Page 1 of 26
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    DPS tanking why does it irritate so many.

    Ok I play an Enhancement shaman full 277 and 284 weapons pull decent threat against the avg geared tank.. Now with that I try not to be a arrogant prick that often,when doing the daily random until I obviously don't get healed.
    I try to speed up the instance bu pullingxtra trash that i can control i/e 1 or 2 packs maybe an occasion 3 pack if it has a healer in it.
    Now I don't ask for much I use sham rage defensively and and wolves as well often rotating them save maelstrom 5's for a greater healing wave to top me off Etc.
    Now on occasion I might get hit a little harder then expected and I try to play def. so that way its less stress on the heals and the pulls go twice as fast in some cases.. sure it might only save 5 mins of the groups time but if its not hurting anything then why is it that so many tanks and heals complain about me pulling shit Im not a tank do your job just DPS.

    Now I'm not trygin to call anyone bad or anything or trying to troll I'm just asking for general opinions on why those people who do get mad at DPS tanking a pull here and there but not causing any harm why does this irritate you so much... Like whats the logic behind it?

    G
    Last edited by gesen; 2010-11-02 at 03:01 PM.

  2. #2
    I could really care less about dps tanking. If you pull it off me it's yours to tank.

  3. #3
    It's the tank's job to control the situation in a group. That is all they do. They don't (normally) do tons of damage, they don't heal, they only control.

    You are taking away his job by being a jerk and pulling ahead. How would you like it if, as enhancement, the tank ran with the mobs the whole instance keeping them just out of melee range? It would suck having someone make your job 10x harder wouldn't it?

    Respect. Give it and get it back in return.

    ---------- Post added 2010-11-02 at 02:57 PM ----------

    Honestly if a DPS pulls ahead of me I just auto follow them until they die or we get to a boss. It's not worth the headache anymore of trying to pull 10 mobs from different directions together now with the nerf to tank's AOE abilities.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Sting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Your ignore list
    Posts
    4,788
    I can honestly not quite get the hang of what he's saying. Is he pulling aggro or is he pulling mobs? Or are the healers annoyed that they have to heal him?

  5. #5
    I had this happen a few times to me as a cat. I had a Priest Healer and a shaman DPS tell me to go cat and rip everything apart and they would heal me, Priest said he didn't need help but there were a few times I fell close but the Shaman spot healed me. I was doing 14k DPS in the Heroic so the healer and Shaman had no problem healing me with that.

    You just have to find people who are willing to work so you can destroy everything.

  6. #6
    I dont see the problem, just aslong as it's a melee and he doesnt take serious damage from it. On my death knight I always pull aggro but I can manage it, even up to 3-4 mobs and for that I have actually been kicked out of random heroics. Well excuse for me knowing my rotation and doing decent damage.
    Last edited by Fleabass; 2010-11-02 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typoes

  7. #7
    I edited the the post i hope it has some more clear now. long story short I was wonderin why tanks and heals get so pissed if i pull the next pack ahead thats 1-3 mobs if I control it and no one dies.. why do i still get kicked form the group told I'm stupid slow the F&^&*K down etc..

  8. #8
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It basically comes down to particular people being selfrighteous douche bags who have to control every single aspect of the dungeon. It goes fairly well hand in hand with healers who wouldn't heal warlocks that Life Tap. Pathetic, and ridiculous.

  9. #9
    The problem is that most tank-classes actually rely on being targeted by the mobs to be able to do their job, if they aren't allowed to do their job they obviously aren't happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by gesen View Post
    I edited the the post i hope it has some more clear now. long story short I was wonderin why tanks and heals get so pissed if i pull the next pack ahead thats 1-3 mobs if I control it and no one dies.. why do i still get kicked form the group told I'm stupid slow the F&^&*K down etc..
    Seems like you never played a tank, tanking is about being in control of the situation - if someone decides to "help" by taking on a loose mob they are actually more of a hindrance, you will probably learn that once you don't completely outgear the content.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truefacts View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It basically comes down to particular people being selfrighteous douche bags who have to control every single aspect of the dungeon. It goes fairly well hand in hand with healers who wouldn't heal warlocks that Life Tap. Pathetic, and ridiculous.
    *SIGH* as I said above that's what tanking is about... you are supposed to be in control, that's actually the point.
    Last edited by Maklor; 2010-11-02 at 03:08 PM.

