Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Rex Ryan I do believe should have been fired, along with the GM. They turned a decent situation into an absolute zoo, and they really seemed to lose control and the identity of that team. There was always the danger of non-football issues surpassing football issues with the Jets, and then they threw gas onto the fire by getting Tebow. And Ryan is the wrong personality type for a New York team. Press loves him, but they need someone who will keep his head down and keep working at things instead of constantly craving attention and stirring the pot.
    2 years ago everyone was saying he's the perfect personality for NY. And I don't know how much we can blame Rex for the Tebow thing. I have a feeling that was more the GM considering how Rex didn't play the guy and the GM was the one who got fired. If it was Rex's idea to bring in Tebow then I'll change my opinion (because that was horribly, horribly wrong), but I don't think I could ever know that for sure.

Leinart is a bust, always has been, and always will be.
    Maybe, but he's infinitely better than every QB the Cards have started since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    It's not all Romo's fault. Most of the blame for that loss should fall squarely on the defense. However, three picks when you needed his A game was just par for the course from him. He'll always be good, never great.

Vetali, as far as I know Garrett is still employed. Did I miss one?
    I think he's more surprised that Garrett is staying. So far as a head coach, he doesn't have a great track record. But that's just Jerry Jones being Jerry Jones.

I like how they're reporting that Jim Swartz' job is safe. Like the head coach is the Lions' problem. It'd be like saying that the problem in Cleveland is the head coa.....

oh.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not all Romo's fault. Most of the blame for that loss should fall squarely on the defense. However, three picks when you needed his A game was just par for the course from him. He'll always be good, never great.

Vetali, as far as I know Garrett is still employed. Did I miss one?
    Nah. I just said I'm surprised hes still there after the rumors of Holmgren.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bears fired Lovie Smith. Crennel ouster is official, and they said Pioli is still being evaluated.

Also, draynay, the ESPN folks say Turner and Smith are definitely happening today, just waiting on the official announcement.

Edit: Lovie wasn't even on my radar as a coach that could be fired. That's pretty surprising. I thought this team was crippled more by injuries and lack of depth, and they still finished 10-6 and barely missed the playoffs. Fire the GM for that shit, but I thought Smith actually did a pretty good job.
    Ya I was kinda surprised by reading Lovie got fired (actually was reading something mentioning him as a potential coach for the Chiefs and didn't realize he got axed). With the total implosion by the Bears causing them to miss the playoffs, you'd think a firing would be in order, but the Bears have been right there the last couple years. Going from 7-3 last year to 8-8 and out of the playoffs and repeating it at 7-1 to 10-6 and out again is a hard pill to swallow. It is probably worth considering a change just to try and get past that mental block. Wouldn't be surprised if Lovie has a new job within a week though.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    2 years ago everyone was saying he's the perfect personality for NY. And I don't know how much we can blame Rex for the Tebow thing. I have a feeling that was more the GM considering how Rex didn't play the guy and the GM was the one who got fired. If it was Rex's idea to bring in Tebow then I'll change my opinion (because that was horribly, horribly wrong), but I don't think I could ever know that for sure.

Maybe, but he's infinitely better than every QB the Cards have started since then.

The PRESS was saying Ryan was perfect because he has a big, interesting personality and because the Jets were playing decently. But now we're seeing the darkside of that kind of personality as things are imploding. No team was more of an embarassment in the NFL than the Jets this year.

Leinart is not better than Kolb. Kolb is no All-Pro, but he's decent enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    So is anyone in the world taking the Falcons to win their first game? As the one seed they are going to get the lowest seeded team to win. That will be Minnesota, Washington, or Seattle. Which of those teams can Atlanta beat? Atlanta can't run the ball and they sure as hell can't stop the run. They finished 29th in each of those categories. It isn't inconceivable at all that AD, AM, or Skittles can drop 200 on them and just grind them into the dust. Green Bay is the only team I would think Atlanta had a decent matchup with and they won't have a shot to face them until the NFC Championship game. The other 4 teams in the NFC are all the best running teams in the freaking NFL lol.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya I was kinda surprised by reading Lovie got fired (actually was reading something mentioning him as a potential coach for the Chiefs and didn't realize he got axed). With the total implosion by the Bears causing them to miss the playoffs, you'd think a firing would be in order, but the Bears have been right there the last couple years. Going from 7-3 last year to 8-8 and out of the playoffs and repeating it at 7-1 to 10-6 and out again is a hard pill to swallow. It is probably worth considering a change just to try and get past that mental block. Wouldn't be surprised if Lovie has a new job within a week though.
    Look at the teams the Bears lost to down the stretch:

Texans
    Niners
    Seahawks
    Vikings
    Packers

During their 1-5 stretch all 6 games were against what turned out to be playoff teams. So yes they collapsed, but considering their injuries and the difficulty of their schedule I find it utterly bizarre they would fire Lovie Smith.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 07:59 PM ----------

So is anyone in the world taking the Falcons to win their first game? As the one seed they are going to get the lowest seeded team to win. That will be Minnesota, Washington, or Seattle. Which of those teams can Atlanta beat? Atlanta can't run the ball and they sure as hell can't stop the run. They finished 29th in each of those categories. It isn't inconceivable at all that AD, AM, or Skittles can drop 200 on them and just grind them into the dust. Green Bay is the only team I would think Atlanta had a decent matchup with and they won't have a shot to face them until the NFC Championship game. The other 4 teams in the NFC are all the best running teams in the freaking NFL lol.
    Of all those teams if I was Atlanta I'd actually prefer to face the Vikings. Yes, Peterson may put up 200 on them, but Ponder and the poor receiver corps tends to hold the Vikings offense back most of the time. The one issue is whether or not they can stop the Vikings pass rush. If they can then they should be able to put up more points than Peterson can.

The PRESS was saying Ryan was perfect because he has a big, interesting personality and because the Jets were playing decently. But now we're seeing the darkside of that kind of personality as things are imploding. No team was more of an embarassment in the NFL than the Jets this year.

Leinart is not better than Kolb. Kolb is no All-Pro, but he's decent enough.
    Yes the Jets were an embarrassment, but I don't think that means the coach needs to be fired. They lost most of their best players to injury (Revis, every receiver ever) and had that unnecessary QB controversy bringing the team down. A lot has to go right for a team to win and those things that went wrong were out of the coach's hands. Rex deserves at least another year, especially since his last success was so recent.

As for Leinart vs. Kolb, that's debatable, but let's say you're right. Kolb didn't even join the Cards until 2011 (Whis shipped out Leinart in 2010), and in the last 2 years he has only played 12 games for the Cards. Even if Kolb would have been the clear-cut starter over Leinart, 36 out of the 48 other games these last three seasons the Cardinals were starting a QB that could barely make the roster on any other NFL team. That is purely Whisenhunt's fault. Had he kept Leinart even as a backup, he could have at least had a serviceable QB in case things went wrong (and they did).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking the Bears got rid of Lovie because of his failures against the Packers and overall poor divisional performance, but I don't agree with the firing

as far as the Cardinals, they botched the QB situation bad, Warner was old and they had nobody ready to come in when he left, they were totally unprepared, well, everybody figured Leinart would finally get in there and then they dumped him, really illustrated just how unprepared they were and things went about how you'd expect, so they cleaned house

Apparently, the Cards dumped their entire offensive coaching staff as well. Not entirely surprising. Their defensive coordinator is supposed to be interviewing for a couple of the new vacancies at head coach. Going to be an entirely new staff there. Still no idea who's going to play quarterback. Poor Larry Fitzgerald.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently, the Cards dumped their entire offensive coaching staff as well. Not entirely surprising. Their defensive coordinator is supposed to be interviewing for a couple of the new vacancies at head coach. Going to be an entirely new staff there. Still no idea who's going to play quarterback. Poor Larry Fitzgerald.
    Poor? Maybe the last few years. This is just what he wanted though, no matter what he says publicly.

I find it kinda scary that Gus Bradly and Darrell Bevel are HC prospects. I know Pete has shown interest in collecting more of his former USC staff for Seattle though.

Yes the Jets were an embarrassment, but I don't think that means the coach needs to be fired. They lost most of their best players to injury (Revis, every receiver ever) and had that unnecessary QB controversy bringing the team down. A lot has to go right for a team to win and those things that went wrong were out of the coach's hands. Rex deserves at least another year, especially since his last success was so recent.

