Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Yeah, iirc, the Alpha thing was fairly short in the comics. I imagine the show will at least squeeze the rest of this season out of Alpha and the Whisperers though.
    It's pretty likely that alpha will be gone by the midseason finale and beta will become the leader of the whisperers based upon the comics and also on the fact that im pretty sure the actress playing alpha only signed on for 1 season and she started appearing halfway through last season

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The premier was just felt...odd.

Its the characters we know, in the world we know, but they are all behaving differently. The production tried too hard to change up the dynamic. They way they tried to give Michonne's other kid dialogue felt weird. The zombie drills felt weird, especially when the rest of the episode had zombies still cornering them due to their carelessness.
    As with any passing of time in a show the characters change direction. Yeah I agree they all felt out of touch or off base but, there is no threat right now so there is nothing to call upon their usual tropes or actions.

Daryl is best when he iw with Carol or being Joe Hero and kicking ass.

Carol this new Carol, is just her trying to find her place in the world AGAIN!!.

I can see the PTSD thing, I mean..... dude watched ALL his friends get chopped up or fed to walkers, so yeah.......

The infant scenes just need to stay out of the show, same with AJ, not that he is not part of the show but he has no "real" place in it yet. Judith and the other teens have had their places established already.

The problem we have now is that the characters we have invested 8 years into are gone, and the ones left behind are just not fleshed or meaty enough to carry the show. That was part of why I lost touch with FtWD. The characters, they have no presence, no impact on the show. You can get rid of them put new ones in their place and it is still he same show.

With TWD, these characters had a presence and impact at the start and throughout their runs on the show. But that is also having a reat abundancy of source material and directors that invested in what Kirkman gave them in terms of direction or scenery. FtWD there is no source to draw from and even with Kirkman they coud not bring in the power to keep the show going. When I watched it was only the Black dude that kept me intersted and even then I lost touch.

As we both have said, it is time for this story to come to an end. Even bringing back Maggie will not help.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    With TWD, these characters had a presence and impact at the start and throughout their runs on the show. But that is also having a reat abundancy of source material and directors that invested in what Kirkman gave them in terms of direction or scenery. FtWD there is no source to draw from and even with Kirkman they coud not bring in the power to keep the show going. When I watched it was only the Black dude that kept me intersted and even then I lost touch.
    Yeah, Rick was the major one for me. I'm still a fan of the show (as far as I'm concerned, it's at least worth watching for a 1-hour night a week). Most other characters aside from Daryl (and maybe Negan, at this point) are replaceable, but the show definitely hasn't been the same without Rick.

I never read the comics, but did Rick ever die in the comic series? I know most of the others died at some point but I never heard about Rick.

I never read the comics, but did Rick ever die in the comic series? I know most of the others died at some point but I never heard about Rick.
    In the comics he died. Recently even.

Ok, at least his departure made sense then is some sort of way lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, at least his departure made sense then is some sort of way lol
    His departure in the TV show is a lot earlier and different than his comic departure.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

His departure in the TV show is a lot earlier and different than his comic departure.
    True but it still makes a bit of sense now. I mean lets really look at it, how tight to the comics did they really stay?

New season out?

Been needing a new comedy, might check it out.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    True but it still makes a bit of sense now. I mean lets really look at it, how tight to the comics did they really stay?
    Barely. Most of the same characters and locations, but things don't play out the same. And sometimes they swapped characters back and forth (as in, some character who died in the comics continued living in the show, but some completely different character in the show died the same way the other comic character did). Like Carol's a pretty major character on the show at this point, but if the show followed the comics, she would've been long dead by now. And Daryl never even existed in the comics.

I guess it makes sense though. Comic characters are just lines drawn, and you can do anything you want with them as far as how long they stick around. When you're dealing with real people who are actors, they can have things like real-life issues that force them to leave the show, disputes over money/contract stuff, or whatever else and leave a lot earlier than expected. So the writers either have to just make shit up or substitute characters around when that happens.

