Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    No one is imposing anything on you.

The fact that you're getting so offended by the mere idea of there being a presence in the game you disapprove of is pretty sad though.
    yes it is what are you talking about...if there are a bunch of gay npc's running around and little kids are watching it then it's promoting the idea to them. your sad if your too blind to see this

Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire View Post
    most npcs are not said to be one way or the other... hell considering how the culture of the night elves is I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of lesbian sentinels and gay druids since the two genders were mostly seperated from eachother for thousands of years...
    *points at your avatar*

My thoughts on this thread exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeG View Post
    case in point

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnburger View Post
    yes it is what are you talking about...if there are a bunch of gay npc's running around and little kids are watching it then it's promoting the idea to them. your sad if your too blind to see this
    Little kids shouldn't be playing this game in the first place. It's rated T.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orcshaman24 View Post
    But whatever. I've seen posts like this and the trollers that come with it. People sit in there chairs as home mouthing off anything pretending they have the guts to, but irl would probably run from it or cower off. But hey, least this shows what people think, narrow minded as it is.
    and you can't seem to deal with the fact that people have a difference of opinion. that's pretty narrow minded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Promoting it? There are priests in the game; is that promoting Catholicism? Should all priests be removed because not everyone is Catholic?

As several people have said very few of the NPC's have relationships with other NPC's while we could assume that 95% of them are asexual it's far more likely that Blizzard just don't think it's important to plot.

As Garam says there are a disgraceful amount of immature homophobes in WoW (sadly probably representative of the world we live in) and as such I wouldn't want a gay NPC unless he/she was amazingly awesome, one of the good guys and impossible to kill.

I open several tickets in an average week about people being homophobic/sexist/racist or just generally bigoted, I usually give them a chance and ask them to reconsider there language...very few of them do and it's nice to note they are almost always not seen for a few days. Blizzard does at least take reports seriously.

I'm sure there was some suggestion one of the dragons was transgender in human form? although I'm sure that was probably just a mistake.

a lot of teenagers and young adults will hopefully realize that "normal" is what they grew up with and the vast world around them, their normal isn't.

Ok... I gotta stop you here.

You do realize that people are either born straight or gay right? That seeing things on tv or in games that include homosexuals won't "turn" them one way or the other?

Also, why is it bad to promote equal rights on any medium? Please enlighten me as to why you think this would be harmful to children?

ETA: I am a mother of two children. First of all: I don't let my kids play a T rated game. Second of all: It honestly does not matter to me if they are exposed to the idea that "Steve and Frank/Jill and Susan love each other the same way Mommy and Daddy love each other," because that is OKAY. Just because it is not a lifestyle you choose for yourself, does not mean that it is wrong or immoral. It's LOVE. Love is a beautiful thing whether it's between a man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman.
    Last edited by Odayaka; 2010-11-13 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greevir View Post
    and you can't seem to deal with the fact that people have a difference of opinion. that's pretty narrow minded.
    ^ This. I see it all the time. People think that they are right, we're wrong, and we're all trolls and narrow minded if we think otherwise. The fact is, this topic pretty irrelevant.

Promoting it? There are priests in the game; is that promoting Catholicism? Should all priests be removed because not everyone is Catholic?
    There is a difference, and even proponents of gay rights should be able to see that. Catholicism isnt exactly an area of extreme debate nowadays; minus the whole sex offender stuff, its completely assimilated into society. Homosexuality, for better or for worse, is not, and points of hot debate have absolutely no place in mainstream entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baever View Post
    Heroic modes =/= additional bosses. It's the same encounter, but cannot be steamrolled by an inbred Texan with same IQ as a roll of toilet paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    And, more, I'm fairly certain there are several homosexual characters in the game - they don't need to have <Gay> under their name to make it so.
    I'm that guy who enjoys sitting their 6'5" frame in front of little kids in movie theaters.

OP being trolln, mon.
    We have gay npcs ingame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

priests is a class that people enjoy playing, is gay a class? if you feel that way go talk to blizzard and have them remove priests from the game. And there are many branches of religion so its not necessarily promoting catholics.

Promoting it?
    It's that sort of pish that ended up with the UK having laws that stopped the promotion of homosexuality in schools, the wording was so vague most schools shied away from anything but cold hard facts.

Thankfully the law no longer exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one is imposing anything on you.

The fact that you're getting so offended by the mere idea of there being a presence in the game you disapprove of is pretty sad though.
    Some people may be offended by the idea of a gay NPC, and thats just as well as homosexuals being offended by the idea of there NOT being a gay NPC in the game.

Fact is, people in minorities try very hard to get their way of life into the main stream as in obvious in the article in the original post. While I can understand why; it does put pressure on the people who were perfectly content before, to change their ideas about what is normal or what is okay. It is imposing weather its wrong or not.

Sometimes you need to think about the other guy, believe me I hate it that homosexuals are killing themselves or worse being killed by haters, but for some people; peaceful people, it's pretty hard for them to just up and change their entire mentallity about sexuallity.

for gods sake my grandfather almost had a heart attack when he saw his first gay wedding, i remember his quote "I never thought I would see the day". Can you imagine what he was feeling? He didnt shout out hate slurs or anything, he was just so suprised that it happened, because when he was young he didnt even know homosexuallity existed (because people were to scared to admit it).

sorry to ramble, point is, try looking at both sides of the coin even if you feel the other half is completley irrational.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taran111 View Post
    There is a difference, and even proponents of gay rights should be able to see that. Catholicism isnt exactly an area of extreme debate nowadays; minus the whole sex offender stuff, its completely assimilated into society. Homosexuality, for better or for worse, is not, and points of hot debate have absolutely no place in mainstream entertainment.
    Yeah, there is a difference, because being Catholic is a choice. The example still works though.

priests is a class that people enjoy playing, is gay a class? if you feel that way go talk to blizzard and have them remove priests from the game. And there are many branches of religion so its not necessarily promoting catholics.
    So you don't think the presence of priests promotes religion?

Quote Originally Posted by myrkyr View Post
    In behavior, normal refers to a lack of significant deviation from the average.
    Hence gay is not normal. Neither is my sexuality. At least homosexuality and bisexuality is given as an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by tilgare View Post
    If gay were normal (read: more prevalent), our species would have died out long ago and none of us would be here. Homosexuals are, statistically speaking, in the minority. It may feel normal to be gay to you, but looking at numbers, it's simply less common.
    Just so you know, the reason many people dismiss the usage of the term "Normal" to refer to heterosexuality is because "Normal" has a ton of connotation. Act ignorant of it if you want, but you know perfectly well that when someone says someone else isn't "normal" it's commonly meant in a derogatory way.

We have words that can describe heterosexuality and homosexuality more precisely. Usage of (and defending the usage of) "normal" because it can just mean "average" doesn't in any way justify it, because it often means something else entirely.

That said, I think the article was silly, because sexuality is mostly a non-topic in the actual story. And, more, I'm fairly certain there are several homosexual characters in the game - they don't need to have <Gay> under their name to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Odayaka View Post
    You do realize that people are either born straight or gay right?
    Trolololo

Quote Originally Posted by Odayaka View Post
    Also, why is it bad to promote equal rights on any medium? Please enlighten me as to why you think this would be harmful to children?
    We don't need to promote ANYTHING in a game. It is a game, not a political platform.

Quote Originally Posted by taran111 View Post
    The obvious difference is that one of those is fanciful pish that should be mocked out of existence and the other is a simple matter of biology.

This kind of silliness, trying to convince people that sexuality matters, doesn't really help the gay community. At all. Much as I'd like to join in on the Lorthemar joke, I'll try to keep things serious.

I find this argument as silly as if the poster had substituted "gay world of warcraft" for, say, "african-american world of warcraft" or "jewish world of warcraft". No disrespect intended towards any of the three demographics, but why are people so insistent on emphasizing their mostly meaningless differences? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in this case, heterosexuality is the default configuration for animals. To state otherwise would be sort of silly -- our sexuality is innate, no matter what certain types of people would have you believe.

I'm rambling and not making my point, so here it is: until our society reaches the point where we don't spend so much damn time emphasizing our differences, be those differences in race, creed, color, sexuality, or whatever other absolutely meaningless difference between us, things are going to suck. Attempting to encourage others to embrace the fact that we all have these differences of whatever sort from one another is one thing -- a good thing. Trying to force them into it just breeds resentment among those who are too stupid or close-minded to ever accept you to begin with.

This has nothing to do with gay rights, and everything to do with one particular author feeling upset because his particular demographic isn't represented. Somebody, or multiple somebodies, could have chosen not to make any openly gay NPCs for a number of reasons -- it's a touchy thing. Say you make a gay NPC, but you depict them in, shall we say, semi-stereotypical fashion. It's not something you do deliberately to offend, but guess what, you just offended. Except now, not only have you offended one community (admittedly, these are the idiots who are offended by homosexuality and really not worth caring about) but you've also offended the community you were, presumably, trying to reach out to with your product. Oops.

Blizzard doesn't really thrust the sexuality of ANY of its characters in your face. It's not relevant to the storyline, and feeling offended because your particular demographic isn't adequately represented is just silly.