Bears offense is still hindered greatly by their dreadful offensive line, something I seriously hope they improve upon in the draft(or we could be seeing another Cutler with a broken hand). Overall they've been awesome in free agency. Marshall and Bush for a budget price? Hot damn. I know this is a silly thing to say, but perhaps they both have crimes they need pardoned from the president? :P

Overall, I'm extremeley happy with free agency for Denver as well. A solid safety, CB, two solid TE's, a speedy WR and of course Manning. If we draft a solid Defense Tackle and perhaps pick up a good, reliable RB to give McGahee some breathers then I think we'll definitely be AFC contenders.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Bears offense is still hindered greatly by their dreadful offensive line, something I seriously hope they improve upon in the draft(or we could be seeing another Cutler with a broken hand). Overall they've been awesome in free agency. Marshall and Bush for a budget price? Hot damn. I know this is a silly thing to say, but perhaps they both have crimes they need pardoned from the president? :P

Overall, I'm extremeley happy with free agency for Denver as well. A solid safety, CB, two solid TE's, a speedy WR and of course Manning. If we draft a solid Defense Tackle and perhaps pick up a good, reliable RB to give McGahee some breathers then I think we'll definitely be AFC contenders.
    I wonder if they don't deal Forte now that they have Bush, a guy with excellent starter potential. Their contract talks are going nowhere. Forte is reportedly pissed about them bringing in Bush. Forte has got to be worth a first round pick that they could use to seriously improve their line. If you are the Rams or Bucs, both teams rumored to be interested in Richardson, do you trade down then deal your new first for Forte an established, and still very young talent? If the Browns don't take Tannehill at 4, you'd think that Miami or another team in desperate need of a "QB of the future" would consider trading up for Tannehill if it meant giving away a couple 2s or a 2 and a 3. Although if Cleveland doesn't take Tannehill chances are he will still be on the board at 8 for Miami so that negates everything I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I wonder if they don't deal Forte now that they have Bush, a guy with excellent starter potential. Their contract talks are going nowhere. Forte is reportedly pissed about them bringing in Bush. Forte has got to be worth a first round pick that they could use to seriously improve their line. If you are the Rams or Bucs, both teams rumored to be interested in Richardson, do you trade down then deal your new first for Forte an established, and still very young talent? If the Browns don't take Tannehill at 4, you'd think that Miami or another team in desperate need of a "QB of the future" would consider trading up for Tannehill if it meant giving away a couple 2s or a 2 and a 3. Although if Cleveland doesn't take Tannehill chances are he will still be on the board at 8 for Miami so that negates everything I said.
    Would anyone really give up a 1st round pick though? Any trade would probably 'require' that team working out a long term deal w/ Forte, or you're just gonna have the same problem you're having now. I'm not sure I'd wanna give up a 1st AND pay out a huge contract. When the Ravens traded for McGahee (and made him one of the top 5 paid RB's at the time), it 'only' cost them two 3rd's and a 7th.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would trade Forte as well just because at the moment he is unhappy with his contract so you know he is going to sit games until you give him what he wants. Okay lets say you give him this contract he will probably now only play at 80 percent of his potential that he did last year now that he has his money and he has to know that he is a RB and I wouldn't give running backs any kinda of high money.

Barber retires at the age of 28 that just tells you how short of a career that RB's have in the league.

Forte is in a shitty situation -- the league isn't very run-friendly, but he's good enough to want to have on your team because he can do anything -- but not necessarily at the cost of a 1st round pick. Now he has to share carries with a guy who might challenge him for his spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I would trade Forte as well just because at the moment he is unhappy with his contract so you know he is going to sit games until you give him what he wants. Okay lets say you give him this contract he will probably now only play at 80 percent of his potential that he did last year now that he has his money and he has to know that he is a RB and I wouldn't give running backs any kinda of high money.

Barber retires at the age of 28 that just tells you how short of a career that RB's have in the league.
    That's what it really comes down to for me. I just can't see paying big money for a RB. Their careers are too short and they're too easily replaceable to hand them a huge contract. The Ravens are coming up on a similar situation with Ray Rice ... and I just can't see paying him. Yeah, I love Rice, but I liked McGahee. I loved Jamal Lewis. Hell, I even really liked Priest Holmes when he was here too (before he broke out w/ the Chiefs).

