10+ Year Old Account

How much does the 12% base damage nerf hurt the Lock?

I assume that the nerf will be barely noticeable since most of the damage comes from SP, am I wrong?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

You are right. It isn't really a big deal if they tune the static base damage slightly down, except maybe for a low level character. What matters most at max lvl is how well the spells scale.

Deleted
    I assume the base damage change is also in line with the non-coefficient level scaling tweaks they're employing for a lot of abilities. The example they gave was Ambush, where its large weapon damage percent, plus the buffs from Subtlety speccing, lead to it being a oneshot on a stick. As such, they plan on having it start at doing roughly weapon damage and increasing its "base" weapon damage percentage as you level. Nerfs/buffs we see to base damage will most likely be a part of this process.

My initial reaction was "12% nerf across the board wtf!?", then I noticed the "base damage" part, then I found blue posts detailing the scaling of abilities while leveling (and the ridiculously OP nature of some abilities while leveling in 4.0.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    My initial reaction was "12% nerf across the board wtf!?", then I noticed the "base damage" part, then I found blue posts detailing the scaling of abilities while leveling (and the ridiculously OP nature of some abilities while leveling in 4.0.1)
    Heh this was my reaction as well. I was reading through all the changes, (including buffs to some classes, like Mages wtf?) then I get to Warlock and all I saw was "NERFNERFNERF," cue nerdrage, realize it's base damage, deep breath, nerdrage subsides.

Destro was doing good dps so i understand that, but affli? Isnt affli the worst spec in the game atm? Not only do they do low dps, but they are really nerfed in PvP, they have long ramp up etc... Whats up with the affli hate?

This is a beta build. Most if not all classes received nerf(s) to base damage. I would assume at 85 base damage was making spells hit to hard and this is how they choose to address it in this beta build. Does not mean it will go live although it may but not anytime soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    This is a beta build. Most if not all classes received nerf(s) to base damage. I would assume at 85 base damage was making spells hit to hard and this is how they choose to address it in this beta build. Does not mean it will go live although it may but not anytime soon.
    Ehhh....

Base damage have been reduced for levels 1-79 ONLY.

At 80 it has same base damage as on live right now and its base damage on 80-85 is the same as now.

Confirmed by blue.

They changed the way spells scale, its no longer a coefficent based on cast time, but a pure percentage instead, so while it says base damage and you think thats only the damage without spellpower being lowered then no, its a straight 12% nerf on the full spell basically

they did the same on mages sometime before, but buffing every spells base damage by 12%, and that was an actual 12% dmg increase on those spells

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    Destro was doing good dps so i understand that, but affli? Isnt affli the worst spec in the game atm? Not only do they do low dps, but they are really nerfed in PvP, they have long ramp up etc... Whats up with the affli hate?
    Affliction damage is more than fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    We received nerfs to 85 base damage. Basically, get naked and dps a dummy. For me this came out to less than a 400dps nerf, but since this was applied universally across all levels, I assume this was to bring down locks in terms of fight length.

400dps is nothing at 85. 2-3% at best in 359 epics.

R.I.P. YARG

2 year necro

go play in traffic please

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-04-30 at 02:37 AM.

Necro thread:

Closed.