Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

WG balance explaination plz

I don't understand how WG decides who gets to participate or not. I was waiting in the zone on my lvl 80 rogue and as soon as it comes up with Would you like to join at the 15:00 marker I hit yes. 15 minutes later i get booted cuz its full. Now i have a hard time believing that 200 ppl hit the join battle button in less then a sec then me since i hit it just as the 15:00 marker hits and i am lvl 80 so i know that im not taking any lvl 79 or belows spot. I just dont understand why i have not been able to participate in the last 5 WGs. it's really starting to get on my nerves.
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-

I've had the same problem on my 80 Warrior, I've queued from the battlemages, inside Wintergrasp and from Dalaran and i haven't gotten into a Wintergrasp battle since 4.0.1 hit. I have yet to see an official answer, but there's talk that it's the balancing mechanism they talked about during patch 3.3.5 (or 3.5.5, something like that), similair to the mechanism that will be in Tol Barad; if "xx" horde queue then only "xx" alliance can queue, but a minimum of 20 on each side.

10+ Year Old Account
    So does this mean that if I join a WG or in Cataclysm, TB that if i'm say the last person to enter and then an ally leave that I will be kicked because if so thats is so stupid because why should I be punished for someone having to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by army1237 View Post
    So does this mean that if I join a WG or in Cataclysm, TB that if i'm say the last person to enter and then an ally leave that I will be kicked because if so thats is so stupid because why should I be punished for someone having to leave.
    If people leaving forces people on the other side to get kicked, I can see that getting abused by losing teams (leave on one character, logout, login and queue with another character). As far as Blizzard posts, I've only seen topics on balancing minimum players at the start of WG/TB, nothing about kicking already in people to keep it balanced.

If one side has less members than the other, than the larger side just won't get new members until the lesser side gets more people. No one will get kicked.

I doubt that the horde = alliance thing is implemented, though. On my server, horde regularly has 2-4 tenacity. If the balance queuing was in, that shouldn't be the case. The sides are capped at 120 each (3 full raids), and I know horde on my server have maybe 20-30 people in a battle so alliance must have 40-120 for horde to have tenacity so high.

If you really want to get into Wintergrasp (and soon Tol'barad), only thing you can really do is either:
    1.) Just keep queuing and maybe try at an off-peak hour when fewer are on. Early morning and late at night are the best times for many servers.
    2.) Server transfer to a less [whatever your side is here] dominanted server.
    3.) Faction change if the other side has tenacity regularly.

I'll agree that the 1:1 isn't in yet, but it feels like they changed the ratios. There was a post on the Blizzard PvP forum about this very subject by a Mal'Ganis Horde about the queuing problem, if I can find it again, I'll link it.

Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    If one side has less members than the other, than the larger side just won't get new members until the lesser side gets more people. No one will get kicked.

I doubt that the horde = alliance thing is implemented, though. On my server, horde regularly has 2-4 tenacity. If the balance queuing was in, that shouldn't be the case. The sides are capped at 120 each (3 full raids), and I know horde on my server have maybe 20-30 people in a battle so alliance must have 40-120 for horde to have tenacity so high.

If you really want to get into Wintergrasp (and soon Tol'barad), only thing you can really do is either:
    1.) Just keep queuing and maybe try at an off-peak hour when fewer are on. Early morning and late at night are the best times for many servers.
    2.) Server transfer to a less [whatever your side is here] dominanted server.
    3.) Faction change if the other side has tenacity regularly.

Well whichever side that's been losing more often also gets tenacity if they numbers are even.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabuza View Post
    I don't understand how WG decides who gets to participate or not.
    Way, way, way back when WG was fairly new, a blue post had explained that if more people queued for WG than slots were available, at the commencement of the battle the slots would be assigned at random with no regards to whether or not individuals were in the zone or not or to how early they queued. The only priority given was to 80's over lower levels (I don't remember if after 80's, it was done by level where a 78 would have priority over a 74 or not).
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2010-10-31 at 07:23 AM.

OP have you tried requeueing even after it states the battle is full?

I've noticed a few times that it would say the battles full even when I'd be almost certain I was one of the first to queue but leaving the queue and rejoining allowed me in. Not sure if it's a bug but most of the time it seems to work for me.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    OP have you tried requeueing even after it states the battle is full?

I've noticed a few times that it would say the battles full even when I'd be almost certain I was one of the first to queue but leaving the queue and rejoining allowed me in. Not sure if it's a bug but most of the time it seems to work for me.
    yea ive tried requeing. still nothing. i finalyl got into one today. after about 3 days of trying. I jsut wasnt sure if i didnt understand something or what. now i did not want to mention this cuz we have heard enoguh 4.0.1 QQ on these forums, but as others stated this didnt happen till after 4.0.1 hit. I was just writing it off as a coincidence, but i just dont know.
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-