All those penalties, lapses in judgement, instances of poor communication, and the general attitude of the team... that stuff all comes from the top. The coach just isn't handling those things. That's why I really don't think the Lions are this bad. They have talent. They might even be able to salvage the running game if they get a decent line. So a team that is ostensibly an o-lineman and a CB away from contending shouldn't be last in it's division.

That being said, you don't need a great running game to win in the NFL anymore, but what the Bears did last night was embarrassing, or should have been for Detroit. They played both safeties deep the entire night. It never even entered Chicago's mind that they might be needed for run support. That's the kind of thing that makes teams draft a running back high. It might be a mistake, but I couldn't particularly blame them for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    NFL.com was extremely generous with Seattles power rankings. More than I am.

Its kinda weird to look at organizations that have clear upper management issues. Something I haven't had to worry about for a few years now. John Schneider is probably one of the top 5 GMs in the league. The drafting that this team does really makes me raise an eyebrow at the time, but when you see these young players actually play its insane.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I think one of the biggest issues facing the Lions (along with their lack of discipline) is their inability to draft..

- info here -
    I think you're spot on for a lot of teams here that are struggling, including the Lions. If you look at the teams who have had high(er) picks in recent drafts, those are the teams that are at least starting to turn the corner and produce. Teams like Houston, San Francisco, Redskins and even the Vikings are younger teams that have hit on most of their picks in the draft and it's starting to pay dividence. The Lions do have a plethora of issues, but the I'd say the inconsistency of Stafford might be the biggest one. Granted, there's really not a number 2 target outside of Johnson which makes him stare down receivers and be predictable, but he's still a 5000 yard passer. Somethings gotta give in Detroit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as a fan of the 49'ers, it is easy to understand where it seems hard to blame players for some of the mistakes that are occurring. As people have said, Schwartz and co. haven't been able to reduce penalties on the team, and lacking discipline can seriously bone the whole squad.

I am friends with a guy at work who is a die hard Lions fan, and he has been ranting about needing an offensive line for a couple of years now. The day after the draft when they picked up Rieff, he actually grabbed me in a bear hug and said "FINALLY! Now I hope he pans out like your guys have." The games can be own in the trenches quite often, look at the 9'ers O-line, they have been paving runs for Gore like there is no tomorrow, but when they start going against a disruptive force IE: The NY Giants D-line, it starts to slow down, the Lions have the D-line, they need to start building the O-line now.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

MJD has a sprained foot, according to ESPN.

Means he is out at least 3 weeks, but does not need surgery. Meanwhile Blaine Gabbert is having MRI's on his shoulder. Jags should be better than they are but that still hurts.

And MJD got me a loss this week in FFL and I'm third on the waiver wire and have to hope I get Jennings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    MJD has a sprained foot, according to ESPN.

Means he is out at least 3 weeks, but does not need surgery. Meanwhile Blaine Gabbert is having MRI's on his shoulder. Jags should be better than they are but that still hurts.

And MJD got me a loss this week in FFL and I'm third on the waiver wire and have to hope I get Jennings.
    I was overjoyed to hear it was a L-F injury. I lucked out and managed to get Jennings without somebody vulturing him in the MMO-C league. Hopefully he looks as good as he did earlier in the year because relying on LeShoure scares me badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Richard Sherman changed his twitter name to Optimus Prime.

Guess we know whos covering Megatron next Sunday.

15+ Year Old Account
    Completely baffled that name was available on Twitter. Must have paid someone to give it up lol. Also, when the Lions do eventually find another WR to compliment Megatron, can we call him Starscream even though Starscream was a totally treacherous douche?

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely baffled that name was available on Twitter. Must have paid someone to give it up lol. Also, when the Lions do eventually find another WR to compliment Megatron, can we call him Starscream even though Starscream was a totally treacherous douche?
    He just changed his name in the personal settings. Pretty simple to do.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Especially considering both guys are injury prone, neither has ever produced consistently, the position is laughably replaceable through the draft and their QB carries a hefty chunk of their rushing game.
    and I forgot about him going out and signing Tolbert too, pretty cool...

the Lions have to be smarter than to go RB in the first, its just not a good investment anymore, have a look at recent 1st round RBs Trent Richardson hasn't done anything yet, Ryan Mathews is good, but he's had injuries and wasn't any more effective than the UFA FB he was splitting carries with his first two years. Ingram and Best haven't done much and Spiller was a bust who is just starting to show a little ability. Beanie Wells, Donald Brown, Knowshon Moreno, mediocrity and injury. 2008 is all injury prone guys (except CJ1K) and none of them have had enough consistency. You have to go back to the 2007 draft with Peterson and Lynch before you find 1st rounders that are doing anything in the league. 2005 and 06 were dud years too, it just isn't working out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spiller a bust...? I understand absolutely no one pays attention to the Bills, but we've had Fred Jackson(Who is pretty damn good.) as our starter, thus Spiller got limited playing time after a mediocre first season. This season and 5 games last season he's showed tremendous talent and one of only two consistencies on our offense. He isn't anywhere close to a bust, he was just drafted by a retarded GM.

