Ret's DPS nerfed with new Beta build. Thoughts?

Personally, I'm very VERY disappointed by at least the crusader strike nerf... *sigh*

Retribution

* Templar's Verdict now deals 235% weapon damage with 3 Holy Power, up from 225%.
    * Hammer of Wrath base damage has been reduced by 22%. From 4890-5404 to 3814-4215.
    * Seal of Truth now scales from 12.85% of Attack Power and Spell Power (up from 12.5%) but now deals 15% weapon damage when stacked 5 times. Down from 16%.
    * Crusader Strike now deals 115% weapon damage, down from 150%.

Making us want to prioritize our biggest hit even further, HoW still scales with Inq, CS won't hit as hard that's for sure but I'm pretty sure the EXO buff that you forgot to mention should push us ahead of where we were.

Deleted
    I could be wrong, but i think this is reverting many changes they made recently to buff rets at level 80 for the time being. It certainly looks like the changes they made (such as crusader scaling from 150%).
    Everyone knew the buffs they made were only temporary (and yes even the mage nerfs were/are temporary. They were fine at 85 and those recent changes made them very weak in the beta from what i heard)

don't forget the changes to holy wrath (Holy Wrath now scales from 61% of SpellPower, up from 30%. Base damage reduced by 22%, from 3122 to 2435) and exorcism (Exorcism now scales from 34.4% of SpellPower or AP, up from 15%. Base damage increased by 15% from 2343 to 2741). the latter is a definite buff to the spell overall, such that it becomes a more attractive button to use when AoW procs.

i'd argue that what they've done (apart from just nerfing CS damage) is modify spells to introduce more gear scaling to them so that they become stronger at a higher rate than they would have before as we gear up. this is probably a good thing overall.

also, that's a flat buff to TV damage, which is kind of weird considering how hard it already hits, but it has the added benefit of actually improving our much-reviled mastery simply because TV is that much stronger and chaining it together is much more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
    Making us want to prioritize our biggest hit even further, HoW still scales with Inq, CS won't hit as hard that's for sure but I'm pretty sure the EXO buff that you forgot to mention should push us ahead of where we were.
    If i hit exorcism every 3 seconds like i do with CS then you'd have a point. I dunno though, i kinda looked at all of it together and it won't be that much of a loss. Just makes us even more bursty.

Deleted
    It will make us even more bursty for sure.
    The funny part is that they left out warriors from the nerf/buff wave. They do ridiciolus dmg right now on Beta. =D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    It will make us even more bursty for sure.
    The funny part is that they left out warriors from the nerf/buff wave. They do ridiciolus dmg right now on Beta. =D
    Working as intended perhaps?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptacizob View Post
    Working as intended perhaps?
    And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by Sindy View Post
    If i hit exorcism every 3 seconds like i do with CS then you'd have a point. I dunno though, i kinda looked at all of it together and it won't be that much of a loss. Just makes us even more bursty.
    Bursty. I like it.

I don't understand the CS nerf and TV buff. It seems like they are shifting even more of our damage to be reliant on the RNG. I feel we are already to reliant on the RNG and making it more so is not a good thing. This doesn't do anything about the fact that DP and Zealotry clash horribly with Mastery, in fact it sort of makes it worse as since HP will be even more important, and wasted HP is a larger DPS loss.

Personally I would like to see them give a drastic buff to Judgement damage. Right now its garbage, and I always felt Judgement was a paladin defining ability.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morvant View Post
    I don't understand the CS nerf and TV buff. It seems like they are shifting even more of our damage to be reliant on the RNG. I feel we are already to reliant on the RNG and making it more so is not a good thing. This doesn't do anything about the fact that DP and Zealotry clash horribly with Mastery, in fact it sort of makes it worse as since HP will be even more important, and wasted HP is a larger DPS loss.

Personally I would like to see them give a drastic buff to Judgement damage. Right now its garbage, and I always felt Judgement was a paladin defining ability.
    It's because our mastery was sometimes a questionable dps gain. By shifting TV non-crits to be higher damage than CS crits (305% vs 299%), it is much less questionable.

And I'm REALLY tired of the people making these topics going to "Retribution" and copy-pasting it here, forgetting about all the other important changes. I mean at least read the entire Paladin section before making a topic because you missed Holy Wrath and Exorcism.

All in all, it's probably a small buff, and yet this topic is now called "Nerf".
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

don't forget that exo got a huge buff.

overall i think we didn't gain/lose anything this build.
    ...just another dream within a dream...

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember what 'THE MAN' said at Blizzcon "I like long walks on the beach, drinking gin and NERFING PALADINS." *Crowd goes wild*

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Paladins.
    Have.
    The.
    Greatest.
    Class.
    Representations.
    And what exactly does this have to do with the conversation?

-

Overall, I think what this build accomplished was reshuffling where our damage comes from. It looks like they are trying to move CS, Holy Wrath, and Exo closer together as far as overall damage goes, which is fine in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Paladins.
    Have.
    The.
    Greatest.
    Class.
    Representations.
    Because
    Of
    Holy

---------- Post added 2010-10-27 at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Not the best question for the Paladin forum...
    Trolls always find the best ones to ask

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindy View Post
    * Crusader Strike now deals 115% weapon damage, down from 150%.
    Sad panda :C