Thread: spell power

10+ Year Old Account

spell power

my question is how do i theorically calculate my spellpower (as a priest)

i was looking on the spell power coefficient page of wowhead but that doesnt take spriit or intell into accoutn

so my question is how do i calculate spell power (for a priest) taking into account talents, int, spirit,...

anyone has the anwser for this question ?
    when i die ... i won't drop any loot mwhahahaha

SP from int= Int-10

Deleted
    We tend to normalize everything towards spell power for the most part, although seeing cata changes normalizing to intellect makes more sense...

Based on simcraft's algorithms:

Stat: Scaling - Normalized
    Int : 2.7011 - 1.0000
    Spe : 1.1178 - 0.4138
    Hit : 1.9662 - 0.7279
    Cri : 1.1149 - 0.4128
    Has : 0.8536 - 0.3160
    Mas : 0.9398 - 0.1220

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luponius View Post
    We tend to normalize everything towards spell power for the most part, although seeing cata changes normalizing to intellect makes more sense...

Based on simcraft's algorithms:

Stat: Scaling - Normalized
    Int : 2.7011 - 1.0000
    Spe : 1.1178 - 0.4138
    Hit : 1.9662 - 0.7279
    Cri : 1.1149 - 0.4128
    Has : 0.8536 - 0.3160
    Mas : 0.9398 - 0.1220
    What rotation is that simcraft using? I would have to guess SWD used on CD for crit to be valued that high and haste to be below crit.

Why is spell power less than half the value of int?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorz View Post
    Why is spell power less than half the value of int?
    It is multiplied by mysticism. I am strongly doubting Luponius' numbers thought, crit almost equalling SP? Doesn't make much sense.

Yes, mysticism and kings effect int, but the difference shouldn't be this big. I don't trust those numbers at all.

Deleted
    Yes, that is a tad outdated, meaning it does not account for the ICD lock we got on SW glyph.
    I can guarantee you haste and crit are very close together, the huge difference was caused by death.

Essentially you're looking to stack Int and balance out Haste with crit. I personally went heavier on haste since mana is completely not an issue at this point. I doubt it will be the case once cataclysm hits, and we'll have to be careful of a hidden cap that haste may hold over us due to mana costs. Crit, at that point, will probably become way more valuable.

erm, maybe i´m totally off, but isnt your spellpower displayed in your character screen? So why do you need to calculate it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    erm, maybe i´m totally off, but isnt your spellpower displayed in your character screen? So why do you need to calculate it?
    We're not caclulating how much spellpower we have, but how meaningful a single point of spell power is compared to say, a point of crit, and a point of haste.

Put simply - what stats should we go for? What's most valuable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Haste makes DoTs more mana effiecient now but adding additional ticks

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    It is multiplied by mysticism. I am strongly doubting Luponius' numbers thought, crit almost equalling SP? Doesn't make much sense.
    The only way to really get SP by itself anymore is on weapons. Any weapon has so much SP that if you were to take a weapon without SP on it, you would need to have massive amounts of int/crit/mastery/haste to compensate, but that will just never happen. You will probably never need to worry about the SP dilemma.

---------- Post added 2010-10-25 at 04:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Archmonduu View Post
    SP from int= Int-10
    SP = (int - 10) + SP from weapon

Unless you're asking for your effective SP for your spells?
    Last edited by enoesiiw; 2010-10-25 at 02:32 PM.

There are procs and use-effects on trinkets and stuff that give raw spellpower too, so it's not totally useless to have as a stat in these comparisons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrayne View Post
    Haste makes DoTs more mana effiecient now but adding additional ticks
    True, it also increases ticks in mindflay (with my haste I get 4 ticks atm). I missed that one.

Are you talking about beta? Cause on live you can't get more than 3 ticks with MF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luponius View Post
    True, it also increases ticks in mindflay (with my haste I get 4 ticks atm). I missed that one.
    Mindflay is a Channeled DoT, so my statement stands true.

---------- Post added 2010-10-25 at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xorz View Post
    Are you talking about beta? Cause on live you can't get more than 3 ticks with MF.
    I'm not sure why it isn't implemented on live for MF I jsut double checked it and Haste seems to not be affecting MF with additional ticks