10+ Year Old Account
    Tons of season ending injuries happened this week. Weird. Fortunately we are pretty damn healthy, but apparently Kam Chancellor has an ankle problem.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 05:06 PM ----------

Man this pregame show segment for Ray Lewis is depressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And that's why the halo rule needs to come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop it with these interceptions Rivers!
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

John Harbaugh says roster moves will lean toward best player available not necessarily bringing in a cornerback or a linebacker.
    I can only assume this means they're looking at D-Linemen?

Ngata was finally updated. Sprained knee, minor MCL damage. He's not done for the year, but I wouldn't be shocked if he misses a little time. Doubt he'll be 100% again this season.

I'm guessing they're willing to go w/ the current LB core if need be. I totally forgot about backups Ellerbe and Kindle. Ellerbe has been pretty good over the last year in limited time, but Sergio Kindle is a high draft pick from a few years ago that still has yet to get onto the playing field yet. Pretty sure he was inactive every game last year.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Wow that list of people who could play at the Super Bowl should go die in the deepest depths of hell. [...]
    At this point, I don't even really care. I'm resigned to the fact that the halftime show is going to be horrible and make my eyes/ears bleed. Even if they get someone decent, they're just going to pair them w/ Justin Beiber or someone else who equally has no place being in a football stadium.

For all of the things the NFL does right, they seemingly have done everything possible to make sure their Superbowl Halftime show is when I get up to stretch, go to the bathroom, refill my drink/plate, talk about other things, look over my taxes, or really just do anything that does not involve watching this bastardization of time between the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

You'd think they would just keep the tens of millions of dollars they normally waste on this and just have an extended overview of the 1st half by some commentators and throw in some extra commercials.

I am fairly devastated by the Ray Lewis likely career ending injury. Ray is right there with Peyton Manning as my favorite player of my generation of football players. I fucking love Ray Lewis. I don't think there has been a better leader, a better guy who his teammates absolutely look up to, a better heart and soul of a team than Ray Lewis at least not since the 70s. Actually pretty sad about possibly never seeing #52 out there firing everyone up playing his heart out every single down. Dude is the best.

Thankfully Manning is back. Losing Lidstrom, Lewis, and Manning in the same year would suck major balls.
    There's been a lot of talk around Maryland about this over the past 24 hours. I actually think he plays next year. This is as close to a Superbowl caliber team that he's been on in years and the Ravens really don't have many long term solutions at LB. It's basically just Suggs, Kruger and Upshaw. Albeit, one is a pro-bowler* and the other two are guys with a ton of upside, but none of them play MLB. We have McClain whose been pretty good, but you have to wonder how much of that is because he's been playing between Lewis and Suggs. People here were more than a little surprised when the Ravens payed up and resigned him this offseason. He's the type of guy that the Ravens usually let walk, sign somewhere else for too much money and you never hear from again. Guys like Sharper, J. Johnson, Adalius Thomas, Ed. Hartwell, etc.

* - I have a star by 'pro-bowler' because I'm still having problems calling him 'Defensive Player of the Year'. Still can't believe Jared Allen didn't win that.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Stop it with these interceptions Rivers!
    This is a Norv Turner team. I hope you weren't expecting a meaningful win.
    Last edited by Elbren; 2012-10-16 at 04:00 AM.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    Before the half people were saying that Peyton was washed up and done.

Can't put the win fully on him, but SD threw that away completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Before the half people were saying that Peyton was washed up and done.

Can't put the win fully on him, but SD threw that away completely.
    4 picks, a fumble and 35 unanswered points ... all in the 2nd half.

I love the Chargers. lol
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    I need to stop watching/listening to games. When the Chargers lose and I haven't heard or seen any of the game it doesn't really bother me, but as soon as I turn the TV/radio on it just makes me upset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I need to stop watching/listening to games. When the Chargers lose and I haven't heard or seen any of the game it doesn't really bother me, but as soon as I turn the TV/radio on it just makes me upset.
    I gave up at the end of the half. Interception and two special teams turnovers. Guess I should have kept watching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Woke up this morning after going to sleep with the Broncos down 24-0 at the half. Saw Norv Turner and the Chargers blew it and lost badly. Laughed manically. Why the hell does Norv Turner still have a job in the NFL as a head coach?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is how the Chargers second half went:

First drive: Lost fumble
    Second drive: -4 yards, punt
    Third drive: Interception
    Fourth drive: Interception
    Fifth drive: Interception
    Sixth drive: Lost fumble

Just wow.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Juan Castillo fired as defensive coordinator in Philly. Promoted Todd Bowles to take his spot. Writing is on the wall for Andy Reid if he doesn't get the job done this year.

Also been hearing people calling for Turner's head (finally) after that debacle last night. Doubt he survives the season either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Juan Castillo fired as defensive coordinator in Philly. Promoted Todd Bowles to take his spot. Writing is on the wall for Andy Reid if he doesn't get the job done this year.

Also been hearing people calling for Turner's head (finally) after that debacle last night. Doubt he survives the season either.
    That is surprising. Castillo was a remarkably stupid D Coord hire in the first place, but it isn't like the Eagles defense has been bad this year. They have been fairly decent. Certainly not the cause of their losses at least since last I checked the defense didn't play offensive line. Andy should probably lose his job just because he is a fairly incompetent coach, legendarily bad with timeouts and challenges although Jason Garrett is making a serious play for his throne, and the Eagles just aren't improving. Reid has a fantastic record, but the Eagles are in basically the same spot they were a decade ago. Still a talented team making mental mistakes on the field and on the sideline. It is probably time for a change of scenery for both of them. Reid will get hired by another team in about 5 minutes so I'm sure he won't be too heartbroken.

As for Turner, they should have fired him after 2011. They should have fired him after 2010. There is a pattern of people calling for Norv's head and then the GM and ownership just not doing shit about it while the team lingers. Frankly I don't expect them to do it now. I think the ownership has no problem being mediocre or outright terrible right now which is why Smith and Turner have their jobs. The Chargers are absolutely eying that move back to LA and just salivating over the possibility. That becomes easier if their team isn't a success story in recent years. The franchise isn't committed to building a competent team, or they would have found a way to keep Jackson rather than having a receiving corp of nobodies but Gates. Should they fire Norv Turner, abso-fucking-lutely. Will they though? Well, I'm not going to start counting my chickens before they hatch on the Chargers making the right decision about anything when there is the possibility of gold in the hills of LA in the not so distant future.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for Turner, they should have fired him after 2011. They should have fired him after 2010. There is a pattern of people calling for Norv's head and then the GM and ownership just not doing shit about it while the team lingers. Frankly I don't expect them to do it now. I think the ownership has no problem being mediocre or outright terrible right now which is why Smith and Turner have their jobs. The Chargers are absolutely eying that move back to LA and just salivating over the possibility. That becomes easier if their team isn't a success story in recent years. The franchise isn't committed to building a competent team, or they would have found a way to keep Jackson rather than having a receiving corp of nobodies but Gates. Should they fire Norv Turner, abso-fucking-lutely. Will they though? Well, I'm not going to start counting my chickens before they hatch on the Chargers making the right decision about anything when there is the possibility of gold in the hills of LA in the not so distant future.
    I still can't comprehend why teams are so big on the idea of moving to LA. They've had 3 teams move out of that city already ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWeltall2 View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...b8d_story.html

At least now I know I won't be watching the halftime show.
    Well at least Jay Z will probably be there also and at least we are getting closer to relevancy. Beyonce is a pretty big deal right now, was bigger a few years back prior to her kid, rather than being someone from the 70-80s. I completely forgot Beyonce was part of Destiny's Child. She has been "Beyonce" by herself for so long now.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 12:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    I still can't comprehend why teams are so big on the idea of moving to LA. They've had 3 teams move out of that city already ...
    A team in LA means a bigger national TV contract for the league which means more money for the owner. It is also a tremendous amount of increased sponsorship dollars. Plus you know how much suites and season tickets are going to be in LA compared to San Diego or Jacksonville (if they could get out of their arena deal since they have no fanbase)? That alone would make millions every year. You don't get the individual local tv contract like an LA team like the Dodgers has which drove up their value, but the value of a franchise in LA dwarfs that of a franchise in San Diego, Jacksonville, or just about anywhere else in the country except New York.

