View Poll Results: Which version of Cataclysm will you be using for your download?

Voters
474. This poll is closed
  • I will buy the game discs and install from DVD

229 48.31%
  • I will order the digital sale regardless of missing cinematics

113 23.84%
  • Who cares?

132 27.85%
Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Digital release does not include cinematics

The cinematics will not be downloaded with the pre-order digital copy of Cataclysm.

I don't know about you guys but when I load a new expansion, I want to see the cinematic. Just like when I killed the Lich King, the automatic cinematic popped up and I was in geek heaven.

Here's the post I found with 20 pages already, just posted today: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=1 of people who refuse to use the digital downloader for this reason alone.

For me personally, watching the cinematics on YouTube is NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME. I am insulted that Blizzard would say just watch them on YouTube or the website. Are you kidding me?! The quality is nothing near the same, and not nearly as epic when your game automatically launches into the cinematic like Final Fantasy. I've paid a lot of money into this game, cmon guys, seriously?

Who else is totally miffed by this, and doesn't understand why Blizzard hasn't decided whether or not they will make this a permanent change?

Blue post here:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...53762&sid=1#19

I was already going to get the physical copy, but this would probably turn me off of getting the digital download if i had wanted to do that.

15+ Year Old Account
    The blue poster in that thread could not be more cryptic lol. You'd think they could simply answer if cinematics are going to be included in patches rather than the base download or if people who do the digital download are screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    craaaapppp

10+ Year Old Account
    Omg, really? Now I really won't buy the digital version... They could make something like "You download the major part first, and a hour before the release you can download the first cinematics, and the other ones will be downloaded via background downloader.".... but this, is really.. /facepalm

I agree, conscript.

I suspect that Blizzard doesn't want us to watch any of the cinematics before the actual game is live. That would explain why they are doing it this way. If this is the case, I just want Blizzard to confirm that we will get them at a later date.

Either we will be able to download them separately or someone will figure out a way for us to merge the cinematics into the MPQs.

I pick the fourth option,

(*) Bought the digital download before you found out the cinematics were not included. /facepalm

What's that you want to watch the cinematic again? Go to Youtube. Problem solved.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

Not sure why you think the quality is any different, they're the exact same up on youtube as they are in game... I could really care less about this change. Meh.

I'll be buying the DVD because I've always preferred owning a physical copy of media, at least when I've paid for it :P

Although I never use them after the initial install (at least when it comes to WoW). My vanilla and BC are on CDs and I can't be bothered swapping 9 discs.

Deleted
    Common this doesnt mean you guys will not have those cinametics. You will simply download them later on, since Cataclysm launcher you will easily download and "install" them on the background while playing. I dont see what is the big deal.

Just cause its not included now doesnt mean it wont be later.. like IDK when the patch comes out..

I really don't care at all, I can see it on YouTube all the times I want or download it any time I want.

About the Quality...
    Cataclysm Intro (Downloaded from Youtube):
    Media Length: 00:02:32
    Size: 36MB (38626261 bytes)
    Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 24.00fps [Video]
    Audio: AAC 44100Hz stereo 1411kbps [Audio]
    -vs-
    WotLK Intro (Ingame "WOW_Intro_LK_1024")
    Media Length: 00:03:18
    Size: 53MB (56177056 bytes)
    Video: DXGM 1024x436 24.00fps [Stream 00]
    Audio: MPEG Audio Layer 3 48000Hz stereo 160kbps [Stream 01]

I really don't see a huge difference both from the data above and for I can see on my screen.
    Last edited by Whotek; 2010-10-29 at 11:00 PM.

The pressure from players (and hence, customers) seems pretty obvious. My guess is that Blizzard will cave and include the cinematics in the download before the week is out. There's more than one person in both that thread and the extremely long thread in the general forums asking for a way to go about getting a refund from Blizzard so they can buy a physical copy.

Deleted
    already seen it

and i dont care about it.

sure it looks nice..

but i cant even remember the wotlk video...

Well they will probs release them later, would take out of the game experience which is something blizz wouldnt want. wouldnt it just be the opening cinimatic anyway? cant exactly access the new ingame ones because they are just scripted events.

I think they would have been better off had they not said anything about it and just made some fake files that look as if they are cinematics. They should have known better that hardcore players would go looking for them.

There's something about the game itself opening the cinematics when they happen that is mind blowingly epic for me, and way more so than opening up a file off of my computer and making it full screen. Its just not the same thing.

This reminds me though, I don't know if they are talking about just the opening cinematic, or any other cinematic we will eventually be exposed to. I think some of us are just worried that this means we wont have any cinematics on our game ever.

voted "who cares" since I will be able to see all cinematics right here on this site and or youtube.

your poll is biased since the dvd option includes "i was already going to get the dvd anyway before we knew about this"

I'm still getting the digital download