Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Wai hate Shinji so much? He might have been a whiney weakling, but he still was more interesting than 90% of current protagonists.
    Sure, he was interesting. But far from likeable, in my opinion. The deal-breakers for me were, in End Of Evangelion, when he pretty much let's Misato die because he's having a catatonic tantrum and in the aftermath of the quasi-apocalypse, the first thing he does is start strangling the only other apparent survivor, who just so happens to be one of the few people in his life that cares about him. It's stuff like that and the fact that he becomes so self-absorbed during his existential crises that he simply doesn't care about the fate of humanity that shows how incredibly solipsistic he is. He's had a crappy childhood and because of that he thinks it's okay to see everyone else's lives as meaningless. It sucks that he's had it rough and he'd actually be a really sympathetic character if he had a little more stoic dignity/self-respect, but since he doesn't he just comes across as a selfish pussy. >.<

He's definitely interesting. You're absolutely right. But, he's also utterly contemptible, in my opinion.

Need a new anime to watch, enjoyed Madoka and fate/zero.

Any suggestions?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    Sure, he was interesting. But far from likeable, in my opinion. The deal-breakers for me were, in End Of Evangelion, when he pretty much let's Misato die because he's having a catatonic tantrum and in the aftermath of the quasi-apocalypse, the first thing he does is start strangling the only other apparent survivor, who just so happens to be one of the few people in his life that cares about him. It's stuff like that and the fact that he becomes so self-absorbed during his existential crises that he simply doesn't care about the fate of humanity that shows how incredibly solipsistic he is. He's had a crappy childhood and because of that he thinks it's okay to see everyone else's lives as meaningless. It sucks that he's had it rough and he'd actually be a really sympathetic character if he had a little more stoic dignity/self-respect, but since he doesn't he just comes across as a selfish pussy. >.<

He's definitely interesting. You're absolutely right. But, he's also utterly contemptible, in my opinion.
    I think the Misato's death, attacking Asuka and other disagreeable acts of his(fapfapfap?) illustrated his mental breakdown very well. Because, let's face it, he had every right to lose it after what had happened. On one hand, he'd be more likeable had he been less of a selfish pussy - but I can see where those aspects of his were coming from. TBH the main thing I like about him is that he was not made out to be inhumanely strong mentally - just a picture of absolutely normal, average kid; in way over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    Have you seen 3.0 yet?
    Gimme Blu-Ray premier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post

Any suggestions?
    Mai-Hime is very good and a little bit similar to Madoka. If not for last episode, the SO IMMA GONNA REVIVE EVERYONE! DEUS EX MACHINA HO, FUCK THE TENSION AND DRAMA! action, it'd be nearly as good as Madoka in my eyes.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-02-19 at 04:21 PM.

Wai hate Shinji so much? He might have been a whiney weakling, but he still was more interesting than 90% of current protagonists.
    Shinji is a great MC.
    is he a likeable MC? no.
    but he is a great one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    Have you seen 3.0 yet?
    No, I've not watched any of the "reboot" movies yet. I've been tempted to though, just cos Asuka looks like a badass with that eye-patch. Not sure what I think to adding another pilot out of the blue. Does it work in the plot? Does she serve a purpose?
    Would you recommend seeing the new stuff? I know the events that take place are slightly different to what happens in vanilla Eva, but does 3.0 take place in a time that would be in the aftermath of

Any suggestions?
    Hmm. The only other like big-scale, operatic drama stuff I've seen that isn't something typically recommended and something which you'll have likely seen would be movies. But, I'm guessing you want a series to watch? =I

I think the Misato's death, attacking Asuka and other disagreeable acts of his(fapfapfap?) illustrated his mental breakdown very well. Because, let's face it, he had every right to lose it after what had happened. On one hand, he'd be more likeable had he been less of a selfish pussy - but I can see where those aspects of his were coming from. TBH the main thing I like about him is that he was not made out to be inhumanely strong mentally - just a picture of absolutely normal, average kid; in way over his head.
    Those are all good points and they do make for a realistic character type/development when you think of how an already troubled adolescent would handle a highly stressful task/lifestyle and while I appreciate his story in as a consumer of fiction, I just can't like a character on a purely intellectual level when I can't stand them on an emotional one. xD
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-02-19 at 06:07 PM. Reason: was=/=want Derp

Yeah a series would be nice

I feel kinda sad now that ive finished Fate/zero.

Deleted

Yeah, it's damn good. Always a good sign when you're left feeling kind of melancholy when you finish a series. Shows how awesome it was.

Hmm. Well, you could try Neon Genesis Evangelion, despite my just bitching about the MC in my previous posts. It's damn good, despite Shinji being a wiener. In a way like Madoka, it's got young people living in a world that asks way too much of them and we observe how each of them handles it (or doesn't). And like Madoka, it's got some pretty intense fights and dramatic moments.

Then, some stuff which I haven't seen myself, but are definitely on my to-watch list (as I've only heard good things about both), you could check out Darker than Black or Serial Experiments Lain. Both seem to have that kind of darker, brooding vibe with moments of intensity, like Zero and Madoka.

Check out Psycho-Pass for more Urobuchi Gen (Madoka creator/writer and author of the Fate/Zero books the series is based on), or go find Saya no Uta, which made him famous in the first place. First one is a sci-fi/psychological thriller and is currently airing with 17 episodes out, second one is a (very) dark visual novel with some big time Lovecraft influence. Madoka was my introduction to Gen, and after Saya he was one of my favorite writers.

If you want more like Fate/Zero, the Kara no Kyoukai movies are great. There's 7 of them, so it just feels like a series with very long episodes. Animated by ufotable, music by Kajiura Yuki, and based on stories from the Type-Moon universe, all like Fate/Zero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then, some stuff which I haven't seen myself, but are definitely on my to-watch list (as I've only heard good things about both), you could check out Darker than Black or Serial Experiments Lain. Both seem to have that kind of darker, brooding vibe with moments of intensity, like Zero and Madoka.
    Having seen Darker Than Black, I definitely recommend it. It's very action-heavy so it's closer to Fate/Zero than Madoka, and while the story isn't quite as top notch as F/Z it's still a very good show.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Yeah, it's damn good. Always a good sign when you're left feeling kind of melancholy when you finish a series. Shows how awesome it was.

Hmm. Well, you could try Neon Genesis Evangelion, despite my just bitching about the MC in my previous posts. It's damn good, despite Shinji being a wiener. In a way like Madoka, it's got young people living in a world that asks way too much of them and we observe how each of them handles it (or doesn't). And like Madoka, it's got some pretty intense fights and dramatic moments.

Believe it or not i own Neon genesis Evangelion special editions, need to watch the movies and death and rebirth.

I watched an episode of Lain years ago at an anime group.

Also Saber was my fave but i really enjoyed Waver and Rider, what he said to Waver beforehe died so many tears.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel12; 2013-02-19 at 06:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Shinji is a great MC.
    is he a likeable MC? no.
    but he is a great one.
    I guess that's damn well put.

No, I've not watched any of the "reboot" movies yet. I've been tempted to though, just cos Asuka looks like a badass with that eye-patch. Not sure what I think to adding another pilot out of the blue. Does it work in the plot? Does she serve a purpose?
    Would you recommend seeing the new stuff? I know the events that take place are slightly different to what happens in vanilla Eva, but does 3.0 take place in a time that would be in the aftermath of
    New stuff is really good - in my opinion they cut out a bit too much of the psychological development, but for some that's an advantage. Also, the first 2 movies followed a very similar story, with only tweaks. 3.0, however, is probably going to deviate a lot more from original's story. Also, mentioning Asuka with an eyepatch is a spoiler of 3.0 for a few reasons.

Those are all good points and they do make for a realistic character type/development when you think of how an already troubled adolescent would handle a highly stressful task/lifestyle and while I appreciate his story in as a consumer of fiction, I just can't like a character on a purely intellectual level when I can't stand them on an emotional one. xD
    Hah, I always kinda liked those kinds of stories - a kid put in a hard situation, without a way out and with an astoundingly heavy weight tied to his decisions.

