Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if many of you that have been watching the show know this yet, but it has been renewed for a 2nd season already just after 2 episodes.

http://www.collider.com/2010/11/08/t...nd-season-amc/

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice. Doesn't surprise me though. Since it's based on the comic and the comic itself was practically made to be a TV series whoever green lights shows for another season could easily predict how much material it has too keep it going and whether or not the pace of the story drops or anything like that.

Good thing for me is I know it doesn't There's definitely some crazy stuff that happens and I can't wait to see if it makes it into the show.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have never read any of the comics, but from what I have been reading on the web if half the stuff gets added in that is in the comics then the series is going to turn out to be one hell of a series and I can see it going on for many seasons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well. I can tell you from what I've read of the comics that just from the first 3 issues.. there's atleast 5 dramatic "plot points" and one of them is kinda creepy.

There's definitely enough material in the comics to keep this series going strong for a long time.

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    So for those who have read the comics.. how loyal is to them?

I have to say they did a really great job of following the comic, and taking in new ideas in the story without ruining the original feeling.

The only thing that annoys me is the fact that the zombies seems to function abit too well, for example the girl in the beginning picking upp the teddy bear, Morgans wife remembering the house and the fact that a few of them picked upp stones to break a window.

I am really looking forward to see more of this show, and how they will create things from the comic in to awesome episodes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not to go all Zombie psychology on the thread.. BUT since I'm here.. If zombies were real.. I'd say that the "fresher" zombies probably would still have some brain power and muscle strength so it's still (to me) believable if a new zombie can run, open doors, etc.

Well when you get right down to it, the whole thing about Zombies is that their brain is scrambled.

So you could look at them as dead people with a scrambled brain. That means they could still pick up things, even have flashes of what they used to be maybe.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liioni View Post
    I have to say they did a really great job of following the comic, and taking in new ideas in the story without ruining the original feeling.

The only thing that annoys me is the fact that the zombies seems to function abit too well, for example the girl in the beginning picking upp the teddy bear, Morgans wife remembering the house and the fact that a few of them picked upp stones to break a window.

I am really looking forward to see more of this show, and how they will create things from the comic in to awesome episodes.
    In A. Romeros movie (his movies are the foundation of zombie shit in my opinion) The day of the living dead the zombie can use a camera and a gun. They explain that they have lost all ability excepts basic instincts and that's why they walk slow. And also there have been many indications in that movie and several other zombie flicks that Zombies have a capability to learn.

15+ Year Old Account
    Reading this article will really make you question how a zombie invasion could even succeed.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    Reading this article will really make you question how a zombie invasion could even succeed.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html
    With a warning about fake (hopefully) zombie gore.

Too many assumptions with that in my opinion

Many good points are made about temperatures but I think if some kind of Zombie outbreak were too occur it'd be by way of (like in the walking dead series) a man made weapon. You infect people with a zombie disease and they'll spread it fast by themselves looking for a cure.

I always assume it's not just something spread via bite but more of an all around lives on the outside, inside, Your-better-Off-Just-Not-Touching-Them kinda deal. ALSO commonly overlooked.. if you shoot a zombie close it splatters.. and gets on you and possibly in you.

Can you tell I love zombie stuff? I do.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was reading the Walking Dead wikia when I stumbled on this fact which was given by Kirkman. He stated that the Zombies outnumber the living by 5000 to 1 which means in the 50 states there is only 88000 survivors left and only 1,320,000 worldwide(if you go by the US population sitting at 440 million and the world at 6.6 billion) within one month's time or just .0002% left. This pretty much means humanity would be classified as extinct or at the least extinct in the wild by IUCN's Red List which considers Critically Endangered species as losing 80% of the population over 3 generations.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Zombies
    Last edited by Fooliecoolie; 2010-11-12 at 06:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    I was reading the Walking Dead wikia when I stumbled on this fact which was given by Kirkman. He stated that the Zombies outnumber the living by 5000 to 1 which means in the 50 states there is only 88000 survivors left and only 1,320,000 worldwide(if you go by the US population sitting at 440 million and the world at 6.6 billion) within one month's time or just .0002% left. This pretty much means humanity would be classified as extinct or at the least extinct in the wild by IUCN's Red List which considers Critically Endangered species as losing 80% of the population over 3 generations.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Zombies
    It's not an absolute fact written by Kirkman, it's a thing that comes to their knowledge in the tenth issue of the comic book. There's a huge difference between an absolute truth by the author and "information" given by the characters of the comic.

I saw the 1st episode and i can say i really enjoyed it, can't wait for the 2nd episode.

Now as we're talking about zombie apocalypses. The surviving humans won't have to worry about starvation as there would be enough food in the whole supply chain, in trucks, warehouses etc to last a few decades. Obviously a lot of it would go off, fruit vegetables for instance but the canned foods would remain edible.

Say there is a zombie apocalypse (a virus type) nobody knows for how long the zombie will continue to function. I presume it will only be for a few years at most as the muscles, cells will decay rendering the zombie in essence a husk unable to move or feed. At this point they would be very easy for any surviving humans to finish off.

