Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thoughts of a raid boss

I was thinking of cataclysm raids and seeing the picture of the orge dude (name?) that isnt chogal in bastion of twilight raid; and i thought of a cool boss idea ( at least i like it ).

For the fight, the boss would insti-kill anyone who he hit no matter fricken what. Adds would be constantly pooring into the room at the same rate from start to end. He would be immune to all damange (or at least massive redux) unless the DPS are mounted, read on. Every ~30-45 seconds he would use his massive weapon and strike at everything infront of him giving you about 2 seconds to get free of the kill zone. After striking the ground his weapon becomes stuck for 10 seconds giving ample time for some DPS (im thinking one in 10 man, 3 in 25) to "mount" the boss and do full out DPS at 100% damage increase to his one and only weak spot. After a DPS has mounted they would get a debuff that wouldnt allow them to remount the boss until it wore off.

Now for the rest of the fight, the tank(s) would be managing adds, healers healing, and DPS would also have to follow a strict kill order and manage CC's during the entire fight. every time the the DPS drops off the boss two things happen; the boss ignores 20% of any speed reductions ( after he reaches 100% reduction he begins to move 20% faster to form an enrage timer) and the adds would enrage, making them immune to CC and dealing massive damage.

Ok, some of you may picked on what im saying here in terms of managing the boss and not getting WTF pwned by him; you kite. Better speaking. One or two of the DPS kites him.

I think something like this could be an interesting fight for cata; it includes CC, kill orders, kiting and raid mechanics that aren't in game (as far as i know).

/discuss

PS: +10 internets if you can figure out the reference of "little" people climbing onto an ugly giant things back.
    Last edited by Rakeer; 2010-09-05 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So being a goblin, I would become Yoda in this fight?
    Experience has shown, and a true philosophy will always show, that a vast, perhaps the larger portion of the truth arises from the seemingly irrelevant. -Edgar Allan Poe

10+ Year Old Account
    different movie series.

Deleted
    Someone just played Shadows of the Colossus.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Brilliant..so at a 2 second swing timer, the fight is over in 20 seconds on 10 man and in 50 on 25 man. Fight starts. 2 seconds: Wham..tank dead...4 seconds: wham, OT dead, 6 seconds: wham..next on aggro? Oh..healer dead. (Doesn't take a special skill on the boss side..it always goes this way once the tanks are down)

Don't give up your job at McDonalds and try to become a game Designer
    You failed at reading....just so you know, he also said the boss would be slower and get faster over time... aka an enrage so you dont kite him forever.

EDIT: Also... the 2 second swing timer is to everything in front of him... not a specific target, this allows yo to move out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    After striking the ground his weapon becomes stuck for 10 seconds giving ample time for some DPS
    Have you had a look at spell cast timers recently? Literally all the DPS "Mounting" the boss would have to be melee as a caster would get off 2-3 spells max in this time considering that you would have to get too the boss and mount him(You've just had to move away from his swing "kill box"), which is barely any dps even with a 100% damage increase.

Seems like you need to think this through some more.
    Last edited by Aelsuil; 2010-09-05 at 01:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelsuil View Post
    Have you had a look at spell cast timers recently? Literally all the DPS "Mounting" the boss would have to be melee as a caster would get off 2-3 spells max in this time considering that you would have to get too the boss and mount him(You've just had to move away from his swing "kill box"), which is barely any dps even with a 100% damage increase.

re-read please and thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the boss move in a certain speed in the beginning? Like if its 100%, it would be freaking hard to kite him in the beginning cause his speed will increase as time passes. Also how much hp does the boss and mobs have? do the mobs have any certain abilities. Is it set in 25 man WOTLK or Cata?

I like the idea, but the group would probably need a few classes that have a few pvp talents, this will probably give mages the reason to go frost for speed reduction. Or dk uses that frost thing ability, or moonkin tangles him or some shit. Overall: I like it.

EDIT: So do you kill the adds before dps that are mounted on the boss get off so they don't enrage the adds. Smart mechanic bio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Does the boss move in a certain speed in the beginning? Like if its 100%, it would be freaking hard to kite him in the beginning cause his speed will increase as time passes. Also how much hp does the boss and mobs have? do the mobs have any certain abilities. Is it set in 25 man WOTLK or Cata?

I like the idea, but the group would probably need a few classes that have a few pvp talents, this will probably give mages the reason to go frost for speed reduction. Or dk uses that frost thing ability, or moonkin tangles him or some shit. Overall: I like it.

EDIT: So do you kill the adds before dps that are mounted on the boss get off so they don't enrage the adds. Smart mechanic bio.
    i cant say anything about the health, but it would be a cata raid. The DPS that arent kiting or on the boss would be focusing on the adds and he would be fully effected by all snares. and ty for liking it; im still surpirsed no one figured out the inspiration for it.

Deleted
    From what i read i really like the idea. Though the mechanics them selves are not innovative, the combination of them are indeed.

Just to break it all down so i am sure i understood it correctly (10 man model):
    You have this huge guy running around (steadily growing in speed) which you have to kite. He is immune to all forms damage except for when he now and then smashes his mighty Axe (or whatever) into the ground where it gets stuck for ~10 seconds giving you a small window of damage opportunity. During this time he takes NORMAL damage (100%) and one person is allowed to mount him. So one raid-member of choice has to run to him (unless you are melee) and click him. Now if you are on him, you do 200% of normal damage (100% increase) and you are allowed to stay there untill the next time he swings his weapon? Or do you stay there so next time he swings 2 people will be on him? (To fix it for casters you could simply make the mechanic of you being mounted on a siege-machine so you are still allowed to cast stuff.)
    When he is about to swing his weapon, a very obvious animation + sound will appear and you have a 2-3 second window to make it out of the target area. (i could imagine it being cool here if it would target a random raid member and do it in his/her direction, thus making people need to move and react accordingly.)
    And, if you do not make it out, well then you just suck. And you die.
    During all this, adds will spawn making the fight more hectic.

All this can ofcourse be tuned so that adds may play a bigger or lesser role in the fight.

I really like the idea, but i have some tweaks i think would make it cooler.
    Instead of the swing instant-gimping you, it could take you to say, 20% health. That would be pretty dangerous with adds around (with various abilities that can synergy well with it). Lowering the damage would make it possible for him to do it more often (every 20 sec.) and probably lowering the cast time to like 1 second. So 20 seconds into the fight he'd swing his weapon, everyone moves to try and avoid the damage.
    You then get 10 sec. of raid dps, one guy mounts him for the 200% damage.
    He will then pull his weapon out of the ground and continue to wander about for 20 seconds with the guy on his back. (i imagine getting in contact with him during kiting will be lethal)
    Next time he smashes his weapon into the ground, the force of this would then hurl the guy already on his back up in the air, he'd take fall damage and get a debuff saying "Unable to mount (insert cool boss name) for the next 1 minute" so you'd have to rotate your dps.
    I think actually you could give him a good-ass junk of health and make the damage increase 500% just for the fun factor of the fight.

But yeah my ideas are loose, but it could indeed become a very cool fight!
    Last edited by mmoc02442228ec; 2010-09-12 at 10:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cho'Gall is a warlock, warlocks are not suppose to melee and less even have a massive weapon strike

Quote Originally Posted by Vainde View Post
    So being a goblin, I would become Yoda in this fight?
    +10 internets. LOL.
    Interesting idea, but sounds nonblizzardly to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Deleted
    thats a nice idea

Id love to see that boss figth, just a shame that hunters wouldent be able to mount the boss.
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brilliant..so at a 2 second swing timer, the fight is over in 20 seconds on 10 man and in 50 on 25 man. Fight starts. 2 seconds: Wham..tank dead...4 seconds: wham, OT dead, 6 seconds: wham..next on aggro? Oh..healer dead. (Doesn't take a special skill on the boss side..it always goes this way once the tanks are down)

Dont forget Pala bubbles :P
    Insert Signiture here.

Hmmm I think its
    Resident Evil 4, the El Gigante Fights Cause its very similar the the fights vs 2in the lava pit mission
    I cant has cheezburgar :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    Merry and Pippin from LotR ftw

Overall it is a good idea and makes for a good fight. However this wouldn't really work in WoW. World of Warcraft combat systems dont allow for "be facing the enemy and swing weapon to hit" (like devil may cry) you need to simply have the target targetted and be within the set range needed for the attack to be completed. The miss/dodge/etc portion of the attack is calculated by other variables after the strike has been executed, rather than before. Terra Online uses a combat system like this, and for that game this fight would work a treat. You basically avoid the bosses massive attacks (boss being slow and cumbersome) while you take it down using the tactics explained.

The only way this would work in WoW is if the boss moves at like 20% movement speed, and only uses frontal cone attacks as it's primary attacks. If you can stay out of his melee range, you win. if you can't you wipe (by can't this is either because the boss is too fast to keep ahead of, or the player is walking rather than running). There's no grey area for it and would make the encounter either insanely easy or insanly difficult.
    Last edited by Trigg; 2010-11-02 at 02:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelsuil View Post

After reading this it seems kind of obvious that melees mount him and casters kill mobs.

---------- Post added 2010-11-07 at 02:25 PM ----------

Yea... seems like you must also be enjoying your job at McDonalds... If you could read, you would have figured out that there's 2 seconds to dodge the boss's strike. Therefore, unless you have a retarded tank, it would be quite easy to get out, especially since you'd probably get a warning that he's about to start instik-killing.

L2read

Sort of interesting; when you refer to mounting him to do damage... is it like the idea of Flame Leviathan to take out his turrets?

Honestly, I think this would be a great encounter for one of the Old God's primarchs (like General Vezax). So one of those horribly mutated ogres (at least I think thats what they are?)

Maybe to add in another bit of flavor instead of constantly just having adds coming in, he can resurrect a fallen player and have them under his control. So now you've got a heavy amount of randomness in terms of what sorts of abilities the adds can pull off; it would also play well with the proposed battle res changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Merry and Pippin from LotR ftw
    YES, thats exactly what made me think of this kind of encounter!