  10. #10
    It is honestly just annoying as a tank to get things back, and its just generally a pain in the ass to keep threat and maintain now since the patch.
    But when i go to my main spec, ret, i am constently pulling threat, even after having the other pallys in the group put hand of sanc on me in a rotation.
    I still seem to pull threat at some point throughout the entire fight. I run omen and do everything i can to reduce my threat but i still cant seem to get it low enough.


    Seems like some tanks have yet to get used to some of the changes.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 2010-11-02 at 07:09 PM.

  11. #11
    get a group with your guild/friends and do it as a 5-DPS team,...tanking as DPS with a random tank can lead to useless discussions. I play all 4 tanks - you wont pull threat on 3 of them, but i really need to get used to my fresh warri - where I really HATE it, when DPSer think the can do whatever they want. I am the tank, i decide when and what to pull.

  12. #12
    I might sometimes be a jerk as Gesen. But he never states that he pulls ahead of the tank.

    I have a filosophy that when a tank pulls im going all out. Im letting him do the pulling all the time unless its some random none elite. If i get aggro over the tank i only got myself to blame and therefor dont shout at the tank for not being good enough. However, its nice when you got a tank that knows hes stuff and therefor is able to build enough threat before i got a chance to go nuts, im just afraid that they are far apart.

    When im tanking myself im exspecting the worst from all the dps in the groups im tanking for. Sometimes (most of the time) a lot of dps'ers dont know how much trouble a good tank can keep a group out of. If you have a good tank you wont notice if 3 dps are solotargeting 3 targets becos he is able to hold aggro on all of them even if dps is being retarted.

    I know myself good enough to notice when i get a 6.5k GS fury warrior in the gruop, then its alright to sometimes loose aggro to him since the mob will die before it really hurts him and it just speeds up the run. However, if a 4-5k gs player is pulling aggro of me, then I know i have done something wrong and i will do my best to figure out what it is so it dont happen again. A lot of ppl just dont bother figuring out what their mistake was, and therefor keep making it over an over.

    WOTLK have made a lot of bad players not "wanting" to get better becos it wasnt needed since a few good players useally carried them!

  13. #13
    It usually get's irritating when we look at our heal chart and said DPS is being healed more than the tank, an if said DPS eventually dies due to carelessness they get mad at us for not healing them. Not every DPS does this but the ones that I see more often than others are the people who bitch about it. Healers generally have one simple rule, you pull it's your responsibility to save yourself, you keep pulling, we will let you die. With that said, it's your job as much as the tanks to manage your aggro, your no good pullin 8K in a Heroic or Raid if your dying three seconds after that, and there is a fine line between a DPS not doing the job and a tank not doing the job.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Astemus View Post
    It's the tank's job to control the situation in a group. That is all they do. They don't (normally) do tons of damage, they don't heal, they only control.

    You are taking away his job by being a jerk and pulling ahead. How would you like it if, as enhancement, the tank ran with the mobs the whole instance keeping them just out of melee range? It would suck having someone make your job 10x harder wouldn't it?

    Respect. Give it and get it back in return.

    ---------- Post added 2010-11-02 at 02:57 PM ----------

    Honestly if a DPS pulls ahead of me I just auto follow them until they die or we get to a boss. It's not worth the headache anymore of trying to pull 10 mobs from different directions together now with the nerf to tank's AOE abilities.
    Well said, I play 3 tank classes,warrior, paly and druid and If I see a DPS pulling more mobs they will die for sure. In most cases I tell the healer not to rez him if he or she dies and is a mutual agreement on both part, Is hard enough to keep AoE agro as a warrior tank to have somebody else pulling more mobs and them yelling at you for not doing a proper job at tanking.
    Last edited by Dalmar; 2010-11-02 at 03:11 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    It is honestly just annoying as a tank to get things back, and its just generally a pain in the ass to keep threat and maintain now since the patch.
    But when i go to my main spec, ret, i am constently pulling threat, even after having the other pallys in the group put hand of sanc on me in a rotation.
    I still seem to pull threat at some point throughout the entire fight. I run omen and do everything i can to reduce my threat but i still cant seem to get it low enough.
    I noticed this problem with Blood Queen especially, once i get bit my threat just skyrockets and i cant do my proper dps without pulling.

    Seems like its just people not getting used to the changes yet.
    When you get bit, you don't generate aggro. I highly doubt your claims to pulling threat if you did not know this. It just sounds like you want to look like you pull amazing DPS.

    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=71530
    Last edited by DaTank25; 2010-11-02 at 03:18 PM.

  16. #16
    It's just impolite. I'm a tank, and it does irritate me when DPS pulls packs ahead of me. If you want to do that, just say so and I'll probably be fine with it.

    All I ask is that you take a few seconds to let the group know, instead of just assuming that it's alright.

  17. #17
    I run heroics with a group consisting of a Light of dawn pally, fury warrior, arms warrior, and my dual wield frost dk, we usually save one spot open just so we can watch one random person crap their pants at the outgoing damage. We don't ever have a "tank" its just a mindless AoE fest (I freaking love howling blast) but its some of the most fun I've ever had in game.

    Should they be busy I usually queue up as a tank in my dps gear and just destroy stuff, most heroics I leave with an average dps of 10k, there's no point in me queue'ing as a dps as only the most awesome of tanks could keep threat off me unless I sat and twiddled my thumbs until they were at like 50%.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by gesen View Post
    Ok I play an Enhancement shaman full 277 and 284 weapons pull decent threat against the avg geared tank.. Now with that I try not to be a arrogant prick that often,when doing the daily random until I obviously don't get healed.
    I try to speed up the instance bu pullingxtra trash that i can control i/e 1 or 2 packs maybe an occasion 3 pack if it has a healer in it.
    Now I don't ask for much I use sham rage defensively and and wolves as well often rotating them save maelstrom 5's for a greater healing wave to top me off Etc.
    Now on occasion I might get hit a little harder then expected and I try to play def. so that way its less stress on the heals and the pulls go twice as fast in some cases.. sure it might only save 5 mins of the groups time but if its not hurting anything then why is it that so many tanks and heals complain about me pulling shit Im not a tank do your job just DPS.

    Now I'm not trygin to call anyone bad or anything or trying to troll I'm just asking for general opinions on why those people who do get mad at DPS tanking a pull here and there but not causing any harm why does this irritate you so much... Like whats the logic behind it?

    G
    I purposely don't taunt off or heal ppl like you if you pull a extra pack you deserve to die.
    If a dps pulls one mob with over dps those i heal but you good sir are a ninja puller and your kind deserves the repairs.
    Let the tank do his job if you wanna tank you have a choice of 4 classes go roll one of those.

  19. #19
    dps tanking is win, i always que as tank with my furywarr. if the healer don't like it i just go afk and play a game of HON, and when debuff is out i que again D

  20. #20
    If you are a dps and decide to tank some on your own, you keep me on my toes. Not only do I have to watch my own health/cooldowns, I now must also watch yours as well. Because if you happen to die, the mobs sure aren't coming for me next. If another dps manages to outthreat you and pulls 3+ mobs off you, do you have the tools and know-how to get them back? Or will you just let it happen, since you're not the tank anyways?

    These are the things I worry about when a dps decides to tank. I like to gather all the mobs neatly around me like easter eggs in a basket. You might call that being a self-obsessed douche but I get nervous when it isn't so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •