Thread: Kazmojo's UI

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kazmojo's UI

EDIT: Thanks to all the people on this forum my screen now looks like

http://oi54.tinypic.com/29ehwkl.jpg

its still a work in progress, but its a big step up.
    Last edited by allrightythen; 2010-10-30 at 12:21 AM.
    To break it down even an even lower level, if The Rock looks at his hand, looks back at you, looks at his hand, and looks back at you again and you still don't know to move, you deserve the smack down.-mmo champion forum poster

Well, to be entirely honest; do you need to show any buffs at all in your party frames? What information do you really gain from having them shown?

Part of what helps a UI become uncluttered is making sure it only tells you what you need to know. Everything that is not necessary information can safely be considered clutter.
    Now, everybody definition of necessary information varies. Also, you obviously play on a small resolution (laptop? Ancient monitor/computer?), so that always makes putting together a clean UI more challenging.

You could also potentially make your target's target much smaller - typically the only thing you ever need to know about your target's target is the name, and possibly the health.
    What's on the upper right? If you already have a mode for showing your own buffs, you can safely turn off all your buffs shownig on unit frames, I would think. No reason to have them in two places. Same goes for the cast bar; there's no reason to have two cast bars that show the same thing.

actually my resolution is 1280x1024 everything on max. 19inch flatscreen

the upper right only shows up when i target myself (oddly doesnt show anyone elses buffs up there when i target them, just when i target myself)

also, i explained, those arent two cast bars showing the same thing, one is my cast, the other is my targets cast. I was just targeting myself so it would show up.
    To break it down even an even lower level, if The Rock looks at his hand, looks back at you, looks at his hand, and looks back at you again and you still don't know to move, you deserve the smack down.-mmo champion forum poster

Quote Originally Posted by allrightythen View Post
    actually my resolution is 1280x1024 everything on max. 19inch flatscreen

the upper right only shows up when i target myself (oddly doesnt show anyone elses buffs up there when i target them, just when i target myself)

also, i explained, those arent two cast bars showing the same thing, one is my cast, the other is my targets cast. I was just targeting myself so it would show up.
    I was actually referring to the castbars that are also on your xperl unit frames. You've actually got four castbars there. :P Cleaning up your action bars would be entirely up to you. What I like to do to keep action bars uncluttered (I also use bartender) is to have my nonessential buttons out of the way, say, in the corner or on the side of the screen. I keep those bars scaled way down so the boxes are pretty small, usually in a vertical arrangement, and then keep them faded out unless I mouse over them. That way the only buttons that are normally visible on my screen are my combat-related ones.

As for a buff mod, I would recommend the updated-for-4.0.1 Satrina's Buff Frames, because they are wonderful. Stick them in the upper right, filter out the unimportant stuff, find a nice spot to display debuffs, and you're good to go. That way you'll never have assloads of buff icons cluttering up your unit frames and generally being ugly. :P

that's horrible, it's a bunch of addons stuffed together without any customization at all.
    Tauren > you

the only thing you really need:
    - buttons for the most important abilities. the rest can be hidden.
    - clear player/target/tot frames. you need only YOUR buffs/debuffs.
    - xperl is bad. really. go for pitbull or stuf.
    - you don't need recount.

keep that in mind, you will free much space on your screen.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Oh and now that somebody else has said it, I can say it without feeling bad. I think xperl is really, really, reeeeeeally ugly. ): But whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rain View Post
    that's horrible, it's a bunch of addons stuffed together without any customization at all.
    lol, maybe why im here eh champ?

but no, you just wanted to come in here and be angry >.>

---------- Post added 2010-10-29 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I was actually referring to the castbars that are also on your xperl unit frames. You've actually got four castbars there. :P Cleaning up your action bars would be entirely up to you. What I like to do to keep action bars uncluttered (I also use bartender) is to have my nonessential buttons out of the way, say, in the corner or on the side of the screen. I keep those bars scaled way down so the boxes are pretty small, usually in a vertical arrangement, and then keep them faded out unless I mouse over them. That way the only buttons that are normally visible on my screen are my combat-related ones.

As for a buff mod, I would recommend the updated-for-4.0.1 Satrina's Buff Frames, because they are wonderful. Stick them in the upper right, filter out the unimportant stuff, find a nice spot to display debuffs, and you're good to go. That way you'll never have assloads of buff icons cluttering up your unit frames and generally being ugly. :P
    ok, so i took your advice and disabled all xperls buff monitor thing other then my targets spellstealable buffs (hey, i am a mage)

afte that i scaled my party/raid windows down a little farther. and made my targets target as small as can be since i dont really need it for anything detailed.

the idea for non essential buttons is a good one, i should be able to fit that in the right side of my screen easily.

ill look into the buff mods as well.

and ya, xperl isnt for everyone, i like it though.

lol, maybe why im here eh champ?

but no, you just wanted to come in here and be angry >.>
    Instead of crying, try to reread what i said

No
    customization
    at
    all

HINT HINT: play with your addons instead of leaving them on default settings.
    Tauren > you

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    the only thing you really need:
    - buttons for the most important abilities. the rest can be hidden.
    - clear player/target/tot frames. you need only YOUR buffs/debuffs.
    - xperl is bad. really. go for pitbull or stuf.
    - you don't need recount.

keep that in mind, you will free much space on your screen.
    curiousity...how is xperl bad? i had pitbull once, but it was always a fight with me and my friends to get it to do anything (complicated, at least at the time)

i like recount, but dont worry, i dont stare at it while playing lol. pretty much after the fight and thats it.