Humans after a few weeks/months will have began to make fairly substantial defensive positions and forts in where they could withstand the zombies for a considerable amount of time. Think an oil rig would be a good place, food and water to keep 1000 people fed for 2 weeks, will last 1-3 humans for a very long time.

Simply put following the initial panic say in the following 6-12 months humans would adapt and become accustomed to zombies in the sense they no longer pose a very serious threat unless en mass, and eventually killing zombies may become more of a sport or pastime than actual survival.

Overall we've never experienced a zombie situation so we can never know what will truly happen, who knows government action might be swift and effective (Ie Shaun of the Dead) in which the zombies are contained and eliminated threat over or not so effective, say land of the dead. But alas until it actually happens we'll never know.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePotato View Post
    I saw the 1st episode and i can say i really enjoyed it, can't wait for the 2nd episode.

Now as we're talking about zombie apocalypses. The surviving humans won't have to worry about starvation as there would be enough food in the whole supply chain, in trucks, warehouses etc to last a few decades. Obviously a lot of it would go off, fruit vegetables for instance but the canned foods would remain edible.

Say there is a zombie apocalypse (a virus type) nobody knows for how long the zombie will continue to function. I presume it will only be for a few years at most as the muscles, cells will decay rendering the zombie in essence a husk unable to move or feed. At this point they would be very easy for any surviving humans to finish off.

Humans after a few weeks/months will have began to make fairly substantial defensive positions and forts in where they could withstand the zombies for a considerable amount of time. Think an oil rig would be a good place, food and water to keep 1000 people fed for 2 weeks, will last 1-3 humans for a very long time.

Simply put following the initial panic say in the following 6-12 months humans would adapt and become accustomed to zombies in the sense they no longer pose a very serious threat unless en mass, and eventually killing zombies may become more of a sport or pastime than actual survival.

Overall we've never experienced a zombie situation so we can never know what will truly happen, who knows government action might be swift and effective (Ie Shaun of the Dead) in which the zombies are contained and eliminated threat over or not so effective, say land of the dead. But alas until it actually happens we'll never know.
    Going to an offshore oil rig would be a bad decision in itself. First of all, the existing crew probably remained onboard and may be infected themselves. Trying to access a oil rig from a boat will not be easy, most oil rigs use helicopters and cranes to restock from cargo ships. The only scaffoldings are mainly only used for maintainence and emergency. If you don't know how to run the equipment on the rig, you will have no power, no ballast control, no climate control and no potable water which will be your death due to exposure(open sea can be as bad as a desert). And if you do know how to run the equipment, you will be limited by the amount of diesel the storage tanks can hold and how long you can keep the equipment running, seawater can be brutal. And the biggest killer of people at sea is not drowning or exposure; it is fire which is very common on an oil rig. You are safer on land, because military bases, police stations, hospitals and **SPOILER** prisons would be better choices. They will have electric generators, video cameras, medical supplies, emergency rations, communication gear and weapons (hospital security will have some guns on hand). You don't have to fortify as much since most will have many back entrances secured by fences and thick steel fire doors to prevent illegal entry. Best place I would pick would be Alcatraz Island(Book of Eli was wise on that). It is accessible by boat(human, sail, or motor powered) so you could scavange out in San Francisco, Oakland, and the Silicon Valley and you would not have to worry about zombies reaching you.
    Last edited by Fooliecoolie; 2010-11-13 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Adding data

Can understand what you mean about the oil rigs, but while a prison would be good from a defensive standpoint theres a high chance the infections gotten in meaning it would be infested with 100's of zombies in which case you wouldn't dare go inside.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePotato View Post
    Can understand what you mean about the oil rigs, but while a prison would be good from a defensive standpoint theres a high chance the infections gotten in meaning it would be infested with 100's of zombies in which case you wouldn't dare go inside.
    If the gates and doors were left open then you would have a problem. But if guards and staff stayed to protocol, the prisoners will be isolated in general areas or better their cells. You could control how the zombies move around so you can eliminate them systematically.

Saw the first episode and was very pleased. As a long time WD fan I appreciated some of the extra things that were added. Now, the second episode is where things really started to sort of depart form the comic. There were a lot of extra survivors who to be frank, I thought were just going to be red shirts. Over all though the second show kept the vibe of the comic with certain scenes that while different, kept the vibe the same.

Can't wait for the episode that airs tonight!

Love it very much. =) I've been a fan of the comics for a long time so this made the show all the more special for me.

Need any help here on the forums? Just PM and I'll be more then glad to help you!

Deleted
    Just finished watching the second episode, I heard about the series from a wow podcast I've been following and decided to check it out, looks very promising, I love post-apocalyptic scenarios, especially zombie apocalyptic :3

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been watching this and from what i've seen already, with just 2 Episodes it will be good.

Think I've read somewhere that it's already been renewed for two seasons, which is awesome too.