Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    I like this one better myself. BRS is just awesome.

I was also doing some updates to my website and I found a lot of reviews that I had done on several anime's that I don't see mentioned a lot here. I thought I should mention them because they are often easily overlooked by the mainstream fanbase out there and I think that they are just wonderful pieces of work.

Shangri-la

The story of a young woman fighting for her survival in a real "urban jungle." Only 18 years old, Kuniko Hojo finds herself at the heart of the battle for humanity's future when she discovers that the government which rules Atlas intends to continue marginalizing the less-privileged masses outside the tower - by force, if necessary.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

After a massive earthquake in Tokyo 25 km under the sea at a magnitude of 8.0, siblings Mirai and Yūki, who were visiting a robot exhibition in Odaiba at the beginning of their summer vacation, struggle to reach their parents in their house in Setagaya, assisted by a female motorcycle courier named Mari, who is striving to reach her own daughter and mother in Sangenjaya.

Dance in the Vampire Bund

The story revolves around Mina Ţepeş, princess-ruler of all vampires, and her "protector," Akira. Like other vampires, Mina has been in hiding with her people for many years. Seeking to end centuries of isolation, Mina gains permission to create a special district for vampires, "The Bund", off the coast of Japan by paying off the national debt of the Japanese government. Mina then reveals to the world the existence of vampires and her desire for both races to live together. Tensions, however, run high as fearful humans and extremist vampire factions begin to interfere with Mina's wish for peace with the human world.

Ookami Kakushi

A 15 year old boy, Hiroshi Kuzumi, has recently moved into a new town in the mountains. The town is separated into new and old streets by the river, and many mysterious local cultures still remain, and the townspeople are unusually friendly to him. Although confused and enjoying his new life, one person kept her distance from him: class committee member Kushinada Nemuru. In their few encounters she gave him a word of advice: "Stay away from the old streets.

Really if anyone of you here have not seen these four anime's take some time to see them. They are all top quality pieces, and despite their flaws you'll see that they are not typical of what is normally out there.
    I'm afraid I must disagree about Ookami Kakushi. It was a decent show at best, and one not worth your time at worst. It starts off as a potentially great anime, but slowly declines, ending at subpar. All my opinion of course...and how I feel about recommending it to others.

Dance in the Vampire Bund was pretty good, but it was missing something. And it dropped in quality (animation wise, haven't watched the dvds to see if it was fixed up) in the mid-to-second half area as SHAFT (the production studio) took on too many series (despite it's small size) and this show was one of the ones that suffered the most.

Shangri-la didn't catch my interest in the first episode, and something about it gave me the feeling that it didn't have much potential. Otherwise I've heard mixed reviews.

Tokyo Magnitude was a pretty good one overall, I felt that it was longer than it needed to be though. There was a lot of "filler" (little real progress) content, I'd say Tokyo Magnitude is the best of the 4 with Dance coming in 2nd and Ookami Kakushi coming in last.

One i really think should be on the list and isn't is Cowboy Bebop, its the predecessor to Samurai Champloo. Same director. But a little better imo.
    Code Geass is awesome, kind of like Death Note in its moral choice style(Death Note is also awesome).
    Both Full Metal Alchemist are good in their own way, the first series my my favourite by far, then the second season came out was even better. The first few eps of the second are obviously the same as the first because they both followed the manga(when dante appears in the first, is the change, as this is where the manga was at when the first anime got to it, so they created a different story for it.
    Of the current season, Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne looks like it'll be a very good comedy, so you should pick it up now as its airing if you already haven't.
    On the movie side of it, you should really watch all the studio Ghibli ones, they are about as good as it gets when it comes to anime movies. With many winning awards.
    Quoted from wikipedia:
    Several anime features created by Studio Ghibli have won the Animage Anime Grand Prix award, including: Castle in the Sky, in 1986; My Neighbor Totoro, in 1988; and Kiki's Delivery Service, in 1989. In 2002, Spirited Away won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature and it remains the only film made outside the English-speaking world to have done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenshiva View Post
    heh.. that kind of reminded me of Cardcaptor Sakura, Tsubasa Chronicles and XXXholic.
    Spinoffs typically contain a "alternate universe" or "main characters unrelated" clause...with TRC and XXX they were parallel stories and if you pay attention to them its the same universe as CCS since some things involving sakura and shaoran greatly affected the plot.

I am a CLAMP fanboy though and follow everything related to sakura like its some kind of freaky religion.

Deleted
    You should really go watch:

movies: Ghost in the shell / innocence: ghost in the shell / ghost in the shell: solid state society
    series: ghost in the shell: stand alone complex

racing: initial D

extremely funny: Ninin ga Shinobuden

weird but funny: FLCL (furi kuri)

first 2 seasons of Kenshin

evangelion

sports: Hikaru no go
    Last edited by mmoc2e7b040398; 2011-01-18 at 12:48 PM.

Anyone else watched Gungrave?

Quote Originally Posted by Mihir View Post
    You should really go watch:

movies: Ghost in the shell / innocence: ghost in the shell / ghost in the shell: solid state society
    series: ghost in the shell: stand alone complex

extremely funny: Ninin ga Shinobuden

weird but funny: FLCL (furi kuri)

first 2 seasons of Kenshin

evangelion

sports: Hikaru no go
    I can't say i would agree with you on ghost in the shell..other than the first movie the rest was total crap and long winded crap at that the only selling point was its looks and that was enough for some.

Initial D, FLCL, and evangelion are all good though, kenshin i found meh and the other 2 i havnt heard of.
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2011-01-18 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    I can say i would agree with you on ghost in the shell..other than the first movie the rest was total crap and long winded crap at that the only selling point was its looks and that was enough for some.

Initial D, FLCL, and evangelion are all good though, kenshin i found meh and the other 2 i havnt heard of.
    Ninin ga Shinobuden, or 2x2=shinobuden (http://myanimelist.net/anime/229/2x2=Shinobuden). It's a comedy revolving around a ninja girl (in training I think) who's being given unusual "missions" by the ninja master (who is a strange yellow ball with wings and is extremely perverted) in order to become a full fledged ninja. I found the first couple of episodes rather funny when I first watched it a while back (2004) but never finished it, I tried watching it again and aside from the first few episodes, I lost interest in it again.

If you've got some time to kill and enjoy comedy with a hint of perverted stuff, then give it a try. It's a short 12 episodes and shouldn't end up as a waste of time even if you don't really enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching Initial D right now, does the animation get any better after the first season?

Deleted
    yea
    there's an ova as well with the races from the first season redone in better graphics.

Deleted
    Let's see these are what i recommend:
    Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Gantz.
    Kore wa zombie desu ka.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Angel Beats. (a must see.)
    Spice and Wolf.

Think i forgot to mention an animé.. Oh yeah, Spice and Wolf. Seriously. Watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea
    there's an ova as well with the races from the first season redone in better graphics.
    Oh sweet, what is it called?

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Oh sweet, what is it called?
    Think the OVA's are called battle stages though from what i remember they arnt from the main story arc...if you just want to go with the story its stage 1 stage 2 and stage 4 and i wouldnt have said the animation got much better over the course of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by mtekz View Post
    Gungrave is one of my favorites

Im now watching:

Kore wa zombie desu ka
    Gosick
    Infinite Stratos
    And i will probably watch some animes from 08-10 that i never watched :d

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mtekz View Post
    i've watched it, but it wasn't that great imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ookami-San View Post
    Think i forgot to mention an animé.. Oh yeah, Spice and Wolf. Seriously. Watch it.
    <3

Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Gantz.
    Kore wa zombie desu ka.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.

I'm gathering you like Spice and Wolf. There's supposed to be a season 3 but I'm not sure when it's coming out. The manga is behind too.

To be honest, if I ever met a girl like Horo I would marry her on the spot. ^.^;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    Has Grave of the Fireflies been mentioned yet?

What about 5mm per Second?

Or Panty and Stocking with Garter Belt?
    Watched Panty and Stocking right when the first one came out, my friends all introduced me to it. First season just ended recently. I'm in love with that show. Beyond perversion and ridiculousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahpewpew View Post
    I refuse to give away my freedoms to be safe from decisions I make that affect myself.
    Good communities sometimes trump questionable staff.

I am aware sometimes I dont include apostrophes. My work keyboard is missing the button. Let it go.

Deleted
    Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Gantz.
    Kore wa zombie desu ka.
    Spice and Wolf.
    Spice and Wolf.

Spice n Wolf epicly good anime indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadell View Post
    Watched Panty and Stocking right when the first one came out, my friends all introduced me to it. First season just ended recently. I'm in love with that show. Beyond perversion and ridiculousness.
    I love it but the last episode...

Quote Originally Posted by Makina View Post
    Spinoffs typically contain a "alternate universe" or "main characters unrelated" clause...with TRC and XXX they were parallel stories and if you pay attention to them its the same universe as CCS since some things involving sakura and shaoran greatly affected the plot.

I am a CLAMP fanboy though and follow everything related to sakura like its some kind of freaky religion.
    my point was that Code Geass "3" is like saying TRC being CCS2 which is wrong. But i agree to the "freaky religion" part. CCS is one of the best magical genre anime, along with Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha imo.
    Perspective is like a coin. It has two faces, but most people fail to see both.