As for the three teams that left, I guarantee you you can go to every single one of their owners (Al Davis is dead and I can't remember who owned the Rams and Chargers when they were moved) and they will all say it was a mistake not to find a way in LA.

[QUOTE=conscript;18769936]Well at least Jay Z will probably be there also and at least we are getting closer to relevancy. Beyonce is a pretty big deal right now, was bigger a few years back prior to her kid, rather than being someone from the 70-80s. I completely forgot Beyonce was part of Destiny's Child. She has been "Beyonce" by herself for so long now.[COLOR="red"]

I'm just not a fan of hers. Though I had assumed they would have gone with No Doubt since they're latest album just released.

15+ Year Old Account
    So who all do you guys think is going to get fired? I think Castillo is going to be the first domino in major firings over the next two weeks. My top 5 would be:
    1) Jason Garrett. If they lose this week at Carolina I think he is gone. If they win close and then get trounced by the Giants I think he is gone. The Cowboys have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. There is no excuse for a coach making bad decision after bad decision on play calling, challenges, and time management. Romo should be getting more flak than he is for that PHENOMENALLY stupid pass for 2 yards over the middle to Bryant in the last minute, but Garrett has screwed up at least 4-5 games at the end of games since becoming the coach. The defense has largely figured it out under Rob Ryan now and the offense has went downhill.
    2) Chan Gailey. He was a bad hire in the first place and has reinforced what everyone thought of him. Chan Gailey is and always has been a bad coach. He has made numerous management errors, but it doesn't get much bigger than his errors this week. The Bills are up by three, successfully running the ball, what do they do? Go Wildcat and throw a hail mary with a QB who has absolutely no arm for deep balls at all. Interception, tie game. He tried to ice the Cards kicker. On a SIXTY ONE yard FG. They go into OT and again, despite running great all day, pass, pass, pass, pass before finally remembering that the whole running thing was killing the Cards. They drive to the 35 yard line and PUNT. PUNT. A punt from the 35 is almost always going to be a touchback. It was. Then they were bailed out of his horrible coaching by Skelton throwing a pick immediately.
    3) Romeo Crennel. The Chiefs have been fucking awful. Enough said.
    4) Mike Mularkey. The Jags have been fucking awful. They have a terrible roster, no Qb, and just suck everywhere so I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't fired this year.
    5) Pat Shurmur. The Browns are probably overachieving right now at 1-5. Seriously. He has made some terrible coaching decisions this year also. The Browns have new ownership so cleaning house is expected. I don't expect him to get fired until after the season though because honestly what are the Browns playing for right now except the #1 pick?

I want to put Ron Rivera up there too, but I feel like he will get until next season for the Panthers to improve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mike Holmgren is leaving Cleveland, so I can see more changes coming to the Browns. So Shurmur is probably gone. Jason Garrett, maybe, but I don't think the expectations are as high as "shut-the-hell-up-Jerry-Jones" thinks. Don't forget Andy Reid. No playoffs, no job, and that probably includes a Michael Vick trade.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWeltall2 View Post
    I'm just not a fan of hers. Though I had assumed they would have gone with No Doubt since they're latest album just released.
    Its the same issue as last years show. Beyonce is not relevant with the audience. Beyonce is going to add 13 year old girls to the potential audience while tuning out far, far more people during half time. I don't get it, I really don't. All of the networks on TV, all the other sport's leagues are all about the 18-49 eyeballs. The NBAs big events have popular rock/rap acts. The NHL even brought in Nickleback who is popular despite being hated for their awards show. Baseball doesn't count since I think they would put a player piano out there if they could get a mic hooked up to it. The NFL and its TV partners, especially NBC, for some reason abandon that strategy when it comes to NFL entertainment. No Doubt, Madonna, etc. aren't popular with the key demographic that drives the NFLs ratings. Their older rock acts barely fall inside that demographic nowadays.

Oh well, at least we get hot, scantily clad Beyonce shaking it instead of 60 year old Madonna.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Mike Holmgren is leaving Cleveland, so I can see more changes coming to the Browns. So Shurmur is probably gone. Jason Garrett, maybe, but I don't think the expectations are as high as "shut-the-hell-up-Jerry-Jones" thinks. Don't forget Andy Reid. No playoffs, no job, and that probably includes a Michael Vick trade.
    They have a window after the season where they can flat out cut Vick at little or no actual cost to the team. I honestly expect them to take that just because his contract is freaking terrible. I am quickly running out of the ability to defend him as a starting NFL QB. The talent is there, but man he just refuses to change. They would be better with a capable offensive line, but that isn't going to erase all the dumb decisions he makes.

And ya Cleveland cleaned house on some of its upper management today with Haslam officially taking the reins as owner. Imagine a year in which Holmgren and his mustachioed doppelganger Andy Reid gets fired. Hopefully Cowher comes back or the mustache quota in the NFL is going to be way down.

So who all do you guys think is going to get fired? I think Castillo is going to be the first domino in major firings over the next two weeks. My top 5 would be:
    1) Jason Garrett. If they lose this week at Carolina I think he is gone. If they win close and then get trounced by the Giants I think he is gone. The Cowboys have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. There is no excuse for a coach making bad decision after bad decision on play calling, challenges, and time management. Romo should be getting more flak than he is for that PHENOMENALLY stupid pass for 2 yards over the middle to Bryant in the last minute, but Garrett has screwed up at least 4-5 games at the end of games since becoming the coach. The defense has largely figured it out under Rob Ryan now and the offense has went downhill.
    2) Chan Gailey. He was a bad hire in the first place and has reinforced what everyone thought of him. Chan Gailey is and always has been a bad coach. He has made numerous management errors, but it doesn't get much bigger than his errors this week. The Bills are up by three, successfully running the ball, what do they do? Go Wildcat and throw a hail mary with a QB who has absolutely no arm for deep balls at all. Interception, tie game. He tried to ice the Cards kicker. On a SIXTY ONE yard FG. They go into OT and again, despite running great all day, pass, pass, pass, pass before finally remembering that the whole running thing was killing the Cards. They drive to the 35 yard line and PUNT. PUNT. A punt from the 35 is almost always going to be a touchback. It was. Then they were bailed out of his horrible coaching by Skelton throwing a pick immediately.
    3) Romeo Crennel. The Chiefs have been fucking awful. Enough said.
    4) Mike Mularkey. The Jags have been fucking awful. They have a terrible roster, no Qb, and just suck everywhere so I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't fired this year.
    5) Pat Shurmur. The Browns are probably overachieving right now at 1-5. Seriously. He has made some terrible coaching decisions this year also. The Browns have new ownership so cleaning house is expected. I don't expect him to get fired until after the season though because honestly what are the Browns playing for right now except the #1 pick?

I want to put Ron Rivera up there too, but I feel like he will get until next season for the Panthers to improve.
    1. I don't feel Jason Garrett would be fired that quickly(though I wouldn't put it past Jerry Jones), however, if they don't improve, there's a good chance he'll be gone by the end of the season.
    2. No opinion, don't really follow the Bills. Though they spent way too much money on Mario Williams, especially considering his production.
    3. Agreed.
    4. It's never a good idea to only give a coach just one year to turn a team around.
    5. Agreed.