Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb What do you think about Collision Detection?

I've been thinking about this recently, I understand in PVE the usefulness of not having collision detection, when you need to make quick "get out of the fire" decisions something like collision detection could be more of a hinderance.

However, what do you think about Collision detection in PVP?
    The ability to protect your healer, or save someone by forcing them to get through you first. The way you could stop a player from literally running THROUGH you to stop your casting, they would actually have to get around you, For rogues they have shadow dance to get behind you and with a quick reaction would have to kick to interrupt instead of running through the player.

This could also work great as a form of bringing strategy back to the game. Formations, protecting the flag carrier, finding a way to penetrate a team. Now that rated BG's are coming, Im thinking this would be a fun mechanic to have enabled when you enter PVP area's, and disabled in PVE scenarios.

What's your take on collision detection?

inb4 everyone re-rolls tauren and gnome

one word answer;

griefing

i dont think im above cornering someone and forcing them to die purely out of spite.

Auction Houses would become hell on Azeroth that way, really.

It's a great idea. Collison detection for PvE and PvP would make encounters much more interesting, make positioning even more important, make tanking more fun, and in general make the game require more thought.

I honestly can't believe people bring up griefing or the AH - collision detection just gets turned off in cities. That's how it works in every MMO with collision detection.

"It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."

In Warhammer, collision detection just gets flipped on when you get near the enemy.

It would make for some interesting changes to PVP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nirash View Post
    Auction Houses would become hell on Azeroth that way, really.
    I do believe I stated only in PVP instances, and not PVE area's. =)

Also griefing as far as in a BG lets say blocking a door just to be a jerk can be handled with : right click player menu "move player" option. If enough ppl are being blocked they will press the move button and get them ported.(Quite like the stuck button).

I like it but that would just make everyone roll tauren so i really dont like the idea of a tauren wall running down the field in wsg... but it would be kool to see a stampede

No, I hate the idea....really bad bad idea. Too many bugs / cheats with it no thanks
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

In other games no matter the size of the player all players had the same general || body space. But I do not see where bugs or cheats come into play, as there have been plenty of games (more so then not) with collision detection, and it works very well.

Their should also be a crouch button to allow boosting to high places (like in counter strike).

Collision detection works well when there is not the potential to grief others in the process, only when its a valid and necessary feature.
    In pvp at choke points taurens would excel at that, while gnomes/goblins would be a great choice to get through said blockades.
    Doorways blocked by a single person.
    Bridges in pvp only clearable by knockbacks etc.
    No, just no.

I'd be fine with personal and mount Collision detection only

be nice not having my daggers stick into my mount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Traversing through The Luminiferous Aether.
    Novel idea.
    Bit much work for them to fit into the current WoW program really though, they would need to re-make the game engine, WoW2 perhaps.

In the current system it wouldn't really work, but I could see it working well in a remade version. The Escape artist ability would actually be useful.

The Gnome are tiny and Tauren huge point is moot, Just give all races the same collision space (same space as a human or something.) Handwave people getting past the edges of the burly Tauren as people squeezing through a gap.

no way... gnomes are annoying enough without everyone falling over them ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    I'd be fine with personal and mount Collision detection only

be nice not having my daggers stick into my mount.
    this would be pretty nice...

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a cool idea to say the least, i doubt it will ever be considered but the notion of it is interesting.

доверять надежде означает знать отчаяние

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a topic that gets brought up every now and then.

It would require the game be re=worked from the ground up, and it will never happen.

Always loved collision in games for PvP, but for things like cities and PvE it just gets annoying.

I can appreciate where your comming from but that presupposes healers NEED physical protection. More often than not healers in Wrath have been more deadly than their dps counter parts simply because they can be nigh unkillable in a player per player basis, IE it takes 2+ or a staggering ammount of gear advantage with greater than normal burst.

I think IF the game was tuned in a way that actually made healers require protection this would be neat. Until then meh, oh and if were going to do colision detection like that it would also mean things like spells with travel time should be able to be kited into obstacles and such.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Lol that would be kind of cool. I like the idea, especially since it's how Warcraft (the strategy game) operates. Sadly, there is always someone who will find a way to exploit something and be extremely cheap with it, to the point where it wouldn't work as intended. Plus, that would require way too much reworking of the game. There's Charging and being "stopped" by a passerby. There's projectiles not reaching their target due to obstacles or other characters pathing in the way of a spell/projectile. What happens when you are on a bridge and an ele sham Thunderstorms? Do the people who get knocked into others who were not hit with the Thunderstorm also knock those people back a ways as well? Does it slow/shorten the knockback of the original? Can it knock others off of a bridge that weren't even hit by the Thunderstorm? Can it also save others that were hit if say a gnome gets knocked back into a male draenei? Too... much... work.
    With a shape like that, and a cape like that, cc better cc me. Cuz them dots just keep on rollin, and you know red equals dead. So let them casters cast, cuz haste makes us too fast. And I ride out in Mimiron's Head.