10+ Year Old Account
    I am not a tremendous anime fan myself, but I have found these to be really well written and animated:

- FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood - probably my favorite one (I think it is also more in line with the manga, which is usually good)
    - Neon Genesis Evangelion (complicated neo-theology based story that I liked)
    - Evangelion 2.0 (which you could argue falls in the previous one)
    - Darker than Black (just started it a few days ago, loving it so far)
    - Death Note (goes without saying)
    - D. Gray Man (enjoyable while being lacking at times)

Entertainment-wise I like (please don't hurt me) :

- Great Teacher Onizuka
    - Bleach (sans the fillers, the bount arc made me cry in pain, I had to skip some episodes) it is good fun though, and became really interesting when the Arrancar arc started (its not the best, I just like it for easy entertainment)

I think Ichiban Ushiro No Daimaou could have been a really good one had it not focused so much on partial nudity to "sell". The story was also rushed into 12 episodes and it felt as if they skipped to the end... They don't explain a lot.

Again, not a huge anime connoisseur.
    Last edited by EventHorizon; 2010-12-30 at 04:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    I see your Mio and I raise you Shihna from Angel Beats.

[video=youtube;JpzBnPHWHAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpzBnPHWHAk[video]

That's right baby, it's over 9000!
    I see your Shihna and I raise you Azu-nyan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
    I
    - Great Teacher Onizuka
    This piece is pure awesomeness and makes me laugh every episode.
    And if any of you who really liked DeathNote looks for something interesting to watch Code Geass is really nice anime to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Gurrag View Post
    While I agree with your opinion on dubs I'm just trying to say if dubs are as easily available as subs there would be more dub watchers, no matter how crappy it is.
    The thing is that even among anime's that have dubs most people who watch anime on a regular basis prefer watching them with subs than with their dubs. Mainly because we want to see how the story was supposed to go according to the original animator's intent.

Hell I could even look at kiddie anime's like Pokemon the Movie 3, where the dub has a completely different storyline from the original Japanese, and you can only get that story by turning on the subs and watching it in Jap! That's just an example of how bad subs are. Now after I watch a series in Jap with subs and a dub comes out I may give the dub a shot, but 9 times out of 10 the dub is so bad I just go back to the Jap subbed version.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Taneshima-chan, Working!
    Last edited by lizon; 2010-12-30 at 07:07 PM.

Deleted
    Some animes to avoid

Black Lagoon, the second season. Awful end to the series and some laughable attempts of Japanese voice actors dubbing their characters with an american accent.

Baccano- Was looking forward to it. Pretentious, long winded tripe. A personal opinion.

Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei - This is the 2nd sequel to what started off as quite a dark and intense series. This 5 part OAV is pure fan service, with very weak dialogue.

Basilisk - High production values for sure. Surprisingly dull story line and unloveable characters. One of the latter episodes to show their personable sides was truly puke worthy.

Samurai Champloo - After the exceptional and noteworthy Cowboy Bepop series, I was really looking forward to this one. This series was souless and much could be said for its conclusion. A real disappointment.

Fate stay night - Dear lord is all I can say.

Others to recommend.

Berserk - All time favourite anime. A particularly dark ending. Very moving and layered with mythology, politics and sociology. A true masterpiece.

Twelve Kingdoms - A bit of an epic. Alot going on in this period drama anime. I found it complex and enjoyeable, although overly long in its third arc. Very dark in places.

Hunter X Hunter - A slow start to begin with. Gets extremely dark towards the 64 part OAV.

Beast Player Erin- I've seen this recently. A very moving anime. Slightly let down by the number of flashbacks used. Comes to a very satisfying conclusion. Not as deeply political and well structured as Twelve Kingdoms, but a hidden gem nonetheless.

Monster - Needs a huge commitment of time. Needless to say, extremely moving in some parts and a very dark and thoughtful series. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2010-12-30 at 08:29 PM.

