Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Best ways to farm gold?

I am no good at making gold. I have maxed JC and that doesn't make me much. I've tried farming mats such as Eternal Life etc... but the time it takes to get them and for what they sell for, it isn't worth it. This isn't a "poor me" thread, I just want to know some good, solid ways to gain gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    buy uncut gems cheap (on my server id buy for 100 uncut cut with major cuts and resell for 20) and just do that
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulf View Post
    You actually get a raidspot as a clicker dps

sigh.

My troll senses are tingling.. Note - I'm not calling you a troll, it just seems like you're self-defeating here.

One one hand you're saying that Mining seems useless and you might as well just buy mats: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ssions-anymore

And then you're asking how to make money from Jewelcrafting.

PROTIP: Don't buy your mats. Farm mats for free, make them into stuff, and sell it. Net gold goes up. This is how you make gold with a profession. Only buy mats when it's economically advantageous to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Polarbear View Post
    buy uncut gems cheap (on my server id buy for 100 uncut cut with major cuts and resell for 20) and just do that
    Translated into English:

1. Buy Epic gems (eg. Cardinal Ruby) for 100g
    2. Cut Cardinal Ruby into Bold Cardinal Ruby
    3. Sell for 125g
    4. PROFIT!!?!?!!?!?!
    5. Repeat
    6. Buy kara
    7. Move in with Jaina
    8. Tap that Jaina...

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    Farm mats for free, make them into stuff, and sell it. Net gold goes up.
    This is blatantly wrong. I'd like to introduce you to a concept called "opportunity cost" - basically, in the time you waste farming, you could have made much more gold elsewhere. And so while it seems to you that your "net gold has gone up" your actual economic gain is much, much lower. As the goblins say, "time is money, friend."
    Feel free to try to debate this, but I'm just going to point you to any entry-level economics textbook and ask you to read up.

EDIT- that said, with JC as a profession your best bet is to buy uncut gems and sell them at retail. Simple and effective. One strategy I really like is to advertise on trade something like "buying uncut gems, primary color gems 100g secondary color gems 80g, COD to [bank alt]" In doing this you will find a few people who consistently send you gems, and you can rely on their service every week. Then, use an addon such as Auctioneer to see which gem cuts sell best, cut them, and post. Once you get the machine rolling you will really not spend much time doing it, and it can be very profitable.
    The way to NOT make money from JC is posting "[Jewelcrafting] cutting gems for tips" in trade and hoping for business to find you.
    Trust me, this is not a time-efficient method

I'd also suggest reading some of the gold-making blogs, there's tons of them out there.
    Last edited by Ciah; 2010-10-28 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciah View Post
    This is blatantly wrong. I'd like to introduce you to a concept called "opportunity cost" - basically, in the time you waste farming, you could have made much more gold elsewhere. And so while it seems to you that your "net gold has gone up" your actual economic gain is much, much lower. As the goblins say, "time is money, friend."
    Feel free to try to debate this, but I'm just going to point you to any entry-level economics textbook and ask you to read up.
    Opportunity Cost is covered entirely by "Only buy mats when it's economically advantageous to do so." which you decided to cut out of the quote.

Saate.net has an excellent write-up on Opportunity Cost which relates even better to WoW than entry-level economics textbooks.

EDIT: Please, no need to try and be so demeaning when you have no idea what the person you're speaking to knows or doesn't know. It's just rude.

BTW - Please explain what is "blatantly wrong" about what you quoted: "Farm mats for free, make them into stuff, and sell it. Net gold goes up."
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-10-28 at 12:48 AM.
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Finish all your quests in northrend. Massive amounts of money, especially at lvl 80 with an epic flying mount. I was going for achievements and noticed I had 400 extra gold over just a few hours.

JC is good too. You just need a good AH addon, and play with the AH constantly. If you list more than 2 or 3 gems they tend to get undercut and get returned to you.

Farming mats is good in WoW, because of the speed of farming and the slow AH. Even if its break-even, you have the advantage of being able to list more than one type of item. Not only that, but sometimes you simply can't find mats. In some cases, you can list something like frost lotus with a large markup, and a stack of flasks for the same markup. The Econ 101 student will look at the price of frost lotus, see it costs at much as the final item, and just buy that item from you. The average WoW idiot will just buy your expensive mats because mats are always cheaper (in his mind) than the end good. Covered your bases.

You can always farm low-level items. Linen cloth on my server goes for 20g a stack. Clear stockades a few times and you've made bank. Tin ore is another one that is really expensive, I simply level an alt and actually feed my main with gold.
    Last edited by Zeyn; 2010-10-28 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have ties to a solid guild or two, the best possible way to make a good chunk of change is with GDKP runs. Good groups that can clear most (if not every) hard mode in ICC make a massive amount of gold. Granted, people have to buy things, but that goes without saying.

Best run my GDKP group had, a WoW millionaire alt bought a heroic DBW for his hunter. Bidding price? He paid 300k for it. Same run, another WoW millionaire in our group bought heroic DFO for 190k.