McGahee is a perfect example of why you shouldn't hand out a big contract to a RB. We handed him a big contract and the next year, we end up drafting Ray Rice in the 2nd round. McGahee spends most of that season playing through various ailments and never regains his starting spot while he's w/ the Ravens. That's 2 more years where the team had one of the highest paid backs basically sitting on the bench for most of their games. You just can't have that in a league like the NFL where there's a salary cap.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

I think the RB position is too large of a gamble. Players like Tomlinson are obviously going to define a franchize, but it's pretty rare that a runningback who is so consistently good and healthy comes along and produces for years. Honestly, with the way the league is now I think there's far more value in a guy who can block well and catch passes out of the backfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    That linebacking core won't be touching him. Ignoring the fact that the Broncos' line is actually very good, it just had to block for a guy that held on to the ball for well over 6 seconds, the NFL's no-bullshit rulings on the Saints are going to be keeping defenses wary. Don't be surprised if there is a record low in QB injuries this year. Especially as far as Manning is concerned - him and Brady are league darlings who the NFL doesn't want hurt.
    That's a fair point, but I don't see guys like Harrison adjusting his game because of this. Younger defenses will be a little wary, sure, but teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore and the Giants who are all infused with veteran, all-star players won't be discouraged. Building off of that, if Vilma isn't fined up the ass for this shit, I'm going to be shocked/upset. For all the things they could have, and did fine Harrison for, that should be nothing in comparison.

@Bamboozled Look what NY gave up for Eli and I'm sure if you asked any giants fans they would do it all over again to get those 2 rings he has brought them.
    Alright good point, but there's anomalies with everything. You generally shouldn't give up your first rounders and mortgage your future like this. Three first round picks for anyone in the league is a little much, let alone an unproven rookie who could still be a bust. I mean, there were teams back then that probably offered a similar deal to the Raiders for Russell. Another example is the Walker trade, which, coincidentally, had three first round picks and he never really lived up to his capability like the Vikes hoped.

Also, what are the Dolphins going to do? They didn't land Manning or Flynn and had to settle with Garrard? The Dolphins fans protested the owner and gm for making such boneheaded decisions (or lack of moves/decisions).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post

Also, what are the Dolphins going to do? They didn't land Manning or Flynn and had to settle with Garrard? The Dolphins fans protested the owner and gm for making such boneheaded decisions (or lack of moves/decisions).
    Gerrard's better than Henne at least, or whoever they had last year. But yeah, just ignore Miami, they aren't going anywhere again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Gerrard's better than Henne at least, or whoever they had last year. But yeah, just ignore Miami, they aren't going anywhere again.
    From what I hear Flynn turned down Miami because of the bad coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    From what I hear Flynn turned down Miami because of the bad coaching staff.
    That's kind of a shot at Philbin, don'tcha think? I mean, his old qb coach is now the head coach, and the staff that would be working under him he called bad? Whether it was an intentional shot at Philbin (I don't think it was) or not, that probably hurt him to hear.

10+ Year Old Account
    most people turn down Miami because of their terrible owner and worse GM, perhaps they asked Flynn if his mother was a whore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
    That's kind of a shot at Philbin, don'tcha think? I mean, his old qb coach is now the head coach, and the staff that would be working under him he called bad? Whether it was an intentional shot at Philbin (I don't think it was) or not, that probably hurt him to hear.
    I meant:

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    most people turn down Miami because of their terrible owner and worse GM, perhaps they asked Flynn if his mother was a whore
    I shouldn't post while trying to do stuff in game lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still not 100% on Flynn. I mean, yeah, Green Bay is probably the best place to start a career, of all places, but he didn't play much. Granted, he's probably better than quite a few starters in the league, but still. I wouldn't take that kind of risk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I'm still not 100% on Flynn. I mean, yeah, Green Bay is probably the best place to start a career, of all places, but he didn't play much. Granted, he's probably better than quite a few starters in the league, but still. I wouldn't take that kind of risk.
    He will outplay Tarvaris easily, thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well...yeah, but that's not a big feat

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    OMG I completely forgot about Jeff Ireland asking Dez Bryant, iirc, that in their combine interview. Hilarious.

Honestly I hope Flynn turns out to be the next Kolb and T Jax completely shows him up lol.

TJax rulez.

10+ Year Old Account
    Barber was also a shit head, who retired assuming he would be having a guaranteed future in broadcasting. Man I'm glad that failed hard and he now fucked for life.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kevin Kolb signed a 5 year deal with $21 mil guaranteed, Flynn signed for 3 years and only $10 mil guaranteed, so it seems less risky to me, they aren't on the hook for quite as much should things not pan out

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Barber was also a shit head, who retired assuming he would be having a guaranteed future in broadcasting. Man I'm glad that failed hard and he now fucked for life.
    the retirement of Marion Barber III is probably what was being referred to, as far as Tiki, the Giants have 2 superbowls without him and his brother is still playing, which makes me smile

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I was talking about Marion Barber.