Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So now that things are shaping up...

Who are your top 3 duelists? Don't just say Frost mage and leave, lets have some discussion here...

In before who cares this game isn't balanced around 1v1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mele classes give me a hard time as a hunter, so do warlocks. I don't pvp much so i'm probably not the best kiter but yah, i'd say pally or warlock.
    --No Beta Club--
    Books let you imagine the impossible.
    Movies let you see the impossible.
    Video Games let you do the impossible

as of wotlk time i'd say pallys and I guess most ppl agree with me (a paladin comes to you with bubble, you are a hunter, no way of defending yourself, when you can finally attack him, he is at melee range QQ)

if we were talking of the past times, I'd say rogues, their sudden popping up and killing you used to be a pain on the ass on the pre- herp derp, me AOE it all! era

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say Warlock nr 1, if they use portal well.
    Frost Mage. Paladin's not so much, now they can't cleanse magic in Retri or Protection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    as of wotlk time i'd say pallys and I guess most ppl agree with me (a paladin comes to you with bubble, you are a hunter, no way of defending yourself, when you can finally attack him, he is at melee range QQ)

if we were talking of the past times, I'd say rogues, their sudden popping up and killing you used to be a pain on the ass on the pre- herp derp, me AOE it all! era
    ....what?

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, frost mages are always good, but any class can be great at dueling if you know how to play the class.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Still Frost Mage
    2. Still Feral Druid
    3. Used to be Affliction Lock but now it's probably Fire Mage

Quote Originally Posted by michaelt196 View Post
    Who are your top 3 duelists? Don't just say Frost mage and leave, lets have some discussion here...

In before who cares this game isn't balanced around 1v1.
    This is a pretty silly question.

The majority of WoW is a paper - rocks - scissors game. Frost mages will destroy warriors, for instance, while warriors eat warlocks for lunch.

Not to mention that once racials, skill, and gear come into play things get even more confusing.

1v1 really isn't balanced to where there's a 'best' class for it. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
    Last edited by Janettie; 2010-11-11 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Mentioned racials, too, and fixed a grammar error

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janettie View Post

1v1 really isn't balanced to where there's a 'best' class for it. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
    Err..the fact that 1v1 is so unbalanced is exactly the reason why there IS a "best" class for it .

If it really was as simple as "everyone has their strenghts and weaknesses" that would mean it's actually pretty balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now:
    1. Frostmage
    2. Demo Lock
    3. Arms Warrior

lol I destroy wrathful frost mages with my hunter. In turn, I have trouble with warriors and pallies. I've beaten those classes in duels before, but more often, they will win.

He's right, its rock, paper, scissors.

mages rogs and paladins.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my server we have these 3 people sitting outside Org nearly 24/7 one of them is Glad others are rival/duelist, anyway they seem to beat everyone and the classes are Priest, druid, warr,

If I'm on my lock I seem to roll everyone super quick it's just crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    lol I destroy wrathful frost mages with my hunter. In turn, I have trouble with warriors and pallies. I've beaten those classes in duels before, but more often, they will win.

He's right, its rock, paper, scissors.

Rock paper scissors implies perfect balance between classes... I think we all agree this is no the case when talking 1v1. Frost mages, for example, will beat more classes without getting hard countered that hunter per say. With that being said it's not as balanced as one would like, hence the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rock, paper, scissors isn't the best analogy. Its often used by players that consistently get beat by a certain class as an excuse for their lack of skill, though not always.

It would be more accurate to say that there are certain percentage chances based on equal skill and equal gear. For example, an elemental shaman is not automatically paper against a warlock "scissors". They might win 30% of the time vs. the warlock's 70%.

Put another way, a Ret Paladin, for example, must play very well against a frost mage in order to win. Whereas the mage might be able to make a few mistakes but still pull out the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnus View Post
    Rock, paper, scissors isn't the best analogy. Its often used by players that consistently get beat by a certain class as an excuse for their lack of skill, though not always.

It would be more accurate to say that there are certain percentage chances based on equal skill and equal gear. For example, an elemental shaman is not automatically paper against a warlock "scissors". They might win 30% of the time vs. the warlock's 70%.

Put another way, a Ret Paladin, for example, must play very well against a frost mage in order to win. Whereas the mage might be able to make a few mistakes but still pull out the win.
    Oh, how mature. Clearly, since I use that analogy, I am beaten constantly by the paper to my rock.

No, what it implies is that certain classes have advantages against others. Some classes have more weaknesses than others. When I say "Rock Paper Scissors" I don't mean that each class fits into one of those categories, I simply mean that certain classes have weaknesses and strengths.

Just because I am weak against frost mages does NOT mean I always lose to them. I kill them often enough. Just because I am strong against warlocks does not mean that I always win. I lose occasionally. This balance isn't absolute, it's just a guideline. There is no 'god' class that owns everyone.

If you want to call a class the 'best', then it would be the one with the least weaknesses. I have no clue which class that is. Probably rogue at the moment, but what do I know? I know that I kill rogues just fine, so they still have weaknesses.

Edit: It seems we seem to think the same way, so what's the deal anyways? Why do people on here always have to add a witty insult before they make a mature post?
    Last edited by Janettie; 2010-11-12 at 01:58 AM. Reason: See above

Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian View Post
    Err..the fact that 1v1 is so unbalanced is exactly the reason why there IS a "best" class for it .

If it really was as simple as "everyone has their strenghts and weaknesses" that would mean it's actually pretty balanced.
    That "best class" is what turns into FoTM. Which in turn gets repeatedly nerfed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janettie View Post
    Oh, how mature. Clearly, since I use that analogy, I am beaten constantly by the paper to my rock.

No, what it implies is that certain classes have advantages against others. Some classes have more weaknesses than others. When I say "Rock Paper Scissors" I don't mean that each class fits into one of those categories, I simply mean that certain classes have weaknesses and strengths.

Just because I am weak against frost mages does NOT mean I always lose to them. I kill them often enough. Just because I am strong against warlocks does not mean that I always win. I lose occasionally. This balance isn't absolute, it's just a guideline. There is no 'god' class that owns everyone.

If you want to call a class the 'best', then it would be the one with the least weaknesses. I have no clue which class that is. Probably rogue at the moment, but what do I know? I know that I kill rogues just fine, so they still have weaknesses.

Edit: It seems we seem to think the same way, so what's the deal anyways? Why do people on here always have to add a witty insult before they make a mature post?
    "Oh how mature"? An interesting, if not confusing response. I was simply remarking on the use of rock,paper,scissors as an analogy where it doesn't fit. I didn't mean to suggest that you personally use it to avoid putting blame on yourself (I did say "but not always"!)

Of course the rest of your post confirms what I was already saying so I suppose we agree.

spriest is imo currently the nastiest class out there. short cooldown CC although close range. shortish cooldown stun/disarm and a shorter CD silence. very short duration defensive CD (relative to other defensive CDs). bubbles, can heal. huge burst and consitent pressure via dots.

all that and mass dispel along with single target dispel there is nothing a spriest can't really handle.

oh almost forgot, fear ward. yay!

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost Mage
    Feral Druid (WAAAAAAAY too much DoT damage)
    Holy Paladins are immune to death, especially in 1v1.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Right Now:
    1) Frost Mage
    2) Shadow Priest
    3) Demo Lock