He's currently averaging 7.3 yards per carry this season, those aren't bust numbers. He'd also be first in yards had he not been injured and probably top 3 in TDs if Chan Gailey wasn't butt fuck retarded.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-10-25 at 06:38 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    if Chan Gailey wasn't butt fuck retarded.
    I didn't mention this earlier in the week, but what the fuck was Gailey doing last week? For the second week in a row the Bills are running fantastically trying to kill clock and he calls up a deep pass that is picked. He made the incredibly stupid call at the end of the third to go for the extra point and make it a six point game instead of going for the two and making it seven, and look what happens they lost by 1. The win probability between holding that 5 point lead (if you miss the two point conversion) and 6 point lead are almost identical and far, far worse than if you were up by 7. This is two weeks in a row and at least the third this season that a Bills game was directly influenced by absolutely indefensible coaching decisions that show a completely lack of understanding of the game situation. I don't know who is worse Gailey or Pat Shurmur in Cleveland, but neither of those guys should ever be in a position to make one of those calls as a head coach on any football team ever again.

Spiller a bust...? I understand absolutely no one pays attention to the Bills, but we've had Fred Jackson(Who is pretty damn good.) as our starter, thus Spiller got limited playing time after a mediocre first season. This season and 5 games last season he's showed tremendous talent and one of only two consistencies on our offense. He isn't anywhere close to a bust, he was just drafted by a retarded GM.

He's currently averaging 7.3 yards per carry this season, those aren't bust numbers. He'd also be first in yards had he not been injured and probably top 3 in TDs if Chan Gailey wasn't butt fuck retarded.
    I watched the game this past weekend and I had to laugh as the Bills blew it. They sure have knack of throwing games away. However, I had a bigger laugh at the ending of the Pats-Jets game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mention this earlier in the week, but what the fuck was Gailey doing last week? For the second week in a row the Bills are running fantastically trying to kill clock and he calls up a deep pass that is picked. He made the incredibly stupid call at the end of the third to go for the extra point and make it a six point game instead of going for the two and making it seven, and look what happens they lost by 1. The win probability between holding that 5 point lead (if you miss the two point conversion) and 6 point lead are almost identical and far, far worse than if you were up by 7. This is two weeks in a row and at least the third this season that a Bills game was directly influenced by absolutely indefensible coaching decisions that show a completely lack of understanding of the game situation. I don't know who is worse Gailey or Pat Shurmur in Cleveland, but neither of those guys should ever be in a position to make one of those calls as a head coach on any football team ever again.
    I'm usually not one to put blame on a coach, but Gailey is just throwing games away. You have a RB averaging 7.3 YPC, 3 minutes left on the clock and are up by 6. DEEP PASS OF COURSE. Week before? Exact same fucking situation, thankfully Byrd caught a horrendous pass by Skelton, otherwise we'd be 2-5. It's just embarrassing, and he needs to be fired.

10+ Year Old Account

they didn't draft CJ in the top 10 so he could back up a UFA, that right there shows you the poor value in drafting a RB high, the undrafted guy could not be supplanted by the #9 overall pick and that is the point I was trying to make

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    they didn't draft CJ in the top 10 so he could back up a UFA, that right there shows you the poor value in drafting a RB high, the undrafted guy could not be supplanted by the #9 overall pick and that is the point I was trying to make
    Actually they did draft him just for that, it's just we made an overall retarded pick. We drafted him to be our number 2, so we could ship out Lynch due to his ever growing police record. He outplayed Jackson in pre-season and got the nod and had a mediocre first season.

It was an awful draft pick, but the guy isn't close to a bust. I'm defending CJ, not the pick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually they did draft him just for that, it's just we made an overall retarded pick. We drafted him to be our number 2, so we could ship out Lynch due to his ever growing police record. He outplayed Jackson in pre-season and got the nod and had a mediocre first season.

It was an awful draft pick, but the guy isn't close to a bust. I'm defending CJ, not the pick.
    nobody is debating Buffalo doesn't know how to draft, the argument is that a backup RB is not a top 10 pick, however you want to interpret it, on that point we agree

I'm going to post this in the NCAA forums as well, but it looks like Lattimore's playing future is in serious, serious jeopardy here. For those of you who don't know or didn't see what happened ...

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH -- DO NOT VIEW.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...njury/1662359/

For a kid with such high potential and in all likelihood was going to be a star in the NFL, this is just upsetting. Prayers with him and his family and I hope we see him back sometime soon.

I've been watching football for 15-20 years at this point. That's one of the worst injuries I've ever seen. Saw it live, and you knew it was bad as it happened just by the way the players on the field reacted. The replay is just brutal though. Yea, he was very likely a first rounder in the NFL draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw a still of it and that was enough.

Yeah, I really don't think you can ever recover from an injury like that.