Dale was a good example there. He lived a lot longer in the comics (and was planned to live a lot longer in the show), but iirc, the actor who played him wasn't happy over the whole Frank Darabont thing (which happened at some point in season 2) and left the show because of it. So they killed/wrote Dale off in the show then gave a different character his comic death.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-10-14 at 01:40 PM.

This show definitely lives up to its name.

It's walking, but it's also very much dead.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Went ahead and watched Ep 2 and 3. They weren't as bad as the first, probably because most of the air time went to strong actors (most of which will be dead or gone at the end of the season).

Aaron is Rick now I guess. Carol is a pill addict (though I question how strong her pills can be at this point), Michonne just wants people to stop the bullshit, Daryl is obviously being groomed into a death or showrunner.

The Whisperer 'attack' was cool on paper but the amount of walkers they showed and supposed militarization of Alexandria makes it hard to believe that Alexandria couldn't work out a proper sleep schedule to deal with the walkers, or that they aren't used to long patrols at this point.

The end of 3 was just stupid though. I can buy a drugged and exhausted Carol taking out a room full of walkers, but for the Whisperer (wasnt that Gamma?) to just stick around and watch only to get shanked herself is dumb. These are people who can round of tens of thousands of walkers, the ultimate survivalist of the time, and it looked as if she was just toying with Carol...why would she stick around...let enough get close enough to Carol to get stabbed...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Aaron is Rick now I guess. Carol is a pill addict (though I question how strong her pills can be at this point), Michonne just wants people to stop the bullshit, Daryl is obviously being groomed into a death or showrunner.
    I normally don't question things in fictional shows, but.....yeah how does this work? We're 10+ years post apocalypse at this point. Unless some genius in Alexandria figured out how to make prescription drugs, Carol's pills are going to be out of date by at least a decade.

Same with over the counter medicine, I guess. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I imagine that pills 10+ years old would probably cause more problems than they'd solve, especially when they're something designed to fuck with your heart rate and keep you awake like what she's taking.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-10-24 at 04:08 PM.

I just completed the season 9. I think now it's time for creators to wrap up the series and end this on a good note. Rick has left the show and now it's hard to imagine any other leader. I think the leads will develop their own communities and they will start having conflicts within.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped watching awhile ago but I'll just say the promo for the new stuff looks laughably bad. I'll sit and watch it all once its finally wrapped up... whenever that may be lol

I'll agree that the show is nowhere near what it used to be, but I still find it entertaining enough to be worth ~1 hour of my time a week. I'm looking forward to the film series more than anything else at this point though.
    They seem to have a cracking episode just as i am about to stop watching. Enough to hook me for the next few anyways.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am wondering how long the Whisperer War will go for? people criticised the show for taking too long to deal with the Saviours and that went on from the middle of season 6 to the end of season 8. so far we have had about 1 and a half seasons of Whisperers and while the episodes have been a lot better, imo, than the Saviours ones there will hopefully be a resolution soon. we have 5 episodes left, will the war wrap up by the end of the season

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say since the show switches up on what happens in the comic sometimes.

My guess is that it'll continue into next season, with a finale that includes a bunch of red shirt deaths and maybe a couple of important character deaths (Ezekiel probably doesn't have much time left because of his cancer, so I could see him doing some heroic suicide run or something and taking out a bunch of Whisperers, and maybe Beta goes down this season too), and things wrap up next mid-season finale.
    well looking at future episode synopsis the whisperer war ends this season but yeah we are going to see some major deaths before the season wraps up. Michonne for sure and Ezekiel definitely (he was one of the severed heads in the comics)

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Okay. I didn't see that coming. Well, I kind of did, but I didn't expect it to happen before the season finale.
    yeah this season is definitely going to wrap things up I think when it comes to the current main plotline

The show is about Rick. The comic is about Carl. Carl is 100X more interesting in the comic.
    Rick gets killed in 191, Carl kills zombie Rick in 192, and it flash forwards to Carl's future in 193--the last issue