Fallout New Vegas. Good or Copy and Paste?

I been thinking about buying Fallout New Vegas for a few days now. I heard different things about the game like how it was riddled with Bugs, and was basically a Copy and Paste of Fallout 3. The similarities to Fallout 3 are not necessarily a bad thing, seeing how I really like Fallout 3, but still feels like a expensive Expansion pack.

So, it would help me a lot if someone who has played Fallout New Vegas can tell me their opinion of it.

Really, if you enjoyed spending hours upon hours exploring the wasteland, doing quests, and finding cool things, then it's basicly just more of that, except in a different setting.

There are new enemies, quests, landscapes, etc...

and there are SO MANY weapons to find. I was literally playing for 100 hours and was still finding new guns.

But yeah, it's basically more of the same, which isn't really a bad thing if you loved fallout 3.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

I played for a couple hours, got bored, took it out, and played something else. Haven't touched it since. I guess I think its just boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaline View Post
    BAH! we cannot intrust the Kingdom of stormwind to a priest! there are children in the city

Its a Copy and Paste of Fallout 3, which was a Elder Scrolls 4 reskin to begin with. Its a good game though. If you already own FO3, I'd say its not worth spending $60 on.
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

Deleted
    In my opinion, New Vegas is best described as being an 'expansion' pack of sorts. It is very much similiar to Fallout 3 in terms of its general gameplay [VATS and the sort] but also has some significant changes [character growth, magazines for temporary stat enhancements]. Like Treston323 says, if you already own Fallout 3 and the expansions but felt kinda lukewarm toward the game, you're better off keeping your money.

If however, like me, you really enjoyed Fallout 3 and want some 'new' content, its well worth the money. But hey, I'm an idiot who can't get enough of the Dynasty Warrior games even though its virtually the same thing plus one or two extra features [which is considerably worse than Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas] and buys them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuks View Post
    I played for a couple hours, got bored, took it out, and played something else. Haven't touched it since. I guess I think its just boring.
    I done the exact same thing, I would rather farm bg's on wow or something more interesting.
    Thankfully I didn't pay for it, so all is well :-D

I have played Fallout 3 and I would say it is a "Copy and Paste" with a little bit of tweaking ^_^

Deleted
    The storyline is 1000 times better than fallout 3 and the enviroment is better designed. Also the quests have more variety..

It really is a mix of copy and new game for the most part. The similarities to F3 are pretty much in the UI, the overarching storyline of the Fallout universe, and most of the gameplay mechanics. However, there are many smaller elements that make the game unique. Most of the factions are making their first appearance in this FPS/TPS form (like the NCR). While they may have been prominent in the earlier Fallouts, pretty much all factions sans the Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave were not in F3. There are also a ton of new quests and additional weapon designs that make it more than just a glorified expansion pack.

So, New Vegas takes many of the successful elements of F3, while adding enough to make it it's own game. However, if you were not a fan of the F3 system, then you probably won't enjoy New Vegas.
    The past is gone, now is all there is.

Enjoy reading reviews on video games and other fun stuff? Check out my site Updated when I have time!
    http://snipersedge.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    I been thinking about buying Fallout New Vegas for a few days now. I heard different things about the game like how it was riddled with Bugs, and was basically a Copy and Paste of Fallout 3. The similarities to Fallout 3 are not necessarily a bad thing, seeing how I really like Fallout 3, but still feels like a expensive Expansion pack.
    I personally haven't played it yet, but I have watched my girlfriend play it for a few several hours, and to be honest, it seems to be a copy-pasta of Fallout 3 with a few new NPC models. I definately was not at all impressed by the first one, because it lacked multiplayer, and after running through the same nuclear bomb shelter layout killing the same orc NPC's without getting a reward for doing so, I quickly got bored.

I don't plan on buying it, seems to be an expensive Expac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bear in mind this is just my personal opinion.

It is a very very good game, but it is a copy and paste. In a way it feels like you are back in Fallout 3 again. But honestly, this isn't such a bad thing. I see why people call it an expansion pack, but it's like another 100 hours + gameplay if you enjoyed fallout 3. New characters, new places, new missions, new factions.

The writing overall is better than Fallout 3, and slightly darker. I don't know if this is good or bad to you, but there is no "good" faction and "evil" faction. In F3 everything you did was good or evil. The choices you made were "save the people" or "let the people die for personal gain". It's very different in Vegas.

You must side with a faction, and each have their good qualities and bad qualities. Same with the quests, the outcome is rarely good or bad. Do you press the switch that saves the innocent people trapped in the vault or do you press the switch that kills them but gives power to the nearby farms to allow them to grow fresh crops, which in the long term saves more lives. Do you send power to the strip and help the rich areas of Vegas flourish further or do you send power to the smaller slums? Typical Obsidian and each choice is reflected in your ending, showing your affects on the world.

The only thing this game does worse than F3 is the radio. It's fine, but there is hardly any songs, although they are on the disc, so perhaps to be activated in DLC.

Glitches are a big problem with gamebreakers in there but they are being patched slowly. Overall it is a very good game in my opinion. If you liked Fallout 3, then this is better. But it is more of the same and when you first put it on you'll feel like its an expansion. But its a HUGE expansion. There is a full games worth of content here, no doubt about it.
    Last edited by Brittany; 2010-11-17 at 03:08 PM.

It is not the same as Fallout 2 to Fallout 1, for sure, but it's extremely fun. It's a lot rougher, darker, and devil-may-care in the way that Fallout 2 was - theres silly bits, funny bits, scratching-your-head-at-weirdness bits, and then theres even a trait you can get at the start - Weird Wasteland - that enables some really weird shit. Remember the extremely bizarre random encounters in F1/F2? Kinda like that.
    Holy Hand Grenades are in, along with a healthy dose of Monty Python and other comedy. Some encounters occur without the trait, some require it.

I'd say it has a very good story, and it's a lot more freeplay as far as the ending goes than FO3 was. You can pretty much do whatever you want.

I really hope they do extra content for it exploring more of the F1/F2 world. I'd love to visit the Glow again, or NCR.

[Edit - also, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pimp-Boy_3_Billion]
    Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2010-11-17 at 08:30 PM.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Its good and its copy and paste. I don't see this as a bad thing, given how awesome Fallout 3 is

its too big to simply be an expansion imo, but it is basically the same game with a different story/setting and a better companion system. the karma system is a bit better too.

its only really buggy on consoles, ive had very few issues on computer.

Deleted
    It's stupid how people whine here how it's copy paste when they would probably whine about changes if they had made any.

Na. A updated engine would have been fine. Even though its decent for todays standard, the same engine was used since 2006. With the same bugs and bad animations.
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

10+ Year Old Account
    Good copy/paste. Personally I don't like it. running around the desert is fun for 10 minutes. DC was SO much cooler.

Honestly though, it's impossible to make a sequel without some sort of copy/paste happening.
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2010-11-18 at 09:35 AM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

I loved FO3, I have the GOTY. Played 100 hours in it. Exactly 100, there were still some places I could have explored, but those didn't have any quests/fun stuff related to them.

I will get F:NV, but only the GOTY.