Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help! Weird intermediate hitch while gaming on new rig

Hey guys,

Just built my new rig about a week ago. I've been getting these weird micro-hitches even though its not an SLI setup, and I can't figure out why. I've tried everything.

My temps were a little high so I got liquid cooling and redid the build which cut my temps by 15 degrees but I still see the hitches. (I idle at about 33-35c and under normal load (wow+browsers and such) I hardly break 40c).

I tested the memory for 8 hours, 0 errrors so that doesnt seem to be it either. CPU isnt throttling either, have watched it countless times.

I'm running it all on a 650w corsair psu, and from what I can tell its working fine as well, the only thing I can think it could be is the video card- GTX 460 1GB EE oc'd FTW.

I've tried numerous different drivers doing sweeps and everything the right way, and still hitches! I also have a weird thing with some of the drivers where my 2nd monitor is not recognized, or rather it doesnt display (nvida control panel + windows see its there, no freaking clue what this could be). I popped in my old gtx 260 and got the same hitching, also switched pci slots to see if that was the problem but no change.

Anyone have any ideas? Could the mobo be slightly faulty? Trying to figure this out before my RMA period goes up (couple weeks from now). I havent tried a redo of windows install, another thing worth mentioning is I'm running a SSD but I've benched it and got no errors, not sure if it could be at fault as well but I sorta question that as I've ran games off my other hard drive (raptor) and I still get the same micro-hitch problem.

I'm completely stumped! Help!!! haha

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I'd say your next step would be to try a reinstall of Windows, that you said you haven't done yet.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    what are 'micro-hitches'? we can guess, but without describing what the computer is doing we are at a loss
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2010-11-22 at 10:10 PM.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

basically, in games when I run forward/strafe if I watch closely I can see it basically skip a frame, which seems to coincide with a slight 1-2 frame drop intermittently, not like a lockup just a hiccup where its not super smooth.

I tried both cards individually as I'm not running SLI or the 260 as a Physx or anything.

try resetting the config.txt file in the WTF folder.

done the config.txt stuff out the ying yang, which was what prompted me to check if the hitch happens outside of wow and it does (even in witcher which I think this new rig should have 0 issues with)

15+ Year Old Account
    Does it do it in other games too? Or is it just WoW related?

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you checked your background processes to see what's running? It's possible that with your graphic driver installation, Folding@Home installed and is running. That's been known to cause these hitches.

its consistent across all games, I'm about to try a redo of the windows install (was fresh on a brand new SSD for this go round) as thats about all I have left to try

---------- Post added 2010-11-22 at 03:45 PM ----------

What should I look for process wise for folding? not familiar with it

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe the process name for Folding@Home is just folding.exe.

ah, then nope no folding running =/

15+ Year Old Account
    It could also be running as a service. Be sure to check there as well.

If you wish, feel free to post a process list. A few in the forum might be able to pick out some trouble processes. Might save you that OS re-install.

how do i go about getting the list out of task manager ?

15+ Year Old Account
    By the way do you have vsync enabled?

I've tried both on and off, doesn't seem to effect it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beenjammin120 View Post
    how do i go about getting the list out of task manager ?
    I'd probably just expand the taskmgr window, snap a screenshot, crop it in paint, and post it here (thumbnail, please).

Theres the processes, sorry if its too big wasnt sure how to thumbnail it

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have more than one ram stick try to put one in at a time and see if it does it with the selected ram sticks.
    Also, I hate to mention this cause I take it you already have, but have you defragged all the way and stuff? (sorry hate to ask cause I'm sure you have)
    Last edited by Aalamar; 2010-11-22 at 09:23 PM.

the ram thing worth trying even though I ran memtest overnight for 8 hours with 0 errors?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beenjammin120 View Post
    the ram thing worth trying even though I ran memtest overnight for 8 hours with 0 errors?
    Doubtful. An overnight memtest run will usually find any problems with your RAM.

From your process list, there's not much you could eliminate. Try killing acrotray.exe and shutting down AVG (just temporarily). I don't think either would be a problem, but you never know.