10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Jets/Pats 23/23

Jags/Raiders 23/23

Something tells me the Jets/Pats game has been nothing like this comedy of errors though.
    Ohhhh no. Its pretty bad. Its 26/23 now Jets in the lead, NE has the ball.

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 04:40 PM ----------

That PI was bullshit. Ref 4 yards away didn't throw a flag, ref 25 yards down the field did.

10+ Year Old Account
    6 seconds left on the clock. Janikowski goes for a 64 yard field goal.

Was never going to happen below sea level, but I never thought it'd be that close.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    6 seconds left on the clock. Janikowski goes for a 64 yard field goal.

Was never going to happen below sea level, but I never thought it'd be that close.
    Why wouldn't it? Some high school kid kicked a 67 yd fg the other day, and the only reason the record isn't higher in the NFL is because coaches value field position so damn high that these super long kicks only get attempted at the end of halfs/games.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-10-22 at 01:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Why wouldn't it? Some high school kid kicked a 67 yd fg the other day, and the only reason the record isn't higher in the NFL is because coaches value field position so damn high that these super long kicks only get attempted at the end of halfs/games.
    In the NFL you got freak of nature 6'6" guys reaching for the ball, not to mention coming for you. At that range the ball is going to be kicked low anyway to get enough horizontal force to get it to the uprights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    In the NFL you got freak of nature 6'6" guys reaching for the ball, not to mention coming for you. At that range the ball is going to be kicked low anyway to get enough horizontal force to get it to the uprights.
    Not to mention location. The raiders were playing 20ft below sea level, the wind is non existent at that altitude.

There's a reason most of the kicking records are at Mile High.

Deleted
    But you also have kickers that have trained for 10+ years and do nothing else but pratice these kicks. Even if you have the freak defenders and less than ideal conditions it should be entirely doable for the really hard kicking kickers such as Sebastian Janikowski to achieve. It's not the first time Janikowski has tried either, just check this 64 yd attempt at Oakland (in 2007) which hits the right cross bar:

10+ Year Old Account
    Janikowski also wasn't playing the entire 2007 season with a groin strain, he hasn't had a full practice session this season because of it.

Of course he can do it, and I've no doubt he will do it at some point, the look on his face when he kicked the game winner was that of a guy who was still pissed about not making it. These guys can hoof it 70 yards in practice when there's no one opposing them, and I think we're a handful of seasons away from someone kicking 65 in a game situation.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Panthers FINALLY fired their GM Marty Hurney. Sure the move is 4-5 years late and now they are saddled with horrible contracts all around the team (like the $70 million or so tied up in the running backs, the huge contract given to a guy with 3-4 ACL injuries in his 2-3 year career).

Yup, the AFC North is still a two horse race. The Steelers' could have, and should have, absolutely buried the Bengals in the first half last night. Mike had a serious case of the dropsies, resulting in 14 pts off the board. Coulda, shoulda, woulda isn't going to cut it, but the Bengals are lucky that the Steelers came out flat in the first half or they would have been embarrassed at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not NFL related but it's football and most relevant here, probably doesn't deserve its own thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...192107913.html

Short story: coaches and refs fucked up big time, allowing five concussions in a pop warner game. And letting the game go on longer than it should have, since apparently there's a rule that calls a game after one team goes up 28-0.

Now, I won't comment on that rule much, other than I don't know much about football about that age. But 28-0 does not seem like a big enough lead to call a game (in baseball I think it's typically ten runs, that feels like a much bigger lead). Hats off to them for basically banning the coaches, refs, and pop warner officials. You don't hear about five concussions in several weeks in the NFL, and that's 32 teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kids don't know how to tackle. They need to be taught this if they are playing fully padded football with helmets.

28-0 thing isn't real. One of the comments said "The one thing in the article that is incorrect is the mercy rule statement. When a team is leading by 28 points or more, the game is not stopped but is truncated (running clock, no defensive blitzing by the winning team, winning team must run all plays between the tackles, etc...)."

Its a shame that all this stuff about concussions is really a factor in kids wanting to play football now days. Coaches need to coach better.

10+ Year Old Account
    And Cutler is down, doesn't look good.

Looks like he got up and walked off by himself.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The Panthers FINALLY fired their GM Marty Hurney. Sure the move is 4-5 years late and now they are saddled with horrible contracts all around the team (like the $70 million or so tied up in the running backs, the huge contract given to a guy with 3-4 ACL injuries in his 2-3 year career).
    yea the RB contracts just confused me, I commented in here back when he signed Stewart, signing two RBs to contracts around $40mil while everybody else is shying away from spending big on the position was a pretty crazy move and it doesn't surprise me to see him gone

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    yea the RB contracts just confused me, I commented in here back when he signed Stewart, signing two RBs to contracts around $40mil while everybody else is shying away from spending big on the position was a pretty crazy move and it doesn't surprise me to see him gone
    Especially considering both guys are injury prone, neither has ever produced consistently, the position is laughably replaceable through the draft and their QB carries a hefty chunk of their rushing game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't think the Lions would stink this bad in this game.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Nate Burleson broke his leg, out for the season.

Even though the Lions looked pretty anemic tonight... thats a huge loss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Nate Burleson broke his leg, out for the season.

Even though the Lions looked pretty anemic tonight... thats a huge loss.
    Time for Ryan Broyles to step up and show that all the potential he showed in college pre-injury is still there. I fully endorse the Lions going into tank mode now to get a quality high pick.

