracker addon Ive seen for feral druids, trough havent tried that many!

When I went from a full-time bear to a full-time kitty in raiding I discovered the Feral by Night addon. It was a great help to "get into" the rotation for me. I ran it about a tier, then I started to use it more as a suggestion and debuff tracker (disobeyed its suggestion from time to time) and with the release of Cataclysm I completely reworked my UI and replaced FbN with DroodFocus instead. I think Feral by Night is a great tool, especially for kittens and I probably wouldn't be where I am today without it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I respect its use as a tool, suggestion, and for debuff tracking, but far too often it's used as a crutch and an end all for kittying, which may or may not be its intended use, and all I've seen it end up doing is creating lazy kitties, which I am not a proponent of.

I'd much rather have an addon that can promote lazy kitties, than the addon not existing in the first place and those people just being bad kitties instead.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihir View Post
    Yes, keep using FB at all times.
    How about outside of Berserk? I noticed some ferals weave in FB when at 5cp and others continuing to spam Shred even after 5cp and only use FB sub 60% health.

Yes, you want to use FB outside of Berserk if you can fit it in without losing too much Rip or SR uptime. According to the default Mew rotation, you'd want FB if you reach 5 CP while your Rip has more than 14 seconds remaining and your Savage Roar has more than 10 seconds remaining.

That said, the DPS gain varies depending on your gear but for the most part it's pretty marginal (you could easily skip it if you'd rather avoid the additional complication).

BiS w/ FBs outside of Berserk
    Code:
    DPS: 50745.51336 +/- 12.86722
    Min/Max DPS: 46939.44866 / 55454.08972
    StdDev: 1038.00299
    BiS w/o FBs outside of Berserk
    Code:
    DPS: 50714.85349 +/- 12.71191
    Min/Max DPS: 46842.24282 / 55254.25072
    StdDev: 1025.47414
    Sims done with Mew, Mihir profile with 2.0 second FC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    Yes, you want to use FB outside of Berserk if you can fit it in without losing too much Rip or SR uptime. According to the default Mew rotation, you'd want FB if you reach 5 CP while your Rip has more than 14 seconds remaining and your Savage Roar has more than 10 seconds remaining.

That said, the DPS gain varies depending on your gear but for the most part it's pretty marginal (you could easily skip it if you'd rather avoid the additional complication).

BiS w/ FBs outside of Berserk
    Code:
    DPS: 50745.51336 +/- 12.86722
    Min/Max DPS: 46939.44866 / 55454.08972
    StdDev: 1038.00299
    BiS w/o FBs outside of Berserk
    Code:
    DPS: 50714.85349 +/- 12.71191
    Min/Max DPS: 46842.24282 / 55254.25072
    StdDev: 1025.47414
    Sims done with Mew, Mihir profile with 2.0 second FC.
    Ahh, thanks a lot for that. I knew the difference was small, but didn't expect it to be that small. I'm stacking mastery and crit (sharing gears with bear) so whenever I try to weave FB sometimes my rip uptime suffers a bit.

I'd much rather have an addon that can promote lazy kitties, than the addon not existing in the first place and those people just being bad kitties instead.
    This is some really ignorant logic. Rather than people learning, you want them to be mindless drones and hit a button when something pops on screen and tells them to? This is why Ret Pallys are laughed at for using CLC_Ret. Because it's a mindless addon that plays the game for you. I'm not trying to argue or start s*** with you, but I don't have an ounce of respect for anyone who uses an addon to tell them what button to hit next. Why even play the game at that point?

I can guarantee you that there just are some people would be no where without such an addon.

You could definitely argue that there are better ways to learn the rotation, I might disagree, but the fact of the matter is that using an addon like FBN or Ovale is one of the easiest ways to learn the rotation and there are definitely players who wouldn't bother with trying to learn such a complex (relatively) rotation otherwise. Edit: And would just continue being bad because they like to be a Kitty when they're DPSing, even if they have no grasp of the rotation at all.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2012-05-13 at 11:46 PM.

I am not the best kitty in the world, but I tell you one thing I will never do it use an addon like Ovale. I use Power Auras to keep track of my debuffs and buffs and that is it. I honestly think the "hit this button now" addons are a form of cheating and teach players how to play badly. They lose all ability to think about how to play situationally and in all honestly should ask themselves why they play feral if they just want a class where you hit a certain button every few seconds.

Addons like these should be banned in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwin View Post
    They lose all ability to think about how to play situationally
    You state that like it's a fact when I doubt you have any way to prove it. I would hope that those people are in the minority, but calling an addon bad because whatever portion of people use it incorrectly is just silly.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2012-05-14 at 05:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You state that like it's a fact when I doubt you have any way to prove it. I would hope that those people are in the minority, but calling an addon bad because whatever portion of people use it incorrectly is just silly.
    Any good kitty I know, including myself, refuses to use the addon. Any bad kitty I've met or talked to (as a recruitment officer, or even just a member in other guilds, RBG teams, even LFR) uses this addon. Personal experience goes a long way, and I have nothing but bad things to say about the addon.