Believe it or not i own Neon genesis Evangelion special editions, need to watch the movies and death and rebirth.

I watched an episode of Lain years ago at an anime group.

Also Saber was my fave but i really enjoyed Waver and Rider, what he said to Waver beforehe died so many tears.
    Have you read the entire Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel? If not, go read it. Fate/Zero is its' prequel, and while you have unfortunately spoiled yourself quite a bit of the VN's story if you take them in in chronological order, it's a sin to not read that story.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-02-19 at 06:46 PM.

New stuff is really good - in my opinion they cut out a bit too much of the psychological development, but for some that's an advantage. Also, the first 2 movies followed a very similar story, with only tweaks. 3.0, however, is probably going to deviate a lot more from original's story. Also, mentioning Asuka with an eyepatch is a spoiler of 3.0 for a few reasons.
    1.0 followed a similar story
    2.0 started steering off course though, it wasn't really similar to the series.

Ugh, UBW was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Ugh, UBW was so bad.
    If you mean the movie, then I definitely agree. If you mean the VN route, then I am disappointed in you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    1.0 followed a similar story
    2.0 started steering off course though, it wasn't really similar to the series.
    Yeah, second movie steered off the series in a lot of ways - however, it still followed a roughly similar outline. Third movie, however, will just head in a completely different direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Ugh, UBW was so bad.
    really, just read the VN instead of trying to watch any Fate franchise anime other than Fate/Zero. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Brincamian View Post
    If you mean the movie, then I definitely agree. If you mean the VN route, then I am disappointed in you!
    He must have meant the movie. The route was fucking badass.

Also, <3 Saya no Uta.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    They should've serialized UBW instead. The movie was a lot more interesting than the anime series.
    They should have picked a route and made it into an anime instead of mashing all three together, adding some retarded shit and trying to make it work. :/
    And speaking of Saya no Uta, they are releasing a bluray edition in ~9 days with some pretty gory advertisement campaign stuff (Which I can't link).
    Blu-ray edition of a Visual Novel? What's the point? :O

Deleted
    They should've serialized UBW instead. The movie was a lot more interesting than the anime series.
    For the movie: The movie is impossible to understand unless you've read/played the VN. I understood it because I saw F/SN first. It was pretty much only made for the fans so they could see the fight scenes of the VN. Nevertheless, Archer in that route is a d!ck, Lancer was a complete badass (Double kill!), the kill on Ilya was BRUTAL. Ripping someone's heart out, oh my god. I liked UBW more than F/SN because F/SN didn't use True Saber ending and I liked the Shiro(right?) and Rin pairing more than ShiroxSaber.

pls

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    21:02 - Alaitoc: Gil > Berserker > Rider > Saber > Lancer > Caster >>>>>>>>>> Assassin

Deal with it
    Pft Saber>Rider>Lancer>Archer>Berzerker> Caster> Assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monado View Post
    No, no, no, no, no. Rider > Berserker > Gilgamesh > Lancer > Saber >>>>>>>>>>> Caster>>>>>>xinfinity > Assassin.
    Ranking Caster so low, do you guys even know what kooru is?

Caster > Rider > Berserker > Saber > Gil > Lancer > Assassin

French Saber > British Saber
    Quote Originally Posted by Brincamian View Post
    Yeah, I meant the movie. Haven't played the VN in a long time.
    really, just read the VN instead of trying to watch any Fate franchise anime other than Fate/Zero. :P
    He must have meant the movie. The route was fucking badass.
    Been lazily going through it.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2013-02-19 at 09:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monado View Post
    Anyone have a link for a Magi Episode 19 stream? I can't seem to find it on my regular sites, what's up with that?
    Neither gg (the one I use) or Commie has subbed it yet. I'm starting to think it's on a week break because it's already 3 days late and gg isn't this slow with it usually, but I can't back that up.

Caster was to cray cray D: