For the Bears I am praying we get a combination of an Offensive Tackle and Tight End that does not suck, preferably 1 from the draft and 1 from FA. Id love to sign Jake Long but given the Bears track record on the Oline I'm skeptical it will happen, especially if the guy wants to break the bank for his next contract. So far I'm seeing in Mocks they might draft the Notre Dame Tight End Tyler Eifert or the Stanford one Zach Ertz.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    For the Bears I am praying we get a combination of an Offensive Tackle and Tight End that does not suck, preferably 1 from the draft and 1 from FA. Id love to sign Jake Long but given the Bears track record on the Oline I'm skeptical it will happen, especially if the guy wants to break the bank for his next contract. So far I'm seeing in Mocks they might draft the Notre Dame Tight End Tyler Eifert or the Stanford one Zach Ertz.
    Most of the mocks I have seen have Eifert going in the very late first/early second, which means it most cases the Bears are passing on him. At that spot there shouldn't be much value in the T positions so I'm not sure why Eifert wouldn't make sense in that spot. I would not be very excited about Te'o. He looked over matched against NFL caliber talent in the NC game.

Geno Smith at #1 really seems like a mistake to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Driver retiring doesn't actaully hit GB that hard, not because of the deep WR corps: but because his contract was up. I believe that is why he retired, because he was unlikely to get another contract with Green Bay, they we likely to let him and Jennings both walk this offseason.
    It's widely known around here he was just too old to be productive compared to the rest of our wide outs now. He wasn't even suited up for the last regular season games. The only reason he was for the playoffs was because the Packers have no owner, we have a shitload of public shareholders and a lot of them made a Facebook group to throw their weight around as "owners" to suit him back up and send him off in style.

They just gave him a street in GB, Donald Driver Way. Add it to the list.
    Last edited by Pfeff; 2013-02-10 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I'm bored, some figures that might interest you guys. Cap situations given an expected cap of 121 million in 2013.

+ means over the expected cap, - means under it

1. NY Jets +23 Million
    2. Cowboys +21.1 Million
    3. Saints +20.6 Million
    4. Steelers +13.8 Million
    5. Panthers +13.7 Million
    6. NY Giants +10 Million
    7. Raiders +8.3 Million
    8. Redskins +5.9 Million
    9. Lions +5.0 Million
    10. Cardinals +3.3 Million
    11. Rams +2.3 Million
    12. SF 49'ers +49 Thousand
    13. Falcons -2.1 Million
    14. Eagles -5.7 Million
    15. Packers -5.8 Million
    16. Texans -6.1 Million
    17. Chargers -6.3 Million
    18. Bears -10.3 Million
    19. Vikings -12.3 Million
    20. Ravens -12.9 Million
    21. Chiefs -13.3 Million
    22. Broncos -14.9 Million
    23. Seahakws -15.0 Million
    24. Patriots -15.8 Million
    25. Bills -16.7 Million
    26. Titans -18.3 Million
    27. Jaguars -23.8 Million
    28. Buccaneers -30.1 Million
    29. Colts -43.1 Million
    30. Dolphins -44.0 Million
    31. Browns -45.6 Million
    32. Bengals -50.6 Million

Source:NFL.com Photo thingy

Some truely staggering numbers there, both in the over and under categories. It's not mentioned but I assume this list is with all the possible free agents not counted, meaning some cap numbers appear better then they might be once these people are re-signed.

Even then though, some of these clubs have some cash to blow on the free agent market!

10+ Year Old Account
    Bengals and Colts being that far under the cap is interesting, given their success. If done right, they should both be pretty big contenders.

Here's something interesting. Chris Kluwe is writing a book, filled with personal essays and just his thoughts about random stuff. Its name? "Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies"

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Bengals and Colts being that far under the cap is interesting, given their success. If done right, they should both be pretty big contenders.

Here's something interesting. Chris Kluwe is writing a book, filled with personal essays and just his thoughts about random stuff. Its name? "Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies"
    Kluwe is hilarious. You can hear him some mornings on the Half-Assed Morning Show in MN. They call him 'Chris Warcraft' though. Colts could be scary next year if they get some good offseason moves. Denver and SF are probably my top two teams to watch, though. Eagles could be interesting too. I'm surprised they didn't cut Vick, but they, as a team, are certainly a lot better than their record last season.

15+ Year Old Account
    Toss the Browns on there as well. They aren't "that far" off from being a pretty damn good team. Had they had a legit head coach this season with a functioning brain they probably get at least 2-3 more wins. Tack on a viable QB and they could be pretty decent at least.

If I'm the Colts I go after Boldin. There is no way he is going to retire if the Ravens cut him. If they don't want to wait that long give them like a 7th or something for him. The Colts need another dynamic receiving option and he would be an excellent addition to Wayne and Hilton.

Well if you notice all the teams that are way under the cap are ones that are still giving their QBs rookie wage scales, with the exception of Tampa Bay. Once teams actually have to pay these guys starting QB money is when the cap usually starts to take a big hit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    So back to the old standby, just asking others what they think thier team will (should!) do. What do you hope/want the Lions to do? or anyone special in mind?
    Fire the coach, move about half the players, draft a fucking CB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Fire the coach, move about half the players, draft a fucking CB.
    But, but but ... I thought they were looking to use their 1st round pick on a WR? Gotta replace that Titus Young production. I heard he was better than Megatron. :P

Yahoo Sports Link

NFL is considering going to CFL size fields. Ew.

EDIT: My mistake. They're looking at changing the WIDTH of the field, not the LENGTH. While this is the type of change that I could care less about, I fail to see how it would really fix anything in regards to safety. I'd think the extra room would just give DB's and LB's that much more momentum when running with their heads down / eyes closed.

I know fans would hate it, but if they really want to work on safety, they'd crack down on all of these defensive players that think tackling consists of pulling your arms in, lowering your head, closing your eyes and propelling their 200 - 300 lb. body in a random direction.

Well ... that and teaching guys that it's ok to tackle the other 70 - 80% of the body. You know, that whole midsection that doesn't consist of area's above your shoulder or below your knee.
    Last edited by Elbren; 2013-02-12 at 03:26 AM.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the field widens would that be better for running QB's or worst I can't really say atm. They would have more room to scramble but it will take them a bit longer to get into safety. Passing QB's do have more room to throw down the sidelines thou and more to run a boot /pondering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a rather huge change with no real data supporting it as a measure that improves safety. I mean apparently it works in the CFL. Okay, but does the CFL have the same type of speed of play going on, I think not. That alone means you can't really compare the 2 and compare the data. And I don't doubt there are other differences that could constitute any supposed difference in safety between the 2 leagues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    But, but but ... I thought they were looking to use their 1st round pick on a WR?
    yea the Lions are never gonna improve at the WR position unless they spend draft picks on the position!

the Saints cap number isn't so bad, but the reports I were seeing were more along the $17-18 million range but maybe some bonuses vested since last I checked, and they will lose over $10 mil when they dump Will Smith, they say they can use Vilma, but they will draft somebody that's more of a pass rusher and probably cut him and I doubt Roman Harper is gonna survive either

high paid defensive players don't survive when your defense is the worst in NFL history, maybe some of them will restructure, but probably they will be gone and replaced with cheaper younger 3-4 personnel

10+ Year Old Account
    Green Bay released Woodson today I think they was going to owe him like 9 mil or so next year.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...en-bay-packers

Colts release Freeney and Bills released George Wilson (George played WR at Arkansas) only reason I cared to put it up here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, so Green Bay's mediocre defense is gonna be worse without a Hall of Famer.

And, Indy's defense...will be worse....without a Hall of Famer... huh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, so Green Bay's mediocre defense is gonna be worse without a Hall of Famer.

And, Indy's defense...will be worse....without a Hall of Famer... huh.
    Yeah I can see the headlines now New England picks up two future hall of famer's....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Yeah I can see the headlines now New England picks up two future hall of famer's....
    Woodson I can see, he'd bring some presence to our secondary. Freeney though? Undersized 4-3 DE that didn't make a very good transition to the 3-4 in Indy (apparently)? I doubt it.

I think we'll see some more people getting released or not retained in the coming week, should be interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but Vick restructured his deal to play one year for the Eagles. And they also signed former Oregon QB Dennis Dixon, who's been nothing more than a practice squad QB so far.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-02-16 at 04:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but Vick restructured his deal to play one year for the eagles. And they also signed former Oregon QB Dennis Dixon, who's been nothing more than a practice squad QB so far.
    That whole Chip Kelly in Philly thing will be something to watch next year. I have no clue whatsoever if he can make his system work in the NFL or not. Will be interesting to see if it will just be a fad like the Wildcat offense looks that some teams have shown (though that seems to have largely stopped) or if it will be a revolution in the way offences work and gets broad implementation across the league.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but Vick restructured his deal to play one year for the Eagles. And they also signed former Oregon QB Dennis Dixon, who's been nothing more than a practice squad QB so far.
    I remember him starting a game when Roethlisberger was hurt and being ok

I'm guessing he had a look at his offensive line and is gonna sign anybody that can run away fast, and it helps to have people around that know the system