• Horde

47 45.19%
  • Alliance

33 31.73%
  • Equal

24 23.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Lets divide this shall we.

NOTE: This is mostly Pre-WoW information, since we can't really compare quest quality between Horde and Alliance in WoW. That would be a tiresome and impossible task.

The Horde

Orcs
    The strongest of the "five" in terms of lore and character importance. The "Old Horde," the slaughtering of the Draenei, the First War, the Second War, lethargy, the rise of Thrall, exodus to Kalimdor, the fight against the burning Legion, the founding of Durotar, WoW. A plethora of notable characters like Ner'zul, Gul'dan, Orgrim Doomhammer, Durotan, Thrall, Broxigar and other with detailed history and memorable storylines. Absolutely essential for defining Warcraft's unique fantasy feel.

Tauren
    Introduced in Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos, the Tauren haven't really excelled in some "lore-rich" race, apart from several appearances in Horde related novels, and characters of great importance like Cairne and his son Baine Bloodhoof.

Trolls
    A vast (mostly undocumented) lore spanning from the Rise and Fall of the Amani Empire, to the partnership in blood with the Orcs in the Second War, the Trolls have been featured through their powerful and cunning leaders (Zul'jin, Vol'Jin, etc) and have also served as a "supporting race" in the shaping of the Horde's lore.

Blood Elves
    The former Highborne, banished form their homeland, have a rich detailed history, starting with their first settlements on the far shores of Azeroth (after the great Sundering), the creation of the Sunwell, the first contacts with the younger races (the Humans of the ancient Kingdom of Arathor), their early teachings of Magic, the Alliance with Men and Dwarfs against the Horde in the Second War, the destruction of Quel'Thalas by Prince Arthas Menethil and the Scourge, their re-emergence as the Blood Elves, the trip to Outland and WoW. Lots of supporting and main lore characters such as Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider, his father Aestherian, the sisters Winderunner, and others who helped either the Alliance or the Horde in one manner or another.

Forsaken
    Former servants of the Lich King, their lore is tied to that of the corpsefied citizens of Lordaeron now under the rule of their Queen, Sylvanass Windrunner. Apart from a campaign in Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne that featured the creation of Syvalansses new kingdom, up till WoW, the Forskane to not really thrive on lore or many significant characters (perhaps maybe, Varimathras but he and his brothers were part of the Burning Legion).

The Alliance

Humans
    The Horde equivalent in the Warcraft universe. Similar to the Horde's own beginnings, the Humans have a rich lore and many notable characters that are recognizable even outside Blizzard's own games. The rise and fall (and rise) of Stormwind, Kharazan, the Second War, beyond the Dark Portal, the Third War, the battle against the Burning Legion, Old Hatreds, and WoW. Each human character, starting from Lothar, Khadgar, Tyrailon, Medivh, Prince Arthas, Kel'Thuzard, Uther, and many, many others have brought the other side of the coin, the "righteous, yet easily deceived" nobles who have lost much but gained little in their own definition of history."

Night Elves
    One of the oldest, the wisest, and most prominent (newer) race to the Warcraft universe, the Night Elves or Kaldorei have been the main protagonists in many stories and novels, ranging from the War of the Ancients, to the return of the Burning Legion. Their heroes and villains like the brother's Stormrage, Tyrande Wisperwind, Maiev Shadowsong, and others have pulled the strings in major, lore changing events.

Dwarfs
    Similar to the Trolls in terms of significance, the secluded yet always present Dwarfs have flourished in terms of lore and storytelling in recent WoW history, yet little was known apart from their War of the Three hammers and their kingdoms in the Warcraft universe.

Draenei
    The "youngest" race to join the Alliance, plays a significant role in WoW, though it has a lesser impact on the Warcraft universe before it. Not many stories and novels have surfaced with Draenei as a notable character, though there are experts and books that take place around some of the conflicts the Draenei have been part of.

Gnomes
    WoW- related mostly.

----------------

So, the verdict:
    The Horde in terms of characters, better history and more violent past/corruption.
    The Alliance in terms of sheer content and characters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Alliance has the most complex and overwhelming Lore that shaped Azeroth to what it is and has provided the Horde with 2 races ( the Blood Elves - who are former High Elves of the Alliance and the Forsaken - resurrected Alliance soldiers ).

More so some of the strongest villains were at one time or another part of the Alliance and we've had quite a few run-ins with them.

I do not dispute that Horde has some interesting bits and pieces of Lore but they are nowhere near as influential as what the Alliance Lore.

Whoever voted Horde must of not played the previous games or read up the books and comics surrounding the Warcraft universe.
    Not really. Play Warcraft 2 and you'll meet a guy called Ner'zhul who is the lore monstrosity known as Lich King. Yeah, he might be called arthas by many, but arthas was just a host. Pretty much anything regarding scourge comes from Ner'zhul, IE ORC lore.

And it's hardly like blood elfs and forsaken count as alliance lore, both are horde races.

EDIT: That said, on a faction basis, I'd say night elves faceroll the others, everything with war of the ancients and that junk. Still, the other races in alliance brings it down compared to the horde where most races bring huge peices of lore.
    Last edited by mmocfb462d8891; 2011-02-18 at 02:52 PM.

Horde in my eyes has far greater lore than Alliance, simply because its more Warcraft-like lore

Horde would not exist without Alliance and Alliance would not exist without Horde. Equal.

Deleted
    Gnomes have zero lore, dwarves, worgen and draenei not far behind. Orcs, trolls, tauren, goblins, blood elves and forsaken all have plenty.

I main horde, and I'd be completely bias to say that the alliance lore wasn't more rich and awesome than horde.

However I always like the good guys in any game I played, however my friends played horde so I had no choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sagan-man View Post
    Gnomes have zero lore, dwarves, worgen and draenei not far behind. Orcs, trolls, tauren, goblins, blood elves and forsaken all have plenty.
    Do go and read WoWpedia for a while about their races and so on forth. Plenty of info on dwarves, worgen and draenei. Gnomes not so much really. Blood elves I wouldn't really count in this poll for either factions since they we're originally night elves, being still a part of the Alliance for a while after the Scourge destroyed Quel'thalas.
    I really enjoyed reading the Shattering and have been thinking hard to buy day/night of the dragon or Rise of the Horde next.
    Still picked Alliance for the sheer amount of lore that the Night Elves have, combined with the rest. Horde is not far behind though. =)

I voted equal.

I love the lore from both sides. Whether is Thralls birth, capture and enslavement, escape, rise to Warchief and now a prominent member of the Earthen Ring; or Malfurion's ascension from the first common day Druid to Archdruid of Azeroth.

But, GtmH, I would probably pick Alliance. My favorite race is the Night Elves, and I also love the Paladin and Druid classes.

Horde!!

And Hellscream is a great warchief --> "honor....no matter how dire the battle is,never forsake it",and before you start flaming me,I suggest all who disagree to do the Krom'Gar chain quest in Stonetalon Mountains(horde side)...also the trisfal glades beginning event is another great example to understand his decisions,principles etc!

I voted equal. Horde are badasses but the Alliance has a respectable quality to it with honorable figures such as Anduin Lothar and Turalyon (Sorry for the spelling mistakes).

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread was necro'd. The poll result would have been super tainted since half of the voters wouldn't have seen the Cataclysm lore for their faction.

Locked.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines