I gave up my priest at level 65 to make a pally. Right choice?

My main is a DK so I was pretty set on wanting a caster for my alt. However as i continued to level my priest I found myself underwelmed by shadow priest as far as fun factor goes and I found holy healing to be incredibly boring (disc priest was good though).

I made a. Pally last week when I was bored and all the sudden it's Now level 25 and I am really enjoying it and I think i want to keep playing it but I know nothing about pallies.

So my questions are primarily cata based:
    1) how is ret dps at lvl 85? I read earlier they were severely underpowered but I'm assuming that has been corrected by now
    2) what roll do pallies play for healing at 85? Since my dk is a tank i don't want a second tank so I'll probably heal rather than tank for OS.

Thanks guys!

15+ Year Old Account
    So my questions are primarily cata based:
    1) how is ret dps at lvl 85? I read earlier they were severely underpowered but I'm assuming that has been corrected by now
    2) what roll do pallies play for healing at 85? Since my dk is a tank i don't want a second tank so I'll probably heal rather than tank for OS.
    1) How should we know ? Cataclysm isn't even out yet :S
    2) Holy Paladins are healers at 10 -> 85.. Protection Paladins are tanks 10 -> 85

Hope this helps :S

15+ Year Old Account
    1.) We're fine in PvE, a bit "high" according to Blizzard
    2.) We're still the prefered "tank healers", but can raid heal decently with HR and LoD on clumps.

if it where me, i would keep going with the priest or resume your DK, and then start a paladin when Cata comes out so you get to see all the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
    if it where me, i would keep going with the priest or resume your DK, and then start a paladin when Cata comes out so you get to see all the content.
    I want to make a worgrn for that and unfortunately paladins can't be worgrn so I'll prob make a lock or Druid for cata

Yes.
    There is this thing called being so open-minded your brains fall out.

-Richard Dawkins

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    1) How should we know ? Cataclysm isn't even out yet :S
    you know, theres something called "beta" that has been running for quite a while.

Priests get shiiiny appearance changes.
    Shadow form and orbs.
    Chakra states for holy.
    Archangel wings for disc.

Deleted
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Really long answer:
    Could just be my server (Eonar - EU), but Paladins are 10 a penny. With the abundance of DK's and Paladins, melee dps is rarely hard to come by so you'll be fighting an up hill battle on that front. Holy paladins are bit of a conundrum at the moment. Pretty much any other healing spec can out perform them in terms of sheer through-put, but if you're a good one, you'll still find a home.

In all honestly, you're judging priests on their end-game viability 15 (soon to be 20) levels too soon. A holy paladin can sort of raid heal at the moment, but a holy priest will put them to shame and a disc priest can tank heal better than anything else at the moment and will be very strong at 85 too. On top of that, you've got shadow spec, ranged dps is usually in demand more than melee and it's a more challenging rotation, which believe me, will be more fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're doing splitting-edge progression raiding or arena, there's no wrong class choice. Play what you like.