So this is a thing in Japan now
    The Japan Pop Sub-Committee, created to promote "Cool Japan", says there are too many hard-core otaku anime and not enough anime with wide appeal. It should more anime be made to appeal to a wider audience like Ghibli movies, not anime cater to otaku.

After a string of international anime successes such as “Gundam Wing,” “Pokémon,” “Dragonball Z” and “Sailor Moon,” the Japanese government belatedly began waking up to the influence of the nation’s pop culture — a phenomenon dubbed “soft power,” as a counterpoint to “hard” exports such as cameras or cars. By 2003, the concept seemed like a no-brainer. Anime was everywhere.

For all the promise anime had shown as a worldwide phenomenon, the next decade would see a long slide into irrelevance for Japanese pop culture. With the exception of a few shining stars who continued to push boundaries, such as Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon, Shinichiro Watanabe and Mamoru Hosoda, the anime industry increasingly turned inward rather than outward, choosing to target a tiny but reliable domestic audience of die-hard anime otaku (obsessives) rather than gambling on new productions for the mainstream.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/.../#.UtIktbRbzTk

a recent thing? hasn't that what people have been saying about japan for a decade now?

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    a recent thing? hasn't that what people have been saying about japan for a decade now?
    Not a recent thing but they started talking about it again in 2014 it's been going on since 2003.
    Last edited by Yami; 2014-01-12 at 07:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    dat episode of ippo pulled at a few of my heart strings
    Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    IPPO! It made my cry like a big baby!
    Just wait until the Post-War Arc. It had some pretty emotional parts. Supposedly it's going to take place this season, although in the manga it happened directly after the Bryan Hawk fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Honestly, I found that painful to listen to. I usually prefer songs with a strong main "tune", and a chorus that gets stronger as the song progresses. But the GT op2 didn't change at all (apart from that one time at ~0:11).

So, I have to disagree with you about the opening, it would be one I'd skip whenever I watch the show.

Many dungeons used to be like that at a point. WC? Confusing as hell, with many different mobs, too.
    Scarlet monastary? I have both fond and scary memories from that place. Fond when I was there with people who knew their shit. Scary when I was there with a warrior tank w/o shield, a retardin as healer and two mages who thought the beginning and end of their ability palette was arcane explosion.
    Also, BRD. That was one big ass dungeon, and I only ever finished it once during vanilla I think.

But these days? Everything in the old dungeons is balanced so that a one eyed monkey wearing his late grandmothers dress while doing the moonwalk can finish the dungeons in a reasonable amount of time.
    yes i remember the days very well. and yeah. my god. BRD back in the day? Full Clear? Oh you're talking at least 3 hours to put a group together. and then another hour just getting everyone there, and then god knows how long clearing it.

but yeah. dungeons these days. it's just sad. my warrior tank SOLOED Deadmines at like level 23 or 24.

Vanilla BRD was already the easy thing mate if u had done it in Beta you would puke just remebering it xD at lvl 58 being about 10hours in that fckn dungeon was so much pain (also in vanillia i did never even once did a full run only emperor rush or the fire ele rush for items )
    Also i liked the part that they did take so long for the dungeon in Log Horizon reminds me of the good old days where mmo's where actually hard. Also Shiroe even said that even expirienced groups would have problems with the dungeon simply due to the fact that they arent playing in front of a monitor anymore so u can't rly complain about the noobies taking so long for it. You can't imagine how much i would love a game like Log Horizon to be reality as a VR game x.x.

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    Vanilla BRD was already the easy thing mate if u had done it in Beta you would puke just remebering it xD at lvl 58 being about 10hours in that fckn dungeon was so much pain (also in vanillia i did never even once did a full run only emperor rush or the fire ele rush for items )
    Also i liked the part that they did take so long for the dungeon in Log Horizon reminds me of the good old days where mmo's where actually hard. Also Shiroe even said that even expirienced groups would have problems with the dungeon simply due to the fact that they arent playing in front of a monitor anymore so u can't rly complain about the noobies taking so long for it. You can't imagine how much i would love a game like Log Horizon to be reality as a VR game x.x.
    vanilla brd was easy because groups were one of 3 things.
    1) Jail Break.
    2) Emperor Rush.
    3) Atunement Rush

doing the whole damn thing...

since it's only about the first episodes, there are some 'not-so-sure' placements: Buddy Complex, Mahou Sensou and Nourin.