As for Leinart vs. Kolb, that's debatable, but let's say you're right. Kolb didn't even join the Cards until 2011 (Whis shipped out Leinart in 2010), and in the last 2 years he has only played 12 games for the Cards. Even if Kolb would have been the clear-cut starter over Leinart, 36 out of the 48 other games these last three seasons the Cardinals were starting a QB that could barely make the roster on any other NFL team. That is purely Whisenhunt's fault. Had he kept Leinart even as a backup, he could have at least had a serviceable QB in case things went wrong (and they did).
    Honestly, Leinart would simply have been another one of the inadequate backups that the Cardinals would have had in the line-up in the place of an injured Kolb. He was with the Cards for 4 years. He had about 600 career pass attempts with the Cards. He is now 29 and he hasn't really progressed despite being in the league for 7 seasons. Coaches haven't seen enough from him in practices and training camps to justify keeping him around and so now he gets bumped from team to team.

Honestly, Leinart would simply have been another one of the inadequate backups that the Cardinals would have had in the line-up in the place of an injured Kolb. He was with the Cards for 4 years. He had about 600 career pass attempts with the Cards. He is now 29 and he hasn't really progressed despite being in the league for 7 seasons. Coaches haven't seen enough from him in practices and training camps to justify keeping him around and so now he gets bumped from team to team.
    I think the reason he gets bumped around is because he gets paid too much money to be a backup and no one wants to take a risk on him as a starter at this point. He played great in his one start for the Texans last year, but then he got injured and TJ Yates won that playoff game, leading to Leinart getting cut because Yates makes a fraction of the money Leinart does and keeping 3 usable QBs on the roster doesn't make sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    According to team sources, the San Diego coaching and GM hirings "will be made with a move to LA in mind." If the San Diego voters don't approve a measure to give Dean Spanos corporate welfare, they will likely be the LA team. I hate this country so much some times.

You know who's gonna play QB? Alex Smiiiiiiith

Yeah, I'm excited about Alex Smith. Welcome to the Cardinals.

I think the reason he gets bumped around is because he gets paid too much money to be a backup and no one wants to take a risk on him as a starter at this point. He played great in his one start for the Texans last year, but then he got injured and TJ Yates won that playoff game, leading to Leinart getting cut because Yates makes a fraction of the money Leinart does and keeping 3 usable QBs on the roster doesn't make sense.
    I think Leinart only made $700K this year as a backup for Oakland. Price isn't the problem.

Leinart's problems have always been the following:

-Weak arm
    -Slow decision making
    -Not seeming to take his job seriously enough
    -Not inspiring confidence from his teammates
    -Not as good as he thinks he is

Compare him to say, a guy like Kurt Warner (who he sat behind for 3 years). When Warner was down and out he didn't whine or complain that he should be given another chance. He worked his butt off, became a much better player, and played wherever he needed to in order to earn another chance. Leinart always had things handed to him, and finally reached a level (the NFL) where he couldn't coast and succeed.

15+ Year Old Account
    When someone says that with a straight face, you know their franchise is in rough, rough shape.

You know who's gonna play QB? Alex Smiiiiiiith

Well, I'm sure the Cards could trade for, say, Mark Sanchez instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to team sources, the San Diego coaching and GM hirings "will be made with a move to LA in mind." If the San Diego voters don't approve a measure to give Dean Spanos corporate welfare, they will likely be the LA team. I hate this country so much some times.
    It was bound to happen if they failed this year.

When someone says that with a straight face, you know their franchise is in rough, rough shape.
    Laser it to Fitzgerald everytime, become elite.

I think Leinart only made $700K this year as a backup for Oakland. Price isn't the problem.
    That's this year. I was talking about with the Texans. He made 5.5 mill with Houston for 2 years and got cut in the middle of it because their 3rd stringer (Yates) proved he could be a passable backup by winning that playoff game when Leinart was injured.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-r.../matt-leinart/

Well, I'm sure the Cards could trade for, say, Mark Sanchez instead.
    No way. That's Rex's BOY. He's never letting that one go. They're not leaving the Jets unless it's together.