Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Few questions came to mind.

1. Elitistjerks says dont ever start with haunt, but, isnt that +damage buff good to be there from the first second, and secondly, i assume it does increase the damage of existing dots if i cast it in middle of dot durations? And how about Shadow Embrace, does it add the damage to current dots also, or only the next ones i renew?

2. When to pop on use trinkets. Do you (affliction in mind) first start your rotation up, get maxed Shadow Embraces ect, then just when you are about to renew most of your dots, you pop trinket? Question in hand is, does dots check your spellpower mid ticks or only when casted?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmodan View Post
    Few questions came to mind.

1. Elitistjerks says dont ever start with haunt, but, isnt that +damage buff good to be there from the first second, and secondly, i assume it does increase the damage of existing dots if i cast it in middle of dot durations? And how about Shadow Embrace, does it add the damage to current dots also, or only the next ones i renew?

2. When to pop on use trinkets. Do you (affliction in mind) first start your rotation up, get maxed Shadow Embraces ect, then just when you are about to renew most of your dots, you pop trinket? Question in hand is, does dots check your spellpower mid ticks or only when casted?
    I'm not sure if dots recheck spellpower on the fly, but I don't believe they do. I do know they don't recheck haste or crit, so it's unlikely. The one that definitely does (as affliction, anyway) is corruption, and that's only because in effect you're constantly refreshing it.

As for opening with haunt, EJ's reasoning for putting your dots up before haunt is that haunt's damage is bad, and the percentage increase to your dots is irrelevant because your dots aren't up and ticking yet. You used to open with sb > haunt only because of the rolling crit thing on corruption.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Quote Originally Posted by Deyrion View Post
    okay, so as demon-lock, we should aim for the 2030 because of the next imo-tick, or should we go for other stats right after 1406(maybe because the scaling goes down after that number? i heared some rumors about that)
    go for 1406 if ur wanting to go for an extra tick number. as if you try n get any higher you wil be global cooldowing spells like incinerate during molten core procs, n thats dps loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    I'm not sure if dots recheck spellpower on the fly, but I don't believe they do. I do know they don't recheck haste or crit, so it's unlikely. The one that definitely does (as affliction, anyway) is corruption, and that's only because in effect you're constantly refreshing it.

As for opening with haunt, EJ's reasoning for putting your dots up before haunt is that haunt's damage is bad, and the percentage increase to your dots is irrelevant because your dots aren't up and ticking yet. You used to open with sb > haunt only because of the rolling crit thing on corruption.
    ALLL dots auto update in real-time as of patch 4.0, even rolling corruption DoT as affliction, wil auto update. so re-applying for 4peice t10, or trinkets etc, doesnt work anymore, the DoT wil auto-update every tick to ur current haste/spellpower/crit etc etc.
    Last edited by DotDotDot; 2010-10-26 at 04:34 AM.

Source please for this info? I thought this as well, but heard from many sources that it was not the case. This is definitely the case with corruption (i.e. you can't "roll" stats on it anymore), I know for sure, but I don't believe it is for any other dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    Source please for this info? I thought this as well, but heard from many sources that it was not the case. This is definitely the case with corruption (i.e. you can't "roll" stats on it anymore), I know for sure, but I don't believe it is for any other dot.
    Blue post's confirming this was weeks n weeks ago, in the very early 4.0 blue patch build's, n i cba trapsing thru pages n pages of posts to find it, only dot that mattered anyway was the rolling corruption, every other Dot doesnt matter as u re-apply it, but they do auto-update now. ( on blood queen, i get bitten, and my UA started ticking for the massive damage, before i re-applied it) so ye.

Ok, but just because the BQ damage % modifier augmented your dots on the fly doesn't mean that haste & crit are updated in the same way. You're talking about different mechanics here. As I said, the way you describe it is the way I initially thought it was supposed to work, but the tests seem to prove otherwise.

No, they don't auto-update. I've tested this on dummies as Demonology. My spellpower changes through trinket usage, or through damage increases (ie Demon Form) were NOT applied to either my Corruption nor my Bane of Doom, until I refreshed the DoT. Thereafter, they continued at the increased spellpower/damage values even after the boost was lost, until I refreshed the DoT again so it would have the higher values.

What's changed, as far as I can see, is how DoT refreshing works. It used to be that spellpower boosts would only be looked at when a DoT was cast; if you refreshed the DoT through another spell (such as through Drain Soul execute or whatever it was), the original stats would be kept. Now, however, the original stats WON'T be kept - it'll update to your current stats -at the time the DoT is refreshed-.

So, still, you really want to cast your DoTs WHILE you have a stat boost active now as long as it's a debuff you'll be recasting later on (rather than simply refreshing automatically).

Yeah.

Yeah this was easy to test now that i got into the game. Corruption and Unstable didnt have any damage upgrade if i used the trinket after those were cast.

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney View Post
    Assuming 5% haste buff these are required haste ratings

Code:
    Ticks   GoBoA       BoA      Corr     UA     Immo

+1       108       132       169     284     284
     +2       324       391       721     852     852
     +3       539       650      1202    1406    1406
     +4       754       875      1681    2030    2030
     +5       970      1124      2161
     +6      1185      1374
     +7      1400      1624
     +8      1616      1874
     +9      1830      2124
     +10     2046
    what is goboa?
    Last edited by Rasmorace; 2010-10-26 at 01:15 PM.

Glyph of Bane of Agony. GoBoA

Has anyone done any testing for a threshold point of haste where you would definitely want to use BoA vs BoD?

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney View Post
    Assuming 5% haste buff these are required haste ratings

Code:
    Ticks   GoBoA       BoA      Corr     UA     Immo

+1       108       132       169     284     284
     +2       324       391       721     852     852
     +3       539       650      1202    1406    1406
     +4       754       875      1681    2030    2030
     +5       970      1124      2161
     +6      1185      1374
     +7      1400      1624
     +8      1616      1874
     +9      1830      2124
     +10     2046

thx so much exactly what i was looking for!!