Thread: PW:S and Rage

PW:S and Rage

Hi all, i'm a fairly new priest (loving the disc tree in 4.01). I just have a question about how Shielding a warrior or druid tank affects their rage. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere that rage was being build differently, as in rage wouldnt be generated from incoming damage.

Is this true? Did this happen? If so can someone respond and/or link to a thread that answers this.

I typically am in the habit of throwing a shield on the tank before a pull. I am currently doing chain dungeons with a prot pally, so it hasnt been an issue, but I just want to be knowledgeable of this mechanic.

So yea, does bubbling a rage based tank prior to the pull limit their early threat generation or has that mechanic changed.

Thanks
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lethon&n=Boomkindance

It really depends, on my disc priest I usually use PW S right after our War tank Pulls, casting renew and PoM on him. The way shield works for disc, is that when it breaks, it grants Rage/Mana/Energy/etc. So it wouldn't really matter if you pre shielded or not. Also, warriors and druids have ways to increase their rage at the start of the fight in order to get their rage going anywhos; unless they took out these talents.

as of 3.1? All warriors and Druids gain rage off of absorbs.

Bubbles do not prevent rage generation, in any way.

It used to be an issue - but it aint anymore.
    Shield till your heart's content.

"2) Rage from damage taken will no longer be based on a standard creature of the character’s level, but instead will be based on the health of the warrior or druid. Again, there is a constant that is multiplied by the rage generated in order to allow for fine-tuning. This calculation ignores all damage reduction from armor, absorption, avoidance, block, or similar mechanics, so improving your gear will not reduce Rage gained."

The shield change was made in patch 3.1.0
    "Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Attacks that are absorbed (such as by Power Word: Shield) will now generate rage. "

So it has not mattered for a year and a half now... don't see why they would revert back from that change when it made it hard for warriors/druids to generate threat with a Disc priest... I know they changed rage generation but they have only "buffed it", don't see why they would "buff" it and "nerf" it at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only issue with using PW:S on the tank ( start of the fight mostly } is when it breaks it'll proc rapture, and if it's at the start of the fight it's likely to be mostly wasted.

But that's for a different topic

Any bear/warrior tank who tells you PW:S impairs their rage gain is going off old/invalid info. Happened to me while leveling my disc priest so I looked it up. The above posters are correct, so shield to your heart's content!

Way to nercro a thread

Well, considering there are still tard warriors out there that NEVER read patch changes. Heck, even 99% of players don't read the patch changes. Been kicked from 5 mans for bubble spamming. Heck, was in almost all 277 gear so no one took any damage. Yet they still complained. I think they were watching recount to much. Tards.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Way to nercro a thread
    Necro what? He posted today.

Like all others said, PW: Shield does not impede rage generation in any way, I use it all the time on my disc priest and have no problems when it's used on my druid/warrior

The only objection post-3.1 was from Paladins. They got a good sum of mana from being healed and only effective healing counted. So our shields were costing them around 100 mana every time. It's why Rapture used to grant Rage/RP/etc.

Wow, thank you everyone for the positive responses.

Sorry to those who think I necro'd an old thread, I just didnt really keep up with priest patch notes. I apologize.

Anyways, thanks for keeping this thread on topic and not trolling, I appreciate it.

Thanks again for the answers, thats exactly what I needed to know.

Cheers
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lethon&n=Boomkindance