Poll: Would you play it

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Pokemon MMO

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They could also implement a talent system which could be really fun.

I voted maybe, because it would really have to be done right. Just thinking about it and reading through this thread you can see how things can be good and even bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread really reminds me of when My cousin and I were brainstorming for a game, waaaaay back when o.o

15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely.. as far as combat goes I figure you'd just be the trainer till a battle then you change views to the pokemon

I've been dreaming about a pokemon MMO for a long time.. My only concern these days is nintendo tries to add some kind of gimmick to everything..

10+ Year Old Account
    Until this thread, I honestly forgot about this franchise. I played it quite a bit, both the Gameboy and TCG in elementary school.

If there is anything holding a Pokemon MMO from taking off, it's the demographic. I don't think I've met anyone in their 20's or 30's (21 myself) who enjoys pokemon. I believe a driving force behind WoW and other Fantasy-based MMO's is that people from ages 20 - 50 grew up either playing Warcraft 2, or reading Lord of the Rings.

I don't think Pokemon would jive with enough people to make it work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a really interesting idea, I really like Pokemon when I was younger, I'd for sure try this out.
    Markro - Arthas US PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    Until this thread, I honestly forgot about this franchise. I played it quite a bit, both the Gameboy and TCG in elementary school.

If there is anything holding a Pokemon MMO from taking off, it's the demographic. I don't think I've met anyone in their 20's or 30's (21 myself) who enjoys pokemon. I believe a driving force behind WoW and other Fantasy-based MMO's is that people from ages 20 - 50 grew up either playing Warcraft 2, or reading Lord of the Rings.

I don't think Pokemon would jive with enough people to make it work.

italicized parts are pretty contradictory. You would also be surprised how many people in their 20s+ played and still play pokemon (guess you don't hang out with cool kids :P)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    italicized parts are pretty contradictory. You would also be surprised how many people in their 20s+ played and still play pokemon (guess you don't hang out with cool kids :P)
    On second thought, I can see your point. While typing that I was operating under the notion that fans of the Warcraft and Lord of the rings franchises carried on through their age. Where as I think Pokemon died for a lot of people by the time they hit Junior High.

I must not be hanging out with the cool kids, I guess =P

Deleted
    I support this idea, Pokemon mmo would be awesome! Though I might feel a bit emberrased for playing it lol

10+ Year Old Account
    No - because it's Pokemon. I'm old and never was into Pokemon. Now a Robotech MMO? Sure thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    On second thought, I can see your point. While typing that I was operating under the notion that fans of the Warcraft and Lord of the rings franchises carried on through their age. Where as I think Pokemon died for a lot of people by the time they hit Junior High.

I must not be hanging out with the cool kids, I guess =P
    eh i kept my love for the franchise and anime to but people in the south are mostly a bunch of idiots that dont know the difference between the two so being branded the pokemon kid was annoying but hey screw them aint gonna stop love what i like you shouldnt either.

hell ive got blacvk and white pre-ordered and will be waiting in line to get it. ^.^ oh im 19 btw

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

15+ Year Old Account
    I would play it, but only if they add Legendary Pokemon that were REALLY Legendary.
    Dawwwwwww

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bahumut5 View Post
    I would play it, but only if they add Legendary Pokemon that were REALLY Legendary.
    This is what bugs me. Some pokemon are considered unique. Think Mewtwo. How would this be implemented? Would everyone get a fair chance at obtaining one or would it be limited to one player. If it would be, how would you complete a pokedex if this was a goal in the game (which it damn well should be)

As for the combat: Screen fades, music starts and true to a JRPG you enter a zone that resembles your area. No TBS though, the pokemon are living beings and to a certain degree sentient. So I think the pokemon will use basic attacks against each other (tackle, scratch, block etc) and the trainers can order special attacks via a action bar. Also the trainer can move around the battlefield a bit to make it look more dynamic. Getting too close would forfeit the match. PvP servers can have Team Rocket type players that just attack other players. (PvE is limited to a dueling system)

Damn.... imagine the ranking boards on the official site... I can go on for ever...

One last thing. Don't make it too kiddy, I was a teenager when playing it and found it all too soft. Giant flying lizards that only get slightly scratched? Gimme more gore!!!!
    For the Emperor.

probably not. I never got into Pokemon. Being when it got popular, I was too old for it I think, not saying that older people don't like it, I was just doing other things and Pokemon held no interest for me. I watched one cartoon with my ex gf son, and was pretty much wtf the whole time. lol. Tried the card game, Meh too.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

Maybe if there were only 150 pokemons.

im still wondering why there isnt a pokemon mmo yet. people have wanted 1 for over what 7 years now? longer?

Deleted
    It would be the best thing ever happened in the history of MMO's

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soyuz View Post
    One last thing. Don't make it too kiddy, I was a teenager when playing it and found it all too soft. Giant flying lizards that only get slightly scratched? Gimme more gore!!!!
    Actually, the original episodes contained blood, and in the game, your pokemon COULD die if they fainted too much.
    However, that was changed when Nintendo bought the idea :P

As for Legendaries: I think they should just make Legendary "Legendary" in the same way as the original idea behind Zapdos and all was. Just a bird that has special powers and that only exists in certain places. About 50 of them around or something if I remember correctly.
    Mewtwo would be a different case of course, but I think that can be retconned around a bit that its cellular structure was cloned when he was created. Or maybe he found a cute Mew to hang around with?
    Regardless: Legendary just has to mean Limited unless you are really grindy and stuff (Think: Ashes of Al'ar like).

Also: The objective should not be "Catch them all", but more like: "Try to fill your dex as much as possible, and battle around with others".
    Dawwwwwww

I'd be all for a Pokemon MMO, some questions to think about though.

How would group PvE content work?
    How would items work in a battle?
    How would stat buffing/debuffing attacks come in play?
    How would attacking moves in general be handled?
    How would stat effects be handled?
    How would switching in battle work?

I could keep going on, what do you guys think about these questions?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bahumut5 View Post
    Actually, the original episodes contained blood, and in the game, your pokemon COULD die if they fainted too much.
    However, that was changed when Nintendo bought the idea :P

As for Legendaries: I think they should just make Legendary "Legendary" in the same way as the original idea behind Zapdos and all was. Just a bird that has special powers and that only exists in certain places. About 50 of them around or something if I remember correctly.
    Mewtwo would be a different case of course, but I think that can be retconned around a bit that its cellular structure was cloned when he was created. Or maybe he found a cute Mew to hang around with?
    Regardless: Legendary just has to mean Limited unless you are really grindy and stuff (Think: Ashes of Al'ar like).

Also: The objective should not be "Catch them all", but more like: "Try to fill your dex as much as possible, and battle around with others".
    Supposedly the uncut Pokemon episodes (originals) have some pretty typical Japanese humor and content.. A guy sticking a gun in Ash's face, James having giant inflated boobs, etc.

Oh Japan, it must be a wonderland of perversion and plush toys.