Video Game Reviews

Well, being an aspiring video game reviewer, the thought came to my mind, "What reviews do people tend to enjoy reading?".

As there are plenty of review sites out there, which would be your favorites? Any particular styles that pique your interest more than others?

For me, I tend to check out the reviews on gamefaqs.com for many games I'm thinking about buying, or I jump around between some of the people on that Blistered Thumbs section on TGWTG as well. Opinions of friends who have played the games definitely hold a high note with me as well. Of course, I also write my own here.

So, what review sites do you all enjoy checking out in terms of games?
    Last edited by K7Sniper; 2010-11-06 at 04:00 AM.
    The past is gone, now is all there is.

Enjoy reading reviews on video games and other fun stuff? Check out my site Updated when I have time!
    http://snipersedge.blogspot.com

Zero Punctuation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I would kill a old god.

ZP I watch more for entertainment purposes over actual game reviewing, actually.

He does harp on many points, but it's mostly going for laughs now.

Enjoy reading reviews on video games and other fun stuff? Check out my site Updated when I have time!

10+ Year Old Account
    penny-arcade.com, while not a review site, tends to have opinions about games on their front page that seems much more analytical than any other site out there that I've seen. I don't always agree with them, but the way they go about explaining it is better than most. The comics are also good.

Most other guys are either trying to rip off AVGN or someone else's style. Not that there is anything wrong with hunorous style, but we really don't need more Irate Gamers in the world.

Gamespot.com is probably the only review site that I agree with mostly, not that it really does any good since I have to have allready bought the game to know how our opinions compare. They gave Twilight Princess an 8 or so, and are my heroes for that.

In all honesty, biased reviewers are the ones I trust. For instance, if a reviewer that is diehard in love with games I hate, then I'll take their opinions in reverse: a game they hate I'll like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

I look at multiple websites for Reviews. Gamespot because it will tell you the Pros and Cons up front and collects the averages of other Critic Websites reviews along with what the community thinks of a game. I also look at IGN because their videos go into detail most of the time (they can be pretty picky however).

Overall, I just want to know if what I am throwing 60$'s is actually worth it.

Informative and Fun but only if the reviewer doesnt have to fake it.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

I personally check 2-3 sites to get my reviews, some sites have biased reviewers against certain companies and others are too hard on their reviews while others are too soft.

I usually check Gameinformer because they give a quick sum of why they rated things (although their reviews on Wii games have really made me started disliking them), IGN because they they don't seem biased and they give nice long reviews, and a few others if I really want another opinion.

If anyone is interested, I just put up a review on the new Goldeneye 007 on my site

Hope you all enjoy!

CoD: Black Ops review is up Enjoy!

Also, it seems there is a new site around for video games as well. http://blisteredthumbs.net

It's a spinoff from that Channel Awesome site, with Nostalgia Critic and everything, so the reviews they have tend to be pretty decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I see something I like the look of, I will look it up on Gamefaqs, first the board, then the reviews.

Yes, the reviews are awfully written and usually just opinions rather than a review but if I like the look of the game, and it's getting mostly 7-10's, on gamefaqs then usually it works for me.

To be specific, I like to read reviews from gamefaqs, they usually have a large selection of opinions, so you can really get a vibe of the game.

For reviews in general, I actually like reading bad reviews. I enjoy seeing what the reviewer found fault in, and comparing his/her opinion to mine.

Finished my How-To Guide for creating a sniper in Fallout New Vegas