Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Everyone here writes in English and the site is devoted to World of Warcraft, an American MMORPG that has no popularity in Japan.
    English is a universal language so it would seem like the proper language to use on a website with many people who congregate. The MMO reaches farther then just America. Also as everyone said fun things are fun so you are saying we can't like things you don't like?

I will never understand what people like about anime and Japanese culture in general. I want to know why people here, on an American created website, like it. What is interesting?
    I don't see the difference compared to say if I watched something animated out of say France then Japan.

To me "anime" is just an animated show. I watch anime in place of TV, where some people will watch sitcoms and other such as their form of entertainment (Friends, Suits, New Girl, Supernatural, Grimm are examples). I mean yeah I watch a few non anime things here and there, but I would enjoy marathoning an anime compared to say marathoning Supernatural. Doesn't matter where or what form it comes in. Something that is entertainment is well, entertainment. It's medium to be delivered matter not.

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    English is a universal language so it would seem like the proper language to use on a website with many people who congregate. The MMO reaches farther then just America. Also as everyone said fun things are fun so you are saying we can't like things you don't like?
    No I just stopped by to hopefully find out what people liked about anime as a form of entertainment in comparison with something like a blockbuster movie made by Michael Bay.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Deleted
    Everyone here writes in English and the site is devoted to World of Warcraft, an American MMORPG that has no popularity in Japan.
    English is the closest thing the world has to an universal language and is the language of the internet. What other language do you see international sites communicating in? Oo
    WoW is an international game, with only a fraction of players playing in the US. Also, what does WoW's popularity in Japan have to do with anime? Oo
    No I just stopped by to hopefully find out what people liked about anime as a form of entertainment in comparison with something like a blockbuster movie made by Michael Bay.
    Come on, the only thing Michael Bay does well is explosions. Of all the things you could have brought up here you mention the most famous B class director?
    Anime and related media are a form of entertainment, just as rich and varied as any other - movies, TV series, books or graphic novels.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2014-04-19 at 10:19 PM.

I remember seeing some threads you wrote in the past about Angel beats and having a Watamote avatar what happened to those? It seems you have a deep enough understanding with anime if you were to have a avatar of a anime character and talking about Angel beats. Also don't try and back peddle and say I don't remember those I can check your post history and find it and link it to you if you choose not to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    English is the closest thing the world has to an universal language and is the language of the internet. What other language do you see international sites communicating in? Oo
    WoW is an international game, with only a fraction of players playing in the US. Also, what does WoW's popularity in Japan have to do with anime? OoCome on, the only thing Michael Bay does well is explosions. Anime and related media are a form of entertainment, just as rich and varied as any other - movies, TV series, books or graphic novels.
    Ok I'll just accept your opinion and move on since it was a logical explanation.

15+ Year Old Account
    well you mean besides the fact that anime actually has a story that makes sense (most the time), instead of just explosions and explosions and explosions in Michael Bay films?

or how about the fact that Anime is very diverse in the amount of stories it has?

or how about the fact that anime just appeals to nerds? wow is a nerdy game.
    are wow players likely to play other video games? probably.
    are wow players who are into fantasy or sci fi books and movies? most likely.
    are wow players likely to be into comics? sure they could.
    are wow players going to be interested in CCGs? yep.

so why couldn't they be into anime?

Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    well you mean besides the fact that anime actually has a story that makes sense (most the time), instead of just explosions and explosions and explosions in Michael Bay films?

or how about the fact that Anime is very diverse in the amount of stories it has?

I only used Michael Bay as an example since almost all Americans love his movies and they are successful enough to keep spawning sequels. That new Transformer movie coming out for example.

Nothing else to it really.

Deleted
    I only used Michael Bay as an example since almost all Americans love his movies and they are successful enough to keep spawning sequels. That new Transformer movie coming out for example.

IDK, the last time I checked Transformers got bad reviews. That being said, nothing wrong with some action filled eye-candy with no thought required, I sure enjoyed all the pewpew in Transformers without any regrets or shame. Just not a good name to bring to the discussion when talking about merits of certain kinds of media.

15+ Year Old Account

thats because most americans are brain dead idiots who like combat and explosions and willingly overlook the huge flaws with his shows. it still got terrible reviews and the only reason it was a commercial success is explosions and combat. and the franchise.

Deleted
    thats because most americans are brain dead idiots who like combat and explosions and willingly overlook the huge flaws with his shows.
    Dun bring nation shaming up like that. >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Dun bring nation shaming up like that. >.>
    if the shoe fits...

So to summarize, there's more to anime than just what appears to be hyper sexualized female characters?

So to summarize, there's more to anime than just what appears to be hyper sexualized female characters?
    Couldn't you say the same thing about tv, movies and video games?

15+ Year Old Account
    by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    Couldn't you say the same thing about tv, movies and video games?
    What I noticed is almost every anime has one attractive female character on the cover. Is it to garner interest?

Deleted
    Yep. There is a ton of that too, of course - just like there is a ton of Michael Bay-level movies or bad stories in other media. Sex sells, overblown CGI sells, the same thing. Still, that does not take away any of the depth other series have.

Once again - anime is as diverse as any other medium, you can find everything.
    What I noticed is almost every anime has one attractive female character on the cover. Is it to garner interest?
    Eh, not every. But yeah, sex sells.

If anything WoW accelerated my interest into anime, other video games, ect. Then each game or show I played or watched got me into more and more, it just goes on from there. World of Warcraft is sort of a "gateway" game now with how broad a spectrum of things it has in it in forms of either serious or joke content (easter eggs).

IDK, the last time I checked Transformers got bad reviews. That being said, nothing wrong with some action filled eye-candy with no thought required, I sure enjoyed all the pewpew in Transformers without any regrets or shame. Just not a good name to bring to the discussion when talking about merits of certain kinds of media.
    Yeah most of what I always heard about Transformers was bad. Even to me, whom doesn't have much in depth knowledge with the universe it came from had a bad taste in my mouth after watching it. It was cool for the graphics and action scenes but other then that it was laughable at a good representation of what it was showing (lore-wise).

thats because most americans are brain dead idiots who like combat and explosions and willingly overlook the huge flaws with his shows. it still got terrible reviews and the only reason it was a commercial success is explosions and combat. and the franchise.
    'MERICA
    A popular name carries more weight then that of anything else in the eyes of most Americans. That and our super riskay "sex" scenes. Doesn't help that most people get most info about a movie from it's trailer then it's reviews before they see it too.

15+ Year Old Account
    well considering the largest audience of most anime is teenage to 20 something males...

Sex sells, though it's not nearly close to every anime has this. Even then trends sell well too, and something that is well always "trendy" is a well endowed female lead it seems.

well considering the largest audience of most anime is teenage to 20 something males...
    Yeah this too, target audience.