I thought the Lions would regress, but this has been pretty awful.

conscript, if the Lions do tank, do they go RB? Trade the pick for extras so they can shore up the o-line and the secondary? I think the lack of running game is clearly hurting them, but coaching seems to be the biggest problem. The team is majorly underachieving.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Time for Ryan Broyles to step up and show that all the potential he showed in college pre-injury is still there. I fully endorse the Lions going into tank mode now to get a quality high pick.
    There's been talk on some of the Lions' boards of if they're in a position to draft Geno Smith, would they pull the trigger or not. So I'll ask you the same thing -- if the Lions have Smith sitting on the board for wherever they're drafting, would you combine Smith and Megatron? Or is Stafford not the problem to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    conscript, if the Lions do tank, do they go RB?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. RBs are incredibly replaceable and draft talent is completely similar in the first and seventh round. Plus I'm not convinced LeShoure isn't the long term solution there.

Lets say the Lions end up with the fourth pick (I think they are at 4-5 right now). If there is a game changing LT on the board take him. If there is a game changing CB on the board take him. If not, trade back. Burning that pick on a RB is phenomenally stupid, as Cleveland will find out soon enough. The Lions O-line hasn't been able to run block in over a decade since Barry retired. Our secondary is abysmal. If we can address those issues through an early draft pick, we need to do it. If not, trade back and find talent later.

I am hesitant to say this, but I don't think they are underachieving that much. Honestly, I think they overachieved last year. Megatron put up a historic season last year. There was no way that was going to repeat although I don't think anyone thought it would be this bad. The Lions faced god knows how many fourth quarter deficits last year they managed to throw their way out of thanks to Megatron. That ability hasn't been there this year because our other passing options have vanished. Pettigrew can't catch. Young has completely vanished. Burleson was nothing to write home about before his injury. Broyles hasn't been on the field enough. The passing game sucks, our line can't run block, so the offense is floundering. Our defense is built just like the Manning Colts. Get a lead, let the D-line go nuts after the QB. The offense can't build a lead which has neutered the defense quite a bit.

And I haven't even mentioned the Lions discipline problem yet. They are 6th in the league in penalties this year after being 2nd last year just behind the Raiders. They can't stop themselves from making stupid decisions on the field. The Lions need some sort of leadership on the sidelines that Schwartz clearly hasn't been able to give. I don't want to call for a coaching change, but the Lions need to find some way to change this culture of responsibility lapses both on and off the field.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 01:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
    There's been talk on some of the Lions' boards of if they're in a position to draft Geno Smith, would they pull the trigger or not. So I'll ask you the same thing -- if the Lions have Smith sitting on the board for wherever they're drafting, would you combine Smith and Megatron? Or is Stafford not the problem to you.
    I like Geno Smith, a lot. I think he has the potential to be a great QB in the NFL. I am not at all willing to write off Stafford yet though. We are talking about a guy who threw for the 4th or 5th most yards in NFL HISTORY last year. Stafford's numbers have been bad this year and at times he has looked downright awful (the entire Rams game where he was just flat out missing reads comes to mind). I honestly think it is a combination of factors though. The line has been mediocre. The running game goes invisible for multiple games in a row. A couple of guys who were productive in the passing game for the Lions last year have vanished. Stafford hasn't been great but there are bigger issues with the Lions. I'll hit on those shortly as I am about to switch computers. Incoming long reply.

---------- Post added 2012-10-23 at 01:26 PM ----------

Alright at my other work computer now (which has a super loud keyboard so this is going to annoy the hell out of me).

I think one of the biggest issues facing the Lions (along with their lack of discipline) is their inability to draft. Take the past four drafts.
    2009- Stafford, Pettigrew, Delmas, Levy. Four solid picks in the first three rounds. The other picks were busts as you can usually expect until you get to Zach Follett who was a hell of a special teams player until his neck injury ended his career.
    2010- Suh and Willie Young in the 7th. Every other pick including Best in the 1st has been a total bust.
    2011-Fairley, Young, LeShoure. LeShoure is an unknown. Fairley looks lazy most of the time. Young has vanished. I don't even think they had any late round picks.
    2012-Reiff, Broyles, About 13 LBs and CBs who are all misses. Reiff hasn't produced yet. Broyles I am very confident in.

The Lions have largely struck out in the draft. They have had the fortune (misfortune?) to have some incredibly high picks in the last four years. A couple of those have worked out (Stafford, Suh for his rookie year then in flashes since, Delmas when healthy) but most haven't panned out at all and don't look like they are developing into what we want. Outside of Willie Young, they have done a fantastically terrible job of drafting players past the third round. I think those drafting issues are coming home to roost. The Lions are saddled with large contracts making them unable to participate in free agency when good corners are on the board (like Cortland Finnegan who almost singlehandedly beat the Lions in week 1). The Lions have had to draft talent to fill those voids and they have swung and missed on player after player. The secondary is as bad as it was when they drafter Delmas in 2009. The LB core is nothing to write home about. The D-Line can't produce like it was built to because we can't get a lead on offense.

The Lions need to address a whole bunch of personnel issues on the field and a whole bunch of discipline issues on and off the field before this team will be a legit Super Bowl contender. It isn't something Geno Smith can fix. It isn't something a single OT can fix. It isn't something a single CB can fix unless you stumble on the next Revis in the draft. The best teams in the NFL have a pedigree of drafting and developing guys from every round of the draft, not just the top rounds. Perfect Detroit foil is the Red Wings. The Red Wings best players are guys they found in the 6th and 7th rounds. Anyone can draft at #1 and #2 and have a good chance of having success. It takes a real talent to draft in later rounds and the Lions haven't shown the ability to find mid-low round talent over the last decade plus.