Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Best Alliance starting area post Cataclysm

What is the best Alliance starting area post Cataclysm, in terms of fun, humor, aesthetics, and story?
    The reason I want to know is because my girlfriend wants to try the game out to see what has so many people hooked, and to see if she will enjoy it.
    She has wanted to try the game for months and I figured the best time to introduce her would be after 4.0, due to all the changes incoming. Also I think 1-60 will be much more enjoyable in 4.0 than before it.

I have never played an alliance, but am transferring to play with friends for Dec 7th, and haven't played beta, I have leveled a gnome and human to 20 before but that was years ago, so i really have no clue what is the best start zone. Also bare in mind that this wouldn't be her main character, just an attempt to get her into the game so race doesn't particularly matter, I'm just looking for the most fun starting area.

On topic. Is there anyone with realistic and useful tips and advice for trying to get your girlfriend into the game. I would greatly appreciate it. Thankyou

Deleted
    Oh. I completely forgot to ask which class I think would be best to show off WoW to a new player. I will let her choose herself ofc, but I can try and sway her decision

hmmm... I def think that in cata, the worgen will be epic, but that may be because i love forsaken. They just level so easily

Deleted
    Yes. Shes a huge twilight fan. Right now I'm thinking Worgen would be best to. Are the Worgen and Goblin areas anything close to the DK start area in terms or quality and fun? Because the DK start area is vastly superior to any of the original start areas (inc BE and DR).

10+ Year Old Account
    norway, no more spesific for guyes but girls just send me a message ;D
    its a hard choice, the goblins will have more of a comic relif to them while i find that worgen will have more of a serious note in it as their people is about to be wiped out (yes i realise about the gobos but we all know they would have survived even if they didnt find the horde) oh and i would say that the class i got best impresion on at first was the dk as it was all awsome, but i would say druid if its permanent

Deleted
    After reading your replies and researching a little. I think maybe a Druid Worgen would be best. She would appreciate the lore aspect and quality of the new zone. And a druid is the most versatile class in the game, as it can become melee, tank, caster or healer. She also loves cats

Can anyone tell me if the old starting areas have been revamped much, and what the new gnome area is like. Thanx for your replies

It really depends on what your girlfriend likes. If she's really into story more than humor, and/or into animals/wolves/werewolves, Worgen is gonna be your best bet to get her hooked. However, if she don't get into a story easily, or gets bored/loses interest in things quickly, beware the worgen starting area. It is FANTASTIC, but very, very story driven and can feel slower than some of the other starting areas.

I might suggest Gnome as an alternative, since they actually start in gnomer now, though their 'story' might be a tad confusing. The do have some fun mechanics in there.

All the starting zones are gonna be better and more accessible, so I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't choose something we're suggesting.

check youtube there's some good beta videos of the starting areas. I like some of totalhalibut's videos on youtube because the previews are pretty thorough. the goblin starting area goes up to level 20 so far, with a series of something like 9 videos. I prefer the goblin to the worgen starting area from what I've seen.... worgen quests seem much easier and goblin quests seem to have more completeness and depth. though there's a worgen secret that we haven't been allowed to see in the previews because blizzard wanted it to be special in cataclysm...

the class depends on your playstyle really, and hard to know how they will play before cataclysm is shipped and specs are final. I'm thinking for a beginner, aesthetics are important, so either a mage or warlock... both are easy to learn and have pretty effects. though aesthetics depends on your computer hardware and video card. make sure you use the recruit a friend so you get the bonus XP and the rocket, which I think is 2 person flying mount.

best fun i've ever had in a starting zone was the goblin one, i laughed my ass off most of the way through it.

As for alliance i cant really say that i liked the worgen area that much compared to the goblins the worgens sure got the short end of the stick IMO. I haven't tried the new gnome starting area but if i had to make a new alliance character id probably try a gnome and face it chicks dig gnomes...lol

The worgen starting area is the most story-driven. It's quite similar to the DK starting area, with lots of phasing to advance the plot.

As for classes, it depends on the player. Do they prefer range or melee, pet classes, healers?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ungar View Post
    check youtube there's some good beta videos of the starting areas. I like some of totalhalibut's videos on youtube because the previews are pretty thorough. the goblin starting area goes up to level 20 so far, with a series of something like 9 videos. I prefer the goblin to the worgen starting area from what I've seen.... worgen quests seem much easier and goblin quests seem to have more completeness and depth. though there's a worgen secret that we haven't been allowed to see in the previews because blizzard wanted it to be special in cataclysm...

the class depends on your playstyle really, and hard to know how they will play before cataclysm is shipped and specs are final. I'm thinking for a beginner, aesthetics are important, so either a mage or warlock... both are easy to learn and have pretty effects. though aesthetics depends on your computer hardware and video card. make sure you use the recruit a friend so you get the bonus XP and the rocket, which I think is 2 person flying mount.
    One question, what is that "Worgen secret" you speak of?

On topic: Worgen, hands down. If you want her to try one of the other races, then Human or Gnome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between Nagrand and your dreams
    All alliance starting zones save maybe worgen are boring, and even then people have said the goblin starting zone trumps the worgen one by a mile. Also Troll starting zone is far better then others, so... horde win really.
    "The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn."

10+ Year Old Account
    Traversing through The Luminiferous Aether.
    alliance and horde are merely two sides of the same coin.
    Last edited by GeorgeParty; 2010-11-07 at 05:49 PM. Reason: SPELLING mistakes

Deleted
    worgen OFC!!!!

If you mean vanilla race starting zone's it has to be gnome... allys have been unlucky, horde get undead, troll and gobbo and you only get worgy and gnome... human's ok but not rly great

Quote Originally Posted by Shamra View Post
    Yes. Shes a huge twilight fan. Right now I'm thinking Worgen would be best to. Are the Worgen and Goblin areas anything close to the DK start area in terms or quality and fun? Because the DK start area is vastly superior to any of the original start areas (inc BE and DR).
    The DK starting zone cannot compare to the epicness of the worgen and goblin starting zones.

@OP, go with a worgen hunter. The worgen zone is the best on the alliance side and hunters are easy learn and level.

Haven't seen worgen, but my favorite original starting zone was Night elves by far.

Deleted
    If she likes Star Wars she will LOVE the reference that is in the level 3 Gnome Warrior quest. - A Very Light Sabre

Then again, I've always been a huge fan of the Forsaken starting zone and the addition of a full-running story, and the ability to kill some Werewolves along the way is very, very appealing.
    Last edited by mmoccefed1f20e; 2010-11-07 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Monkey goes OOK OOK

edit:
    Is there anyone with realistic and useful tips and advice for trying to get your girlfriend into the game. I would greatly appreciate it. Thankyou
    never criticize her. and let her play and even fail on her own...don't try to play through her because you're afraid she'll fail and therefore won't like it. failing on your own is better than someone else doing it for you and making you succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    One question, what is that "Worgen secret" you speak of?
    its a secret, you have to play the zone. still not clear on how much focus will be placed on it though.

I dont have a favorite but the DK is BY FAR the worst