15+ Year Old Account
    Maou-sama - Amazing episode, might be my favourite so far. Glad Lucifer did not turn out evil. When he smiled when Oba showed up I was really hoping it was just a ruse, and was happy that it was. He hasn't really done anything to deserve being with them, but he pretty much saved everyone this episode. This one had alot of funny parts, loved when Ashiya showed up after the fighting, was laughing so hard. Maou is definitely MC of the season for me.

Valvrave - Wow, another amazing episode. That scene when L-Elf pulls out the gun, my heart was racing. Holy shit, I thought it was an amazing scene. Plus Shoko's screams followed by the cheers of the people in the war room, great directing. What I don't get is H-Neun, what was that about last episode? They didn't follow up on it and he just randomly shows up in this episode. Is he planning on backstabbing the rest of them or something? Also that proposal by Haruto, I actually jumped out of my chair. Damn.

I really didn't like it that much at the start, but I think this might be my anime of the season depending on how the last episode goes.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-06-21 at 01:36 AM.

This talk of recommendation makes me wonder: how people go about ranking series?

Like, I was just thinking the other day that for me I use MAL, which has a 1-10 system. Only problem is there are no decimals, so I might feel like something is worth a "6.5" but I can't express that accurately.

5> - I tend not to recommend and rarely finish, so there aren't many on my list.
    5 - Baseline "average."
    6 - A bit better. Kind of mixed in with 5's.
    7 - Has something I liked about it definitely, but either was just "okay" or missed the mark if it aimed high.
    8 - Worth watching if you're into the particular genre, and is worth a check out even if you aren't.
    9 - Very good, should watch unless you're really not into the genre.
    10 - I've only tossed Gunslinger Girl a 10, and that's because I'm a twerp. I'm not really sure if I have a fair way to judge this category, I just use GSG as my "top anchor" series.

I was kind of curious if people have anything like that in their heads as they go to rank things or if I'm just being extra-organized (as though somebody's going to grade my ranking system...).
    Last edited by Neichus; 2013-06-21 at 12:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine is pretty simple.

1-3 - Why did I even bother.
    4 - Awful.
    5 - Mediocre
    6 - Okay/average
    7 - Pretty good - Might Watch Again
    8 - Great - Could Watch Again
    9 - Amazing - Would Watch Again
    10 - 10/10 How Is This So Good - Would Watch Again

I used to not have 10/10 because it felt stupid, but realized might as well put the ones that were just masterfully done in it. Currently only have Clannad AS, Code Geass S1 and 2, Durarara!!, and Fate/Zero in it. Thinking of moving Steins;Gate up there and I would move Shin Sekai Yori in it if not for the animation being it's weakness.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    This talk of recommendation makes me wonder: how people go about ranking series?
    4 and below - Varying levels of bad.
    5 - Average. Series that get a 5 from me are either usually bad. Things I might have enjoyed somewhat, but I would never recommend them to anyone.
    6 - Decent. These series are good, but have problems that bring them down. I enjoy them, and I'd recommend them, but they aren't anything special.
    7 - Good. Things I enjoyed. If something has me entertained and I don't have very many problems with it, I'll rate it a 7.
    8 - Really good. Loved them, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Very little problems.
    9 - Amazing. Top of the line stuff, things that I enjoyed immensely. If it's a humour series, I probably laughed my head off. If it is a drama, I probably cried. Usually have one or two minor problems that made them miss out on 10.
    10 - Masterpieces, things I absolutely loved and could not stop watching. I'd recommend these to anyone, even people who don't usually watch anime. Share the same things with 9, except the problems are so small I easily overlook them.

I don't try to be objective, I rate (almost) entirely on enjoyment levels. If something keeps me entertained and interested throughout, I give it a good score, no matter how unoriginal it is. If something has multiple problems (bad ending, unlikable characters, boring plot, etc) I tend to rate it lower.

I also don't rate OVAs or specials, simply because 99% of the time they share the same score as the parent series. I think it looks cleaner. Specials I usually just take into account when rating the actual series. (only if they are important to plot, like OreImo and Kokoro Connect).
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-06-21 at 01:33 AM.

Deleted
    As I use anime-planet I work on 0.5-5 scale... which is effectively 1-10. From 0.5-2.5 is for stuff that just did not click with me at all, things I either dropped, watched through and decided I wasted my time or watched through and... Well, Bleach is one of 2s I gave out.

3-3.5 is for stuff simply average. Nothing spectacular, but a good watch. Naruto, Claymore, FMA, F/SN... A long, long list.

4s are for things just above the average - they might have glaring faults but the positive points far outweigh whatever is lacking.

4.5s are for the best. Faults are either non-existent or so little they're ignorable.

5s... Well. I gave out 17 fives out of 460 rated series. It's not easy to get 5 stars from me. ;P

Now, this is important: I do not even try to be objective(Yeah, that's a 5/5 on Mirai Nikki and 4.5/5 on Sword Art Online. Bite me :P). I rate anime based on my own experience alone, not on community voices or "neutral quality". For example, I abhor bad(Anime original endings! Gods!) manga, LN and VN adaptations. To list out one of VERY affected notes, Narutaru is one of my all-time favourite mangas while the anime got 1/5 from me.

There is no reason to try and be objective, those are your ratings and expression of your preference. Conforming to anything is pointless.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-06-21 at 01:33 AM.

By not using numbers since they turned out arbitrary. It's either 10/10godtier, good, alright, or shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends...If recommending i try to customize to the individuals tastes.

As for rating...That one i just give what i feel is right..Like some of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES may not get more then a 5 or 6...So i guess i go by artistic merit and overall sense of how well made it is even something as simple as a well executed story with a good message...So i guess the story and message are what are most important to me...Thus why Code Geass and Elfen Lied ALWAYS get high ratings abd most gundam series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post

Like, I was just thinking the other day that for me I use MAL, which has a 1-10 system. I use
    5> - I tend not to recommend and rarely finish, so there aren't many on my list.
    5 - Baseline "average."
    6 - A bit better. Kind of mixed in with 5's.
    7 - Has something I liked about it definitely, but either was just "okay" or missed the mark if it aimed high.
    8 - Worth watching if you're into the particular genre, and is worth a check out even if you aren't.
    9 - Very good, should watch unless you're really not into the genre.
    10 - I've only tossed Gunslinger Girl a 10, and that's because I'm a twerp. I'm not really sure if I have a fair way to judge this category, I just use GSG as my "top anchor" series.

I was kind of curious if people have anything like that in their heads as they go to rank things or if I'm just being extra-organized (as though somebody's going to grade my ranking system...).
    Thats about how I rank mine, though I'm A LOT more generous with 10s. Went back through my 10s to bring a lot down 1-3 because I was "hyped" when ranking them rofl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Now, this is important: I do not even try to be objective(Yeah, that's a 5/5 on Mirai Nikki and 4.5/5 on Sword Art Online. Bite me :P). I rate anime based on my own experience alone, not on community voices or "neutral quality". For example, I abhor bad(Anime original endings! Gods!) manga, LN and VN adaptations. To list out one of VERY affected notes, Narutaru is one of my all-time favourite mangas while the anime got 1/5 from me.

There is no reason to try and be objective, those are your ratings and expression of your preference. Conforming to anything is pointless.
    I'm vary rarely objective myself too. SAO would have gotten a solid 8 or 9 out of 10 for me if it stayed just like the first episode, but it just went downill from there and got a 6/10.

Mirai Nikki was a 7/10.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 02:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tealgod View Post
    Thats about how I rank mine, though I'm A LOT more generous with 10s. Went back through my 10s to bring a lot down 1-3 because I was "hyped" when ranking them rofl.
    That's the biggest problem with ranking for me. I realize looking back they got worse or better scores than they deserved.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think everyone suffers from that problem. For me, it is rare for an anime to stay the same score, I usually lower it after the hype has worn off.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people dont do 10s at all, which basically makes 9 the 10. I understand 10 should be "perfect masterpieces", but if you tell yourself I won't give anything a 10, you end up noting using it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealgod View Post
    A lot of people dont do 10s at all, which basically makes 9 the 10. I understand 10 should be "perfect masterpieces", but if you tell yourself I won't give anything a 10, you end up noting using it
    I did that for too long, then I realized nothing is perfect so you might as well just give 10/10 to the shows that matter to you the most that you think did as good a job as they could.

Yeah, that's kind of my bad habit as well. I can always think of something wrong with a series, even if it's minor, so I'm extra stingy with them. Another aspect is that I definitely rank GSG the highest of the series I've seen and so I'm hesitant to rank others as 10 and put them alongside.

There are a lot of shows that are way better when they still have that "new show appeal", that I'll actually go back and rate lower eventually. Seems like it's pretty common.

That said, I have a decent amount of 10s, and they're just the ones I love the most. Personal ratings should never be purely objective, that's what reviews are for.

The one thing I dislike about MAL is no VNs. Would be nice if they added a section for that.

i give out point for VA Storywriting art style animation quality how well they all work together story fluidty and if all of those are top then its a 4.5/5 for me the 5/5 are for me only my absolute all time favourites that i can watch again and again ^^ like Full Metal Panic i have atleast watched it 4 times now because best animu eva!

also 5/5 hard to get only 12 out of 395 animes ;X (and i have not many ova's and movies so is pretty much all shows) also most of my ratings are close to the average on AP.

and as far as i recomend stuff its basicly the 5's and the 4.5 simply because thats already atleast 1 month worth of animes
    Last edited by Valynvin; 2013-06-21 at 06:08 AM.

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brincamian View Post
    The one thing I dislike about MAL is no VNs. Would be nice if they added a section for that.
    I would love this so much.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 08:58 AM ----------

McDonalds - There are just too many amazing things with this episode. Best part was the underwear pose though.

Arata - Catching up with this show after being behind a few episodes (like half the shows this season) and seeing Arata in Japan punch that one guy made me dance with joy. I seriously want to just throw that guy down a hole. Yes Arata probably embarrassed him and his life is shit because of it but COME. ON.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2013-06-21 at 09:00 AM.

dat yahari ore episode awesome as always ;P loved hikis speech on the roof ;D also which of the 2 is gonna wind up winning the amazing boyfriend? xP

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    dat yahari ore episode awesome as always ;P loved hikis speech on the roof ;D also which of the 2 is gonna wind up winning the amazing boyfriend? xP
    What do you mean "which of the two"? He's gonna go for the yaoi hole of the prince.

:< that would be awkward ;P and which of the 2 guys u mean anyway? the feminine tennis guys or the blonde mr perfect nice guy guy ;P

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    :< that would be awkward ;P and which of the 2 guys u mean anyway? the feminine tennis guys or the blonde mr perfect nice guy guy ;P
    That should be rather obvious.