Thread: Prot Q's

Prot Q's

Been tryin to find the answer for these questions been searching here and elitist jerks for answers but cant find much. I could just be overlooking topics. Just have a few questions i need answered for the new prot pally.

1. Crusader Strike vs Hammer of the Righteous? Crusader vs single target while HotR for multipacks. Talked to other pallies in game they say to use HotR always over CS and forums say to always use Crusader apart from multi pulls. Makes me a confused panda. Which should i use primarily and why so that i can feel confident in the spell im using.

2. Spec: Does Vindication work on bosses? i see alot of specs picking up this talent. Some say to not pick up Grand Crusader due to it messing with rotation. Guarded by the light; how many prots are actually using the HP on WoG for the absorb or are tehy all just using the HP for Shield of the Righteous.

3. Gems: Now for Cata i assume it will be different but for now, i see most stacking the solids all day still but elitist jerks implied that we should be looking more at str. now with the new spell [Touched By the Light].

4. Weap: dmg vs spell vs tank, currently i have a Last Word to my disposal and a Frost Needle been experimenting with both and abilities seem to hit more with the sp but straight dmg goes up with Last word, for prots should we look for good dps 1hers or get a caster sword since alot of our abilites benefit from sp?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any/all input will be grateful thanks.

1. you have it right. those using HotR always are using a bug with a Caster weapon and it is not intended and will most likely be fixed before 4.0.3

2. vindication DOES work on bosses, always has in WotLK too. Grand Crusader is a good tool if used right, the people saying NOT to get it are not using it right. they are assuming that when it procs you use it right away but you can delay your AS cast until it is a good time to use it
    example 1:
    CS>AS>CS(GC proc)>AS>CS>SotR this is an example of using AS right away when it procs without screwing up your rotation
    example 2:
    CS>AS>CS>Judge>CS(GC Proc)>SotR>CS>AS this is an example of Delaying your AS cast until the next best time it can be used. CS and SotR are still your top priorities.

3. Touched by the light is NOT new, we had it before. for the moment at 80 there is no reason to use anything other than full stam gems. it is suggested that you set your Dodge at 21.6%, Parry at 21.21% and reforge excess dodge/parry/hit to Mastery (block %) in order to get a total of 102.4% mitigation. (102.4% is calculated by adding Dodge% + Parry% + Block% + 15% block from Holy Shield + 5% basic Miss chance)

4. again the current exploit of using a spell power weapon will most likely be fixed but other than that it seems that you would use a Tank weapon for extra mitigation when needed or a slow DPS weapon for extra threat (reforging unwanted bonus stats to Mastery).
    Last edited by Lumidar; 2010-10-17 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar View Post
    1. you have it right. those using HotR always are using a bug with a Caster weapon and it is not intended and will most likely be fixed before 4.0.3

2. vindication DOES work on bosses, always has in WotLK too. Grand Crusader is a good tool if used right, the people saying NOT to get it are not using it right. they are assuming that when it procs you use it right away but you can delay your AS cast until it is a good time to use it
    example 1:
    CS>AS>CS(GC proc)>AS>CS>SotR this is an example of using AS right away when it procs without screwing up your rotation
    example 2:
    CS>AS>CS>Judge>CS(GC Proc)>SotR>CS>AS this is an example of Delaying your AS cast until the next best time it can be used. CS and SotR are still your top priorities.

3. Touched by the light is NOT new, we had it before. for the moment at 80 there is no reason to use anything other than full stam gems. it is suggested that you set your Dodge at 21.6%, Parry at 21.21% and reforge excess dodge/parry/hit to Mastery (block %) in order to get a total of 102.4% mitigation. (102.4% is calculated by adding Dodge% + Parry% + Block% + 15% block from Holy Shield + 5% basic Miss chance)

4. again the current exploit of using a spell power weapon will most likely be fixed but other than that it seems that you would use a Tank weapon for extra mitigation when needed or a slow DPS weapon for extra threat (reforging unwanted bonus stats to Mastery).
    Great explanation.