Chyio chan, since we seem to be a bit side tracked with the moe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Chyio chan, since we seem to be a bit side tracked with the moe ]
    Squee, I say; Squee!

I there a name for whatever Kushieda has? ›.‹
    "If at first you don't succeed, you really need to quit this game."
    -Judic

I'm beginning to wonder how many WoW players also enjoy watching anime. You know like a % breakdown.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Ichiban Ushiro No Daimaou could have been a really good one had it not focused so much on partial nudity to "sell". The story was also rushed into 12 episodes and it felt as if they skipped to the end... They don't explain a lot.

Again, not a huge anime connoisseur.
    Indeed... But Ecchi is ecchi^^

FullMetal Alchemist (Brotherhood)
    I've seen the first series (which is anime only after the 13th(?) episode). Sure, it weren't as great as I supposed it would be and sure it was a rush for those last episodes, but it will still be a memorial anime.

D. Gray Man
    Don't get me wrong, but this show is scary! When I even think about the idea of metal skeletons getting inside human bodies, crushing the "former" bones.. (Squeeel of fear!)

Bleach (sans the fillers, the bount arc made me cry in pain, I had to skip some episodes) it is good fun though, and became really interesting when the Arrancar arc started (its not the best, I just like it for easy entertainment)
    Fillers will still be fillers.. (YES, I'm talking about Naruto as well!) But when they added the Arrancar arc.. Ulquiorra-sama!! /drool :P

Great Teacher Onizuka
    *BOTH thumbs up!*
    I mean, this anime is incredible. It's so darn easy to see the humor, but when something else happens meanwhile (impossible feats).. Epic.. :P

Death Note (goes without saying)
    Well.. If I could obtain a book like Light did, I would actually do the same thing. (No offense, if it offense anyone) Were a masterpiece, but I at least wanted to know

Anime: Death Note spoiler! (Last Episode) (Color Red, so that people watching it will clearly see the spoiler part, so that they can scroll down/up)

What happened to Light when he died on the stairs? Did someone pick him up? I'm totally clueless... Were a good end though.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2010-12-30 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Hate typos and forgetting to link.. (Quote link) ::P

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Some animes to avoid

Black Lagoon, the second season. Awful end to the series and some laughable attempts of Japanese voice actors dubbing their characters with an american accent.

Baccano- Was looking forward to it. Pretentious, long winded tripe. A personal opinion.

Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei - This is the 2nd sequal to what started off as quite a dark and intense series. This 5 part OAV is pure fan service, with very weak dialogue.

Basilisk - High production values for sure. Surprisingly dull story line and unloveable characters. One of the latter episodes to show their personable sides was truly puke worthy.

Samurai Champloo - After the exceptional and noteworthy Cowboy Bepop series, I was really looking forward to this one. This series was souless and much could be said for its conclusion. A real disappointment.

Fate stay night - Dear lord is all I can say.

Others to recommend.

Berserk - All time favourite anime. A particularly dark ending. Very moving and layered with mythology, politics and sociology. A true masterpiece.

Twelve Kingdoms - A bit of an epic. Alot going on in this period drama anime. I found it complex and enjoyeable, although overly long in its third arc. Very dark in places.

Hunter X Hunter - A slow start to begin with. Gets extremely dark towards the 64 part OAV.

Beast Player Erin- I've seen this recently. A very moving anime. Slightly let down by the number of flashbacks used. Comes to a very satisfying conclusion. Not as deeply political and well structured as Twelve Kingdoms, but a hidden gem nonetheless.

Monster - Needs a huge commitment of time. Needless to say, extremely moving in some parts and a very dark and thoughtful series. Highly recommended.
    Higurashi Rei was not pure fanservice, It had ONE fanservice episode aka the Pool. I actually found the rest of the OVAs to be quite important as to expanding Hanyuu's character, what she was like as a mother and overall her darker side since in Kai all you saw of Hanyuu was pretty close to pure Moe blob.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRm6RWVWoGU This made Rei so much win
    Last edited by Isilarya; 2010-12-30 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm beginning to wonder how many WoW players also enjoy watching anime. You know like a % breakdown.
    Well, my brother is a WoW player as well.. 50/50 as a start. :P

Deleted
    @Mekina

You're right, fanservice for the complete five episodes was an exaggeration, however the plot was very weak. For five episodes it took awfully long to get any real plot developments moving and the dialogue was overly long and not very interesting. For me the show lost its dark intensity. The weakest by far out of the three series for sure.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have much to say on this topic, except adding a few animes that I've watched and liked (too lazy to read all the posts, so I'll just write those that the OP didn't). Not going to write a lot about each. Mainly as english isn't my main language, so my vocabulary on this subject really sucks. :P

Toaru majutsu no index - Action, sci-fi, super powers.
    Not much to say about this except that it's awesome.

Toaru kagaku no railgun
    Same as above, it's kind of a spin off with the same chars (Though, different main characters).

Nyan koi - Comedy, romance.
    I'd say this one is a bit similar to Toradora.

Requiem for the phantom - Action, drama, psychological.
    Can't really find anything to compare this one with. The main character gets brainwashed and trained to one of the best assasins in Japan. If you like action + drama (like Claymore for example), you really must see this anime.

School rumble - Comedy, romance.
    Awesome anime, don't think I've ever laughed as much as when I watched this one (seriously, my brother that is siting 2 closed doors away and having his headset on was complaining I was laughing too much).

Canaan - Action, drama.
    Could say this one is a bit similar to Requiem for the phantom.

Could have made the list twice as long, but chose to only pick the absolutely best ones. I'd probably place all these on my top 10 list together with Kanon2006, Elfen Lied, Shuffle and Death Note (watched about 60 now, haven't even turned on my TV since I started watching anime during late summer :P ).

EDIT: Gonna add another one that's still ongoing: "Fortune Arterial". It's about vampires, would probably place it in the drama/romance genre. If you like that kind of animes, you should really check it out.
    Last edited by Arka90; 2010-12-30 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arka90 View Post
    EDIT: Gonna add another one that's still ongoing: "Fortune Arterial". It's about vampires, would probably place it in the drama/romance genre. If you like that kind of animes, you should really check it out.
    Fortune Arterial just ended. No news on a second season yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    need.. to watch.. K-ON!..

Quote Originally Posted by Parablius View Post
    I there a name for whatever Kushieda has? ›.‹
    Minorin ftw!

i'm pretty sure the number is exactly manypointsomethingpercent.

on a sidenote, @people linking videos: please keep in mind to avoid or at least clearly mark spoilers.
    (i don't think there've really been any yet. just saying, as there've been quite a lot linked and embed ones on the last pages^^)

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    need.. to watch.. K-ON!..

Minorin ftw!

i'm pretty sure the number is exactly manypointsomethingpercent.

on a sidenote, @people linking videos: please keep in mind to avoid or at least clearly mark spoilers.
    (i don't think there've really been any yet. just saying, as there've been quite a lot linked and embed ones on the last pages^^)
    We will only share Moe-Awesomeness. Mio-chan, don't cry!

Well the only thing i've spotted about a future Fortune Arterial is http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=7579 a 1 ep ova in a few months but when you get a 1 ep ova its usualy in the middle of 2 seasons so prolly the last quater of next year if there is an s2

and that last mio clip

mt fav anime are: time of eve, shakugen no shana, gurenn luggen, angel beats, elemental gelade and samurai champloo was cool

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Wait, how can 16 episodes be long winded? I thought the story was told very succinctly

Really anyone who likes Action Anime's should watch Katanagatari. That anime was IMO the best anime of the year by a mile. Here's the official promo on it. It was released as a single 45m episode every month for 12 months. It was epic.