Because a coin flip makes so much sense amirite. Hey, lets decide an extremely important aspect of the game using an object that has NOTHING to do with the game at all and has ABSOLUTELY NO SKILL involved with it. Genius. You know theyd be better off having the players sit down and playing a game of Stratego to decide who wins. At least in that the player has some control over whether they win or lose.

Nobody is asking you to throw Aaron Rodgers out there. You just take some speedy guys that would normally be your special teamers. An even better thing than a race to the ball would be having the guys play a game of 500 using a machine to launch the ball. That would result in less injury and still involve some skill in winning it, as the player would have to use positioning and leaping ability to be the first to catch it. Similar to the NBA jump ball.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really who gets the ball first isn't that important. In fact I would almost rather defer and get the ball to start the second half.

I wouldn't care so much about the opening kick off, so much as how overtime starts. I *think* that's where the concern is coming from, but I haven't been watching too many games lately. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I wouldn't care so much about the opening kick off, so much as how overtime starts. I *think* that's where the concern is coming from, but I haven't been watching too many games lately. I could be wrong.
    Yes case in point the Bears didnt even have a chance to respond in their overtime game versus Seattle all because Seattle won the coin toss. Jay Cutler was actually outplaying Russell Wilson to that point and could have just as easily responded with a touchdown drive of his own but was never given the opportunity. Its stupid to put such an important aspect of the game on a coin flip. No important decisions in life should be decided by coin flips. All I want is some aspect of "Football" to be the reason a team gets the ball first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Yes case in point the Bears didnt even have a chance to respond in their overtime game versus Seattle all because Seattle won the coin toss. Jay Cutler was actually outplaying Russell Wilson to that point and could have just as easily responded with a touchdown drive of his own but was never given the opportunity. Its stupid to put such an important aspect of the game on a coin flip. No important decisions in life should be decided by coin flips. All I want is some aspect of "Football" to be the reason a team gets the ball first.
    they could respond by preventing a touchdown

10+ Year Old Account
    Terell Suggs forced to surrender several guns after domestic disputes.

Who knew he was a violent person? .... Also, I like how the article tries to spin this into more talk about Belcher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Terell Suggs forced to surrender several guns after domestic disputes.

Who knew he was a violent person? .... Also, I like how the article tries to spin this into more talk about Belcher.
    That article is crap. I don't blame most NFL players for having guns, as a famous young (and most likely stupid) multimillionaire you're an easy target for home invasions. Having a gun to protect yourself in a society where criminals with guns is the norm you can't really expect much else either.

If we're on the topic of replacing the coin flip, I think each team gets a pot-bellied piglet to train. Instead of coin flips, opposing teams' piglets race 15 yards to a ham.

10+ Year Old Account
    too disturbing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    they could respond by preventing a touchdown
    Thats why the coin flip was so crucial, the Defense was just on the field for a hard worked 98 yard drive, then Cutler went out for 2 plays, Seattle won the toss and Bears D had to go back out again.

10+ Year Old Account
    then they had 98 yards to have prevented it

defense is marginalized enough in this sport, I've said enough earlier in the thread I don't feel like dredging it up again

too disturbing
    Why? It could be puppies, if that's better. I'd love to see a puppy race replace coin flips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Why? It could be puppies, if that's better. I'd love to see a puppy race replace coin flips.
    it was pigs racing toward ham that did it in for me, what happens when they get there?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    it was pigs racing toward ham that did it in for me, what happens when they get there?
    They comment cannibalism if you mean the puppies Idk

Hahaha whoops didn't catch that. Makin' bacon with Macon! (brownie points for those who know what I'm talking about)

Okay, some sort of cute animal race for a treat. A far better option than a coin flip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Hahaha whoops didn't catch that. Makin' bacon with Macon! (brownie points for those who know what I'm talking about)

Okay, some sort of cute animal race for a treat. A far better option than a coin flip.
    just remember its less cute when they eat the loser of last week's race

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-12-08 at 09:22 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

15+ Year Old Account
    Wonder if people are going to use that to manufacture an argument against drinking like they did guns. When I saw that pop up earlier today with Cowboy killed in drunk driving accident I immediately assumed it would be Dez Bryant. Don't be an idiot by drinking and driving. Don't be a bigger idiot and get in the car with a drunk driver.

I think the charges are bullshit. If he had killed an innocent bystander, ok, send him to jail for 20 years, but someone who gets in the car with a drunk driver should be just as responsible as the drunk driver himself. When you give Brent the same charges as you would have given him if he killed an innocent bystander you're basically saying that Brown wasn't at fault at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I check the fixture list, completely forgetting that we played Thursday and saw we lost, sums up the week I've had.

Not sure whether to watch the Falcons/Panthers game or the Skins/Ravens. Unless anyone has other recommendations.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.