Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why Was WOTLK Arena A Better Experience Than Tbc, Blizzard Deserves More Credit

I felt like doing a random post once in a while. If you are not interested in a decent wall of text, don't click the link.

http://hydramist.net/blog/wotlk-is-better-than-tbc/

Thank you for your attention

My first character got to level 70 in 2.0 before the launch of TBC.
    uhm... what?
    i stopped reading there
    ››yeah, here used to be a signature once. I've must lost it somewhere in the twisting nether... still waiting for the mail from the postmaster.

Hydra is one of the best priests in the game. Well respected and always top contender each season. So i believe him when he says that blizzard does listen to the community, But here's why almost everyone agrees that vanilla was better than anything

It's cause the game hadn't been scientifically picked apart and the emergence of the 'competitive' gamer emerged, This is something that exists in other games and it started in TBC with WoW. These gamers will learn and exploit the deep extremities of the game, those of us who don't really care too much about that are probably gonna lose to these players all the time. Arena brought that out and of course, made wow famous into an E-Sport. But those fun vanilla days are gone cause well, the game is a professional e-sport now.

And unfortunately it will never return. That's why pvp on new mmo's is fun cause nobody truly understands the game yet, and how things work right down to the base mechanics. Cata pvp wont fix this, it can never be fixed, we're in an era of professional gaming now. If exploring the games mechanics and figuring out how to make the most of what your character can do is not your thing, then sadly your going to be left behind.

Edit: I'd also like to add that Rated Bg's arent the answer either. "Competitive" bg's simply means that these competitive gamer types are just going to flood the BG ranks and master and exploit every single knook of every single map and strat that can exist. They will figure out which comps are best on which maps and they will figure out how best to pick apart every situation that requires a battle, and set the standard for other players to follow.

Though you can still probably get the last reminiscence of wow vanilla pvp in unrated bg's.
    Last edited by Xeikai; 2010-11-17 at 12:25 PM.

Probably a typo with the 70.

Anyway, I agree for the most part. Just compare hydra videos from tbc to wotlk, or any other players.
    In S4 faking was something that almost nobody did, focuskicks were godlike and reserved to the neilyos of the world, backpedaling and partially even clicking were ok.

@xeikai: I don't agree. I like it when the mechanics are known, when you can triumph by understanding and skill.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by K4ge View Post
    Probably a typo with the 70.

Anyway, I agree for the most part. Just compare hydra videos from tbc to wotlk, or any other players.
    In S4 faking was something that almost nobody did, focuskicks were godlike and reserved to the neilyos of the world, backpedaling and partially even clicking were ok.

@xeikai: I don't agree. I like it when the mechanics are known, when you can triumph by understanding and skill.
    Yeah, that's all good. You like a bit of competitiveness as well. But there are players out there who claim they love 'The chaos' of battle. basically just flying by the seat of your pants. Which is argueable true in terms of being fun, cause well, these games tend to be more wet and wild. But i have to agree, winning cause you totally outplayed your opponent is a very satisfying victory.

WoTLK was not a better arena experience than TBC, get over it.
    "Next-Gen" is only a marketing label and not an actual advancement in the Graphics side of games, so quit fooling yourself.

I prefered Wotlk because of the mobility every class was given in this expansion, I play warrior now in wotlk. In tbc I played hunter and would probably never have rerolled a warrior if I was given the opportunity too.
    I'm sorry, but people saying "wotlk is faceroll" and etc, I've never really seen any good valid arguements from you. I feel that in tbc you were limited down so much compared to wotlk's many spells you could chose to use in various situations.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterToast View Post
    WoTLK was not a better arena experience than TBC, get over it.
    Depends on what you mean. Wotlk much more classes, specs and comps were viable.
    The pace of the game (not just damage/healing) has massively increased and thus forced players to be a lot better
    MMR kept players frmo being farmed by r1 people that made new teams (s4 I was at 1797 and then got -16 from a rank1 team)

I think most people would agree with this after reading that blog.

the ONLY players i see that thought TBC pvp/arena was better were some hardcore/pro players, mostly people who played healers or resto druid. there seems to be a really big disagreement between some who swear by TBC pvp, and the rest which i would say is a vast majority that it sucked.

i HATED it. but i was mainly BG'ing and BG's were completely broke. nobody could kill the resto druids, and they'd stand there taunting people at a tower or whatever emoting, or have like 8 people chasing them, half of which would give up. even then getting all my mana drained with no counter since the expectation was pillar blocking(Blizzards balance ignorance completely centered around Arena) where pvp outside of Arena didn't have that type of LOS, and the only option was to turn away anytime there was a priest around. TBC was the most broken state of pvp i've ever played. there is/was just no excuse for the power or resto druids between s2-4, they were half the problem, and all of the 'pro's' rerolled them.

wotlk pvp on the other hand got too much criticism. sure it was very gibb, but nobody was so out of wacked it was ridiculously stupid. one of the few periods where things didn't drag, everyone could die, and the only big issue was people died too fast espeically if they were getting focused by mutliples.

If you had two competent people on a resto druid he would die.
    I just miss tbc on my rogue, because 20/0/41 was the mist fun I ever had

If you had two competent people on a resto druid he would die.
    I just miss tbc on my rogue, because 20/0/41 was the mist fun I ever had

you mean Arena geared, and even then it would generally have to be casters since most melee would end up kited. rogues were the only class that had good chances to get them down due to stunlocks, they could shift and heal on the run vs anyone/everyone else.

i had a much better chance on my undergeared rogue than my mage, and i believe thats when shs spec was popular.

either way i don't think what you said was universally true whatsoever...only MAYBE in an Arena match.

mage I'll agree, but also something like warrior/lock or warrior/rogue or rogue/shadow would suffice. And yes, I mean arena geared. I don't think two green geared scrubs should be able to kill a full s4 restodruid if he does nothing except run

mage I'll agree, but also something like warrior/lock or warrior/rogue or rogue/shadow would suffice. And yes, I mean arena geared. I don't think two green geared scrubs should be able to kill a full s4 restodruid if he does nothing except run

well the gear gaps were vast between the 2. its why Arena geared resto druids were almost unkillable in BG settings. all most resto druids did was run and heal, shift, roots, run and heal, etc. their hots were way too powerful and had no cast time weakness/necessity, along with being unsnarable/cc'able more or less. a resto druid in the hands of a good player was ridiculous at the time.

but almost every serious Arena team rerolled them. i know Serenna, think that pro hunter whatshisname? think he's european, and i know a lot of other top players ended up rerolling resto druids for their comps. in fact they and priest were the only healers any comps even ran with if i remember right, except i think zilea was the only one still trying to heal as a pally.
    Last edited by Spurmwhale; 2010-11-17 at 07:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a warlock, I couldn't arena in BC, for 2 reasons.
    1) SL/SL was boring as hell. Dot them up and Drain Life.
    2) Even when I got high ranked, it meant nothing because I was SL/SL.

In Wotlk, I wouldn't arena because:
    1) I dislike dying in less than 3 seconds.
    5) Even when I was high ranked, it meant nothing because I was a Priest on a RMP team.

So, imo, both sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeikai View Post
    Hydra is one of the best priests in the game. Well respected and always top contender each season. So i believe him when he says that blizzard does listen to the community, But here's why almost everyone agrees that vanilla was better than anything
    You do realize you are part of a minority right? Very few believe that, they are just the most vocal ones. Vanilla... sucked... balls...

---------- Post added 2010-11-17 at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    As a warlock, I couldn't arena in BC, for 2 reasons.
    1) SL/SL was boring as hell. Dot them up and Drain Life.
    2) Even when I got high ranked, it meant nothing because I was SL/SL.

In Wotlk, I wouldn't arena because:
    1) I dislike dying in less than 3 seconds.
    5) Even when I was high ranked, it meant nothing because I was a Priest on a RMP team.

So, imo, both sucked.
    RMP was the only viable skill-based comp so dont feel bad about that. Every other high end viable comp was a mindless zerg comp (beast cleave, TSG, turtle cleave, wizard cleave)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post

RMP was the only viable skill-based comp so dont feel bad about that. Every other high end viable comp was a mindless zerg comp (beast cleave, TSG, turtle cleave, wizard cleave)
    eh, didn't feel like skill running over everyone =\

Deleted
    Well i hate arena but i give you my opinion anyway. No wotlk was not better than tbc.Wotlkpvp= enter bg get stuned and killed befor you can break free of stun as long as you didnt have decent pvp gear warriors was totally worthless in some time totally unbalanced no aruge about that.wotlk pve Totally faceroll exept uluaar and icc for a short time.but still i hated arena for that entire time its just not my thing.still wotlk had its bright momments like the questing and the lfg system even tho ppl acts like retards i dont take an hour to find a group at low lvl anymore that just my opinion

Well if you were just mindlessly zerging things to 2200 then i guess not, but most battlegroups require more then that from an RMP to get to 2400 or so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

As rmp? What rating did you play on, 1200?

About from 2300 onward rmp needs a ridiculous amount of coordination to land kills. Add to that, that every player on the team is gibbable, only one spammable cc and the possibility of going 3dps effectively and you have one of the most skill based comps out there