When are teams going to start punishing players for these childish Twitter wars? If anybody else working anywhere were to do this, they'd be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    When are teams going to start punishing players for these childish Twitter wars? If anybody else working anywhere were to do this, they'd be fired.
    Comparing the NFL, to the rest of the US work force, really is an invalid argument. Not like you are going to fire a multi million dollar athlete because he said something racy on Twitter.

But nice try.

i suppose they shouldn't be punished for substance abuse either rite

10+ Year Old Account
    how easy it is to fire somebody is dependent upon how easy it is to replace them, and if it were easy to replace NFL performers the draft would be a lot less interesting

So you now are comparing, twittering, to drug use..

Please stop, you are only proving to others what i already knew..

It's shocking how easily you're missing the entire point.

I'll be cocksure you're getting it: punish != fire
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-05-13 at 05:18 PM.

I understand your point, but they have a by law in place already, you can tweet all you want, as long as not hour before, during game. They have a union, and there is nothing the NFL can do until the by laws are amended. Which no way in hell the Union would let them amended that, because that would encroach players freedom when not on the field.

And as far as your edit, sure..you go find a linebacker or wideout, who can just fill that spot, because you won't that easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering free speech is an apparent right in the States, where as actively cheating the system is not, I really don't think you should attempt to compare the two. Then again, considering the murderers and rapists in the NFL, I guess a twitter war is a big deal.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account

to get your point, all I have to go by are your posts, your post where you clearly equated punishment with firing, beyond that I am unable to read minds and clarify, so I'm forced to go by what I'm given to read

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    to get your point, all I have to go by are your posts, your post where you clearly equated punishment with firing, beyond that I am unable to read minds and clarify, so I'm forced to go by what I'm given to read
    He has no point, all he says is players twittering should be fired, and apparently drug abuse also fits in the category of twittering.
    Oh and twittering gets you fired in a normal job enviorment.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Considering free speech is an apparent right in the States, where as actively cheating the system is not, I really don't think you should attempt to compare the two. Then again, considering the murderers and rapists in the NFL, I guess a twitter war is a big deal.
    There is free speech in the U.S but that doesn't mean your free of the consequence's of what you say. There not going to throw you in prison like they use to in the early days but you can still lose your job,your fan's,your sponsors,your friends and even your family.

OT: Twitter is a double edge sword I think its great that stars and athletes interact with there fans, It lets them know how ordinary there life's really are and not some mythical thing that people perceive. The downfall of it of course is we get to see how some of them are complete jackass's like T.O.,Meta World-Peace,and Chad Ochocinco are. Some athletes and stars can handle it and some can't just like fame itself.

stopbeingdumb, draynay, you both need to work on your reading comprehension. Badly. I feel ashamed having to explain in further detail that punishment and firing are not always the same thing.

You see, when a person does a bad thing, other people (who may also be responsible for this person, like a parent or employer) feel inclined to take action. This can take many forms, such as a "time out" (when that person is excluded from whatever a few other people someone is associate with are doing) to a variety of other things, such as a "firing" (where a grown-up is forced to leave the place he's working) or other even worse things. This grouping of actions taken against a person is what's called a punishment. Various types of punishments are sort of graded on severity, and this is typically done so that a person gets the fair punishment people feel he or she deserves based on the bad thing the person did.

For example, if a person does something bad like saying a naughty word at the dinner table, the person may be asked to leave and not come back until dinner is over. Something to be careful about is that when adults do the same thing, the severity of the punishment can go up based on current circumstances. A Fast Food employee may not be punished much for posting bad things about people online, but if that some employee were a bank teller then he or she might be fired. The differences lie in the type of work the person does and the way the person's work views itself. A bank is supposed to have employees with integrity, which is sort of like being on good behavior, whereas a Fast Food Restaurant may not be as strict about it. The integrity of a workplace, or organization, goes up a lot as its importance gets higher. You see, a bank may have a relatively high expectations of its regular workers, but the corporate "head" of the Banking Corporation has much higher expectations of its high-level workers because of the work they do (and also the money they make). Because there aren't many people in the world that can do the work they do, they are paid a lot of money - but are also expected to act even better. If they don't, they can sometimes never find their kind of work again.

There are certain exceptions. In some cases, the work a person does may be so rare that it's really really hard to get another person to do it was well as they do. Sometimes the punishment has to be lessened because of this, but the person is usually punished to some level of severity because they still did a bad thing.

So do you understand now? Firing is a type of punishment, not punishment itself. I know the two can be very confusing at times, but that's why there's helpful people like me to guide you on your path to acquiring more knowledge.

Or, you know, you could always learn to read and disagree or agree on it rather than posting for the sake of fucking posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    That's not the point I was trying to make. The poster in question failed to understand the point of the comparison, so I made another one - where NFL players aren't fired for something that normal people are, although they are punished. I do admit the second comparison was a tad more sarcastic.

I think teams should make ritualistic spankings the new form of punishment. Nude and in public.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I know better than to bother reading all of that, when I see something less childish I'll respond to it

Were you referring to the Happy Mother's Day tweet my man Osi sent today? If so... really? What a pointless thing to get bent out of shape over. If you don't think it's funny or mature, that's fine. If you think it's worth a fine, no. If you were speaking in a more general sense, still no. If someone says something prejudiced, slanderous, or otherwise offensive or illegal, then we can talk punishment.

It's not like it was a slow day in sports either. Just a stupid, pointless thing to get any kind of media coverage at all. This is a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Were you referring to the Happy Mother's Day tweet my man Osi sent today? If so... really? What a pointless thing to get bent out of shape over. If you don't think it's funny or mature, that's fine. If you think it's worth a fine, no. If you were speaking in a more general sense, still no. If someone says something prejudiced, slanderous, or otherwise offensive or illegal, then we can talk punishment.

It's not like it was a slow day in sports either. Just a stupid, pointless thing to get any kind of media coverage at all. This is a non-issue.
    That was the culmination of a rather lengthy "twitter war" he was having with LeSean McCoy, for whatever stupid reason. Players are using Twitter to insult each other back and forth and it's completely in the public eye. It does the NFL a huge disservice when its players are free to spew whatever they want without any consequences. On one hand, Goodell is trying his damndest to clean up the league, but at the same time players are spouting off (often unintelligible) insults to each other that aren't even in good taste.

I get that they're competitive, but they represent something bigger than they are.

That was the culmination of a rather lengthy "twitter war" he was having with LeSean McCoy, for whatever stupid reason. Players are using Twitter to insult each other back and forth and it's completely in the public eye. It does the NFL a huge disservice when its players are free to spew whatever they want without any consequences. On one hand, Goodell is trying his damndest to clean up the league, but at the same time players are spouting off (often unintelligible) insults to each other that aren't even in good taste.

I get that they're competitive, but they represent something bigger than they are.
    It's been going on since last year and this is first time anyone not in Philly or New York heard anything about it. Goodell's personal conduct policy was intended for crimes and drugs, not guys popping off on Twitter.

I really, really don't want this thread closed after 122 pages. Let's keep it civil here guys.

Pete Carroll elected to keep the interest in football rolling in the offseason. Stating that Russel Wilson, has a legitimate chance to challenge Matt Flynn for the starting spot. Now i love russel wilson as he is from my hometown, but Matt Flynn just has too big of a contract for Pete just to have ride the bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    any QB not named Tarvaris Jackson looks like a potential starter by comparison