---------- Post added 2010-10-29 at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by -Rain View Post
    Instead of crying, try to reread what i said

No
    customization
    at
    all

HINT HINT: play with your addons instead of leaving them on default settings.
    again, thats why im here. to ask for help, i played with them for 2 hours last night, and that was the end result, you can tell me im bad or whatever, dont care, but if your not gonna contribute to this thread, then kindly leave, or i can report you.

curiousity...how is xperl bad? i had pitbull once, but it was always a fight with me and my friends to get it to do anything (complicated, at least at the time)

i like recount, but dont worry, i dont stare at it while playing lol. pretty much after the fight and thats it.
    xperl is bad just beacuse its customizations is only about colors and textures, and some about text.
    other uf addons can give you way more customization and you can make the uf clear, good-looking and get rid of any unwanted info.

i also started with xperl, but when i started to understand lua, got in love with oUF. if you don't want to mess with code, go for pitbull it's an amzing addon. maybe more diffcult to use but it will give you greater results.

hmm, how do i get bartenders action bars to only show up when i mouseover them, i see a fwe options for hiding them, but not that one. do you have to do a custom configure for that? (no clue how to do that either)

ill look at pitbull again, maybe ill warm up to it.

edit: also are there any mods for your chat windows?

Deleted
    Quit flaming.

hmm, how do i get bartenders action bars to only show up when i mouseover them, i see a fwe options for hiding them, but not that one. do you have to do a custom configure for that? (no clue how to do that either)

ill look at pitbull again, maybe ill warm up to it.

edit: also are there any mods for your chat windows?
    What you want to do is go into the bartender options, then go to the visibility tab for the specific bar you want to have faded out, make sure 'fade out' is checked, and then set the slider to how much you want it faded out.

I'd also recommend Shadowed Unit Frames over Pitbull4 if you want something simple. Pitbull4 is fantastic, but only because of how extremely customizable it is. It can be a little overwhelming if you don't work with addons that much.

Kill it, Kill it with fire!!!

What you want to do is go into the bartender options, then go to the visibility tab for the specific bar you want to have faded out, make sure 'fade out' is checked, and then set the slider to how much you want it faded out.

I'd also recommend Shadowed Unit Frames over Pitbull4 if you want something simple. Pitbull4 is fantastic, but only because of how extremely customizable it is. It can be a little overwhelming if you don't work with addons that much.
    well, id be happy with learning how to use pitbull4. For example i have the configure mode up on it, giving me pretty much every possible unit frame there would be. But it doesnt tell me how to disable some of them (like party pets).

i also downloaded prat to mess with my chat frames.

aaannddd i figured that one out ^^, just takes some playin with. ty all whove been helpful. ill come back with any questions i come up with if google fails me

so heres a question, in pitbull. in configuration mode, when i click on 10 player raid or 25 man player raid, i get no unit frames save for myself, and my target. but when i have 5 man party selected for configuration mode, i get party frames.

does pitbull not have raid frames? cuz i cannot find a button to show them.

Quote Originally Posted by proc View Post
    -Idk why you wouldn't want your targets buffs. A great feature of xperl is to only show spell-steable buffs.
    that's what is was trying to say. only useful info should be displayed.

I agree with that other guy... addons on their own are usually ugly and it's up to you to actually make something oraganized.

Here's a very old, but relevant picture of my UI. http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2...1210191540.jpg

1. I would probably say your UI scale is too high especially considering your screen is only 2'' shorter than mine. Your addons are literally pouring over your character, and that's not good.
    2. I don't think titanpanel or whatever is that the bottom is very useful, or aesthetically pleasing personally and if you really want it I would put it at the top.
    3. The abilities are completely disorganized, and the gaps in between them make things worse... Right now I personally hide anything that doesn't have a cooldown that I have hotkeyed with the exception of 1-4. You don't see it in the picture but I have a very small bar of abilities I don't have hotkeyed that I don't use very often above my damage meter.
    4. Your party is a mess. There is no reason you should need to see all their buffs, their pets, or even their icons. I suggest Pitbull if you want to have a tidy setup of bars that are class colored.
    5. Your chat box doesn't need to be 1/6th of your screen.
    6. You don't even need the menu bar showing, I have mine tucked away in a corner faded out to invisibility unless I hover over the spot but I just use hotkeys for all my menus anyways.
    7. If you have an addon showing your buffs at the top right then use it instead of the icons for xperl.
    8. It doesn't look like you even tried to configure your damage meter... you have all the little icons overlapping the words and it's just not pleasing to look at.
    9. Your cast bar doesn't need to be that large, and if you like it that way then put it in a less obtrusive place.
    10. Overall things look thrown around, instead of symmetrical and carefully positioned.

If you fix all that and want to go the extra mile, you can get kgPanels like I have for all the borders and stuff.
    Last edited by lethaldonut; 2010-10-29 at 07:01 PM.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=15172.msg239063#msg239063

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=15061.0

This.