Thread: Epicosity

Epicosity

I know everyone is really excited to hear Blizz say that they are going to make epics "Epic" again. They are doing this by not having heroics drop epics any more and they will only be obtainable threw raiding and badge gear. Does anyone think heroic epics are really too "Epic"? While running Molten Core with a few friends the other day it occurred to me most of those bosses only drop 2-3 pieces of loot for 40 people... With much of that gear being not only class specific but if you were trying to gear right, spec specific also. I think this is the real reason epics were so "Epic" in Vanilla. The low drop rate of anything you wanted and the fact you were there with 39 other raiders.

To get epics feeling that special again Blizz would have to make alot more class & spec gear and then have 25man bosses drop 1-2 pieces and 10mans to have a 50% to drop 1 piece or possibly nothing at all.

Something tells me they won't do this.

So what do you guys think? Do you think epics will be special in Cata because you can't get them in heroics? Or do you think a year from now everyone will be complaining about how easy it is to get them?

I personally don't agree with your "50% or nothing a tall" idea for 10m. Reason being that people would only QQ that "Blizzard is forcing us to raid 25m to even have a somewhat guaranteed chance at our piece of lewt."

I think their "proportionate" drop rate is good as it is now. 25m drops 5 pieces of loot, and 10m drops 2 pieces. (1 for every group of 5 people)

But on the main topic, I support this idea. Epics shouldn't be just a willy-nilly drop from a Heroic boss that you'll be able to faceroll in a couple months. I'd understand a super-rare drop chance (like Barons' sword from Strat), but not on every single kill. I enjoy the feeling of killing that big raid boss and going, "What dropped this week?"

As far as Justice/Valor points .. I'm sure there will be some people who whine about it .. but I don't think Blizzard will be able to make the "perfect" game to where everyone is happy, everyone gets what they want, etc. etc.
    You are proof that reincarnation does indeed exist.
    Nobody could become this stupid in just one lifetime.

Signature courtesy of the awesome Zil. Thanks a ton!

The idea of nerfing drop rates to the point that it's nearly impossible to gear isn't a good idea, primarily because it isn't fun for anybody involved. There was nothing cool or fun about having to fight over 2 pieces of loot between 40 people (or more realistically, between the 5-15 other people in the raid who might be looking to use it, as opposed to now when you generally have much narrower competition on items, other than some DPS trinkets).

A better idea (in my opinion) would be to make certain drops extremely rare. They wouldn't have to be more powerful, of course, that would be silly. But they SHOULD be recognizable. But say, when you kill a boss on heroic mode, he has a small chance to drop a unique-model weapon, or even a unique trinket that has some crazy effect, ala Deathbringer's Will.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-11-05 at 07:08 AM.

You spend all week on one boss. What loot did he drop? You're on 10 man and he dropped nothing. GG, thank you come again.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus View Post
    You spend all week on one boss. What loot did he drop? You're on 10 man and he dropped nothing. GG, thank you come again.
    But after 6 months of farming, when he finaly drops the piece you need, it would be pretty epic right?

Deleted
    And next week you might kill another boss

Quote Originally Posted by Wrothforged View Post
    But after 6 months of farming, when he finaly drops the piece you need, it would be pretty epic right?
    No because someone had higher DKP than me.

10+ Year Old Account
    no because i just wasted 6 months on something i might not even win

No, that would just be fustrating.
    I play for fun.
    I don't care a tiny bit about the color or feeling for the gear, seriously..

Would you like to farm any other raid instance for just as long as ICC to get everything you need?

10+ Year Old Account
    vanilla raid loot was amazingly frustrating. it was not uncommon, in fact, it was extremely common for one raid group to say, "sheesh, all we get is tank loot every week, our 4 priests haven't seen a single piece of tier gear in 13 weeks," and then a rival or sister guild would be like, "all we get is priest gear, our tanks get nothing."

there was nothing epic about poor loot distribution. add to this pally/shaman loot dropping when your faction didn't have access to the class.

i can only imagine the uproar of a raid boss dropping zero loot...

Deleted
    We surely need another "Back in Vanilla..." thread!