Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    SV AOE damage (Multi/serpent spread) is completely awesome IMO...

I may be way off on this, but I'm fairly certain Serpent Sting does not suffer from the AOE damage cap, making SV the preferred AOE spec for topping charts before Sindragosa. Can anybody confirm?

The only thing I can find distasteful about multishot that volley had was the ability to use it in melee range. It really sucks when I'm farming (instances, etc) and I get a bunch of mobs on me. Used to be I could just volley them down, but now I have to have my pet pick them up, MD my pet, then get maybe two or three multishots off, then pick them off one at a time. Much less efficient than just using volley.

I've noticed as a Surv hunter that I seem to have no problems doing average to above average damage with Multi-Shot.

One question I have though.

For sake of making the numbers easy, let's say that that serpent sting does 100 damage per second/tick.

If that were the case, a non crit serpent sting would do 1500 damage over the course of 15 sec.

With 2 points in Improved Serpent Sting, it would do about 500 damage plus 1500 over 15 sec.

With 2 points in Toxicology and ImpSS it would do about 1000 damage, plus 3000 over 15 sec.

Now, does Improved Serpent Sting and Toxicology affect Serpent Spread?

1 point gives you 6 sec worth of Serpent Sting on all targets hit by your Multi-Shot or an extra 600 damage over 6 seconds

2 points gives you 9 sec worth of Serpent Sting on all targets hit by your Multi-Shot or an extra 900 damage over 9 seconds

or......

1 point gives you 6 sec worth of Serpent Sting on all targets hit by your Multi-Shot or an extra 400 damage plus 1200 damage over 6 seconds

2 points gives you 9 sec worth of Serpent Sting on all targets hit by your Multi-Shot or an extra 600 damage plus 1800 damage over 9 seconds

I think it is the second option because I've noticed that on trash heavy AOE fights that Improved Serpent Sting is challenging auto-shot and explosive shot for #1 in overall damage at the end of the dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepfriedegg View Post
    It is a good amout of damage but very poor DPS because of its 30 second CD.
    Chimaera could be better for sustained AoE
    i use worm because its a tank and protects me, while a chimera, good at AoEing, doesnt really protect me as much =o

It's almost like Blizzard wanted a (Mostly) Single Target Non-mana based Ranged DPS Class...
    (Ive only played a hunter to about 77 though : / )
    Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    Yay for class homogenization, right?? Multishot is a boring ability. I much preferred Volley for AoE.
    Cause Volley = Blizzard = Rain of Fire was less homogeneous?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yay for class homogenization, right?? Multishot is a boring ability. I much preferred Volley for AoE.
    I profer not to AoE, it is simply to easy

AOE damage accross most clases has been ruined, my mage for instance does a less than half the AOE damage he used to...to the extent that unless it's a really huge pack there is just no point in AOEing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead View Post
    It just fits the class better, hunters don't drop arrow like rain. It just doesn't happen.
    I'm gonna stop you RIGHT there. It just doesn't happen eh? In a world with dragons, magic, and bags that don't make any sense logically, I think arrow rain is PERFECTLY fine. Its in tons of other video games anyways. My issue is how arrows come down with a gun. THAT just looks stupid.

Also, why are you asking US if its gonna be changed? Go one official forums guys! The blues will see your idea or complaint and take future note. I remember making a thread about making the frost elemental a perma pet for mages. After many signatures and threads made by me and other people it finally happened a few months later. Blizz cant answer your question or fix the things you think are problems if you talk about the problems on a fan site.

---------- Post added 2010-10-20 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gravlax View Post
    AOE damage accross most clases has been ruined, my mage for instance does a less than half the AOE damage he used to...to the extent that unless it's a really huge pack there is just no point in AOEing at all.
    Yup thats the idea. The AoE rotation for most classes is a single spell, so to keep it interesting they wanna make AoE ONLY used for large packs of weak mobs.
    Last edited by Bombkirby; 2010-10-20 at 11:42 PM.

Now first off I will state for the record that I prefer multishot to volley. It just fits the class better, hunters don't drop arrow like rain. It just doesn't happen.

But the problem we have now is that multishot is a single hit and costs too much focus. When we had volley we could channel the "spell" whilst still casting autoshot. The damage that each individual arrow caused was small, but a full 6 seconds of these little babys could mount up.

Now we have a single shot that will hit all mobs within 8 yards. Yes the initial damage is higher, but we can't spam this shot without costing too much focus and leaving us nothing but Steady to regain the focus back.

Are we going to see this ever changed. Probably not, but I would like to see Multishot replaced with what Explosive shot originaly was. You hit the first target and then the explosive ticks hit all other mobs within 8 yards for X amount of damage per 2 sec for 6 seconds. At least this would give us a semi useful AoE.
    Why does it matter whether it's channeled or used as part of a rotation? My numbers while aoeing in survival are better than i ever put out as a marks hunter pre-patch. My best over a full run in heroics prepatch was probably low to mid 6k. I just did ~7k over a whole run of UK under similar conditions to my previous best: tank pulling one pack a time and the other dps were rather poorly geared. 6k+ has been fairly common. Considering heroics are still just an aoe fest, i think they're a pretty good judge of our aoe ability...

If anything, survival aoe might be a bit overpowered considering they intended to nerf aoe...while marks and bm (as long as the appropriate pet is used) are right where they should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay for homogenization, right?? Volley is a boring ability. I much preferred clicking something for AoE.

Multishot is only a similar mechanic with FoK. Volley was Blizzard/Rain of Fire/Hurricane, Mind Sear/BladeStorm (sort of) or any other channeled AoE.

Sounds like QQ because you can't just 1-button click your hunter to top of DPS anymore.

80 Death Knight 80 Rogue 80 Paladin 80 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by ullar View Post
    If anything, survival aoe might be a bit overpowered considering they intended to nerf aoe...while marks and bm (as long as the appropriate pet is used) are right where they should be.
    It will only be OP if they have very large packs of mobs which can be tanked easily. Otherwise it'll be fine. As soon as you break around 10 targets SV pulls out pretty far. They're probably going to wind up at least nerfing Serpent Spread + Imp Serpent to not use the entire duration of a regular Serpent Sting for the proc. I wouldn't be too surprised if they remove Imp Serpent from proccing from Multi at all, so we have to wait for ticks between casts to get the boost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    It will only be OP if they have very large packs of mobs which can be tanked easily. Otherwise it'll be fine. As soon as you break around 10 targets SV pulls out pretty far. They're probably going to wind up at least nerfing Serpent Spread + Imp Serpent to not use the entire duration of a regular Serpent Sting for the proc. I wouldn't be too surprised if they remove Imp Serpent from proccing from Multi at all, so we have to wait for ticks between casts to get the boost.
    Why? AOE does not matter. Ever. At all. You need to be able to do it to kill a few gimmicks, not damn near every pull like in WOTLK.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Now first off I will state for the record that I prefer multishot to volley. It just fits the class better, hunters don't drop arrow like rain. It just doesn't happen.

But the problem we have now is that multishot is a single hit and costs too much focus. When we had volley we could channel the "spell" whilst still casting autoshot. The damage that each individual arrow caused was small, but a full 6 seconds of these little babys could mount up.

Now we have a single shot that will hit all mobs within 8 yards. Yes the initial damage is higher, but we can't spam this shot without costing too much focus and leaving us nothing but Steady to regain the focus back.

Are we going to see this ever changed. Probably not, but I would like to see Multishot replaced with what Explosive shot originaly was. You hit the first target and then the explosive ticks hit all other mobs within 8 yards for X amount of damage per 2 sec for 6 seconds. At least this would give us a semi useful AoE.
    You are basing this all on the current level 80 design of aoe everything that isn't a boss.

Having played the beta for a few months and ran most heroics i can say at the moment there is very little need for consistent aoe like what volley used to give.

Run the whole of DM Heroic not one bit of aoe needed, Grim Batol Heroic the only aoe ever needed is small packs of 8-10 non-elite troggs, Vortex Pinnacle heroic aoe not needed at all, etc.

Next time you decide to QQ at least think it through in your head first.
    There must be no retirement with our backs to the wall, And believing in the justice of our cause, Each one of us must fight on to the end.

We determine the guilty, We decide the punishment.

Press Button, Point, Press Button, Press Button, Point Press Button ...
    That is what volley, and for that matter Rain of Fire and Blizzard do.
    That is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
    You guys are also forgetting that BM sits on 110 focus. If you go into your multi's with full focus, I find I can get off 3 before needing to steady. Then typically after a single steady I can get off 1-2 more, and that's without bestial wrath.

My favorite use of it so far has been while soloing. Running H sethek halls the other night, I was MD'ing to the pet, followed by 3 quick multi's, gives him a nice threat lead and keeps the mobs all bunched up nicely for subsequent traps/multi's.

I'm really curious to try a zombiefest run in CoS and see what kind of numbers I can get dropping 100+ zombies in one shot...
    I don't think you'll be able to kill any, AoE is divided with that many targets, I know my Pally's Consecrate ended up ticking for like 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Press Button, Point, Press Button, Press Button, Point Press Button ...
    That is what volley, and for that matter Rain of Fire and Blizzard do.
    That is boring.
    /agree
    Whats a signature?

Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    Why? AOE does not matter. Ever. At all. You need to be able to do it to kill a few gimmicks, not damn near every pull like in WOTLK.
    There are many fights where AOE is quite important. I'm not sure how you could justify this type of claim. AOE has been important as far back as Molten Core. There are even old five man instances which have bosses where AOE was required. Those fights should all be called gimmick fights? Is any fight outside of Patchwerk a gimmick fight? Then again Patchwerk does hve a gimmick... so... are all bosses gimmick fights? I'm confused.

If AOE doesn't matter than Blizzard has failed its player base by removing an important aspect of the game just as much as they did by making trash in raids and instances in WoTLK too easy, which allowed them to be burned down conveniently with AOE. I wouldn't go into Cata with the idea in mind that AOE doesn't matter. Looking at dungeons and now raids on beta that's simply not the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    There are many fights where AOE is quite important. I'm not sure how you could justify this type of claim. AOE has been important as far back as Molten Core. There are even old five man instances which have bosses where AOE was required. Those fights should all be called gimmick fights? Is any fight outside of Patchwerk a gimmick fight? Then again Patchwerk does hve a gimmick... so... are all bosses gimmick fights? I'm confused.

If AOE doesn't matter than Blizzard has failed its player base by removing an important aspect of the game just as much as they did by making trash in raids and instances in WoTLK too easy, which allowed them to be burned down conveniently with AOE. I wouldn't go into Cata with the idea in mind that AOE doesn't matter. Looking at dungeons and now raids on beta that's simply not the case.
    AOE is done, AOE is necessary; quick example is the first boss in Heroic Stonecore which (as I did the fight) you have to quickly AOE a ton of adds down or they totally murder your group. AOE there is necessary. Chart topping, sustained AOE is not.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!