Anyway - I have to agree with Sakura Trick OP as the catchiest one

Good/Enjoyable
    Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
    D-Frag!
    Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
    Nisekoi
    Noragami
    Sakura Trick
    Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta

Meh, decent but not anything special
    Buddy Complex
    ImoCho
    Nobunagun
    Nourin
    Onee-chan ga Kita
    Pupa
    Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda

Will likely drop.
    Pupipo!
    Mahou Sensou
    Witch Craft Works

Chelly
    Good/Enjoyable
    Gin no Saji 2nd Season
    Nisekoi
    Nourin
    Noragami

Dropped so damn hard.
    Nobunaga the fool, Jesus what an awful show

Haven't bothered with the rest, and I'll probably only add D-Frag! to the list. It's just painful having to delete most shows once you've downloaded the most recent episode, and even more so if I follow too many shows. Stupid external HDD just had to break.
    Last edited by Chelly; 2014-01-12 at 10:13 AM.

Good/Enjoyable, will definitely watch
    D-Frag!
    Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
    Nisekoi
    Noragami
    Onee-chan ga Kita
    Sakura Trick
    Seitokai Yakuindomo*
    Witch Craft Works

Okay, unlikely I will drop
    Hoozuki no Reitetsu
    Mahou Sensou
    Nobunaga the Fool
    Noragami
    Pupa
    Pupipo!
    Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga.
    Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda
    Space☆Dandy
    Strange+
    Super Sonico The Animation
    Tonari no Seki-kun

May drop, don't know yet
    Hamatora The Animation
    Nobunagun
    Robot Girls Z
    Wake Up, Girls!

Will probably drop
    Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta

There's still two shows I'm looking forward to that that hasn't started yet, Wizard Barristers and Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha.

Chelly

These bonus cd versions are pretty damn good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Akame ga Kill domain was registered. Looks like anime series is looking more and more likely.

Super excited for it. Wonder how long it will be, and where they'll end. I just hope to god Tatsumi isn't voiced by Yuuki Kaji...

Chelly
    Please don't censor it. Especially Esdese's scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonon View Post
    Please don't censor it. Especially Esdese's scenes.
    100% agree please dont

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    i don't know about you, but i remember my first couple trips through deadmines and the like back in the day, and it was very very tedious. hell it was that way for every dungeon, but moreso for the starters, because by the time you got higher up, people had already started learning how to operate as a group. when it was just deadmines though...well...yeah. it was ugly. you had the happy mages just blasting away before agro, and your group comp wasn't always 1 healer, 1 tank, 3 dps. so seeing them in there is very nostalgic. as for the explaining everything, i think they are trying to make it so those who don't play mmo's understand whats going on.
    Eh, I suppose. I remember there being trouble my first few times, but it wasn't on the first few packs of mobs lol. It's even worse by the fact they're already in their 20s. Perhaps dungeons start later in that game though. I guess it's understandable but it doesn't make it any less frustrating lol. As for the explaining everything, you're probably correct that they're doing it for people not familiar with mmos. It's still extremely tedious though. I think a better way of doing it would be to explain it while they're actually fighting, rather than a 10 minute discussion of mmo mechanics. They should of done it how they did it the first time Shiroe's group got in a fight. Albeit they should tone down the explanations because it was a bit tedious than as well, but I think it would be the better alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/commen...ll_be_getting/

sooo... they are making an anime of the spinoff because they will have cought up with the normal Magi at the end of the season and want to make money with the franchise still? I didn't even read the spinoff yet maybe i should check it out if it gets an anime so soon but in my honest opinion there are still alot mangas out there that would deserve an anime more then the spinoff ;<

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Eh, I suppose. I remember there being trouble my first few times, but it wasn't on the first few packs of mobs lol. It's even worse by the fact they're already in their 20s. Perhaps dungeons start later in that game though. I guess it's understandable but it doesn't make it any less frustrating lol. As for the explaining everything, you're probably correct that they're doing it for people not familiar with mmos. It's still extremely tedious though. I think a better way of doing it would be to explain it while they're actually fighting, rather than a 10 minute discussion of mmo mechanics. They should of done it how they did it the first time Shiroe's group got in a fight. Albeit they should tone down the explanations because it was a bit tedious than as well, but I think it would be the better alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/commen...ll_be_getting/
    out of idle curiosity. when did you start playing wow? like what expansion?

Deleted
    See, It wasn't necessarily the explanation of the abilities that the scene was supposed to represent. It was more supposed to represent the bonding of a group and learning to understand what everyone is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    out of idle curiosity. when did you start playing wow? like what expansion?
    I think late vanilla or early burning crusade. Somewhere around 2006-07.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think late vanilla or early burning crusade. Somewhere around 2006-07.
    so you probably got in a group with at least one or two people who had already been in there before. try doing it when wow was just released and nobody knew anything. it was horrible.