I bought my alts mechano-hogs that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    Opportunity Cost is covered entirely by "Only buy mats when it's economically advantageous to do so." which you decided to cut out of the quote.
    I play on a low-pop server that is near the bottom of the census for both PvP and PvE achievement. I have never once run out of a supply of uncut gems.
    In my experience, there is never a reason to farm gems.

Farming is only worth it when you really cannot rely on the server's economy to provide for you. And for me, that category encompasses precious few things.

EDIT- the person above me suggesting GDKP runs is also on to something, they're a fun way to make money while you raid, which might have been doing anyway. The catch is, of course, finding a consistent run.
    Last edited by Ciah; 2010-10-28 at 12:52 AM.

I play on a low-pop server that is near the bottom of the census for both PvP and PvE achievement. I have never once run out of a supply of uncut gems.
    In my experience, there is never a reason to farm gems.

Farming is only worth it when you really cannot rely on the server's economy to provide for you. And for me, that category encompasses precious few things.
    On my server (for example), it's cheaper even taking the Opportunity Cost into consideration, to farm Mageweave yourself. At 40g a stack, with a stack obtainable every 6-9 group pulls in ZG, it's cheaper to farm your own than farm something else and buy it. At 80, anyhow.

Results will vary per server, of course. Like you said - it may encompass only a few things, however that's "at present". Going into Cata, it's likely going to be far cheaper to farm your own mats for the first several months, than to buy. In a year or two's time - sure, I'd be advising OP to drop mining as well. But NOT when a new expansion is literally weeks away.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far the best way to my knowledge is :
    Dailies on max level characters plus tradeskill products.

I have a few 80's, I do their dailies, cut some gems, smelt some ore, and profit from it all.
    Also throw your self out there. I have made quite a bit off of dungeon runs. Most people just want a few things from the instance other than multiple runs an EXP. And greens, cloth, and other goodies are always profit on the AH. Oh and not to forget the amount they're paying you for the run as well.

And as for the above posts, yes it's good to go ahead and take full advantage of a max'd tradeskill at the beginning of an expansion. I seriously doubt I will actually use my 3 mining toons for anything other than gold for the first few weeks.
    Last edited by MrVargr; 2010-10-28 at 01:08 AM.

If you don't want to be bored to death and are maybe a collector or new to the game (i.e. haven't seen a lot of the old stuff) running old raids and dungeons is tons of fun and easy money. I recently transferred into a big guild that always has people willing to run old stuff, and my cash has just gone up and up every week. Of course, I'm not rolling in it, but 17k is good enough for me when my alts already have epic flying.
    Plus you can get old recipes to learn/sell, and tons of old mats that still AH relatively well (well ok the cloth does, stuff like Heart of Fire you may as well just vendor).

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am, like you terrible with gold farming.

So what i do is I avoid AH like the fucking plague. Don't go near it. And if you do, SELL stuff.

If you need something like a new leg enchant and what not, first check for the prices. Then check the materials to make it and see if you can get them yourselves. Getting them yourselves and then having a guildie make it for you is alot cheaper (saved around 350g in my server)
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

i used to do dailies but it took 3 hours to do on 6 lvl 80s and the gold return was bad. So i started messing around with my Alchmist, I made 30k gold + Tanking BoEs for my Dk. ( The Boots, Legs, Ring, and i bought some shoulders from the other tank in icc25). I did this all in 7 weeks so it wasnt too bad.

IMO you have missed the boat with JC right now. A lot of guilds have stopped raiding and the last thing you want to do is be stuck with a lot of gems when the Xpac hits. Just do not keep more on hand than you can afford to eat.

TLR Don't tie all your Gold up in Gems, you may get stuck with them.

farm regular ramparts, killing and looting every single mobs and vendoring the greys greens and blues.
    You can easily make about 80g per run and it takes like 15-20 minutes for 1 run if you aoe everything

Uncut gems are still a good way to make some money.

I have to chuckle at amateur economists. Ok well your statement is being made without any real information to make a sound conclusion. For example what is the other profession? See you can't make a conclusion without a very important piece of information.

I am a JC/miner. i can "farm" ore with very little opportunity cost. I mine while doing dailies, flying to raid, and working on rep. does he have other toons with other professions? I have 4 alchemists (I like it for my raiding toons) so I transmute and use the eternals I get from mining or killing fires in WG when no one is around,

See it really doesn't make you look smart when you make a statement without enough information. yet that never stops anyone around here.

Also taking the experience from one low population server and extending it to all is a very poor sampling of data.

Solo old world dungeons and sell the loot. That's what I do.

been wondering this myself,kinda low on gold and primoridal saronites like plummeted in price after the patch

---------- Post added 2010-11-01 at 03:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Polarbear View Post
    hmmm

cut gems sell for more though.but meh,if it sells for more then primordial saronites do then i guess thats another way to get some gold,since im kinda poor at the moment
    Last edited by CrunkJuice5; 2010-11-01 at 03:11 AM.