Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    download the trial version of fraps and see if you can get it to happen, then upload that video to youtube and post here =)

if you have a higher quality capture device then use that, as iirc the fraps trial is pretty low quality
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

is there any chance its a faulty processor? I ran a few prime95s a week or so ago (before I fixed my voltages and cooling situation) and the temps would shoot up way fast, even got to 100 once (i shut it down after about 20 seconds at this temp) could I have damaged it? I thought that chips would shut down before they got to damage temps so I sorta ruled this possibility out but now i am not so sure

With your setup I would highly doubt that 650w PSU is sufficient. I had a similar issue and upgrading my PSU to a newer 850w Corsair made a huge difference on performance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishypants View Post
    With your setup I would highly doubt that 650w PSU is sufficient. I had a similar issue and upgrading my PSU to a newer 850w Corsair made a huge difference on performance.
    The OP's setup hasn't even been made public. All we know is that he has a single GTX 460. Unless he has a mass amount of peripherals or a junk PSU, 650W is plenty.

OP: The potential of CPU damage is there, but usually modern CPUs will throttle themselves before they suffer any damage.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2010-11-22 at 10:05 PM.

The Rig:

Core i7-950
    GTX 460 1gb EE oc'd FTW
    1 cd/rw
    1 128gb crucial SSD
    1 69 gb raptor hd
    1 450 gb junk low rpm hd

pretty sure 650 was enough, I've tried taking a hardrive or two at a time out of the equation and it made no difference

15+ Year Old Account
    see my fraps comment above.

without actually seeing this thing in action it's hard to deduce if it's actually a problem, or just the computer hiccuping inevitably.

for example, i will lag for a quarter second if im facing north dal bank and suddenly turn around to run towards the well, but this usually only happens when i first log in and havent loaded all the people around me (seems like i have, then ill turn around and it will just skip a frame or two and then be fine)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe the hitching the OP mentions is a stutter every 1-2 seconds. I had it myself when I had Folding@Home running in the background.

10+ Year Old Account
    This could also be due to New or Old Nvidia drivers. If you can, check the site and see if anyone is having an issue or any known issues with the current drivers if those are freshly updated. If not, and you installed the drivers from the CD, I would update them from the site. You may even just need to completely uninstall the cards and re-install them.

Do you by chance have the Temp reading for your cards/CPU?

I've got the 260.99's right now, I've tried various different ones from old to beta ones of guru3d, issue is same across the board. I am however remembering now when I put my old 260 in nvidia pointed to the same 260.99's for it as well and the issue was there, but I'm not sure if thats it because it happened in older driver versions with the 460 (158.96 and the like - this one came on the cd with the card and has the multiple display issue I mentioned I get with some drivers for it!)

Temps wise:
    CPU idle: 33-35 celcius
    CPU load: 39-45 celcius (not 100% load just normal- I'll never hit 100% load)

GPU idle: 40
    GPU load: max 60-65 so far that I've seen

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Doubtful. An overnight memtest run will usually find any problems with your RAM.

From your process list, there's not much you could eliminate. Try killing acrotray.exe and shutting down AVG (just temporarily). I don't think either would be a problem, but you never know.
    Better yet, ditch AVG entirely in favour of MSSE. :3

Edit: What is the Amperage and # of 12v rails on your PSU? It might have enough sustained power, but there's a chance it doesn't have enough 'omph'. I had countless problems with my system before I realized my quad rail SilverStone + HD 4870 = system instability due to each rail being only 12-18Amps. The video card wasn't getting enough 'omph' and would artifact, freeze, and hitch all the time. No issues at all when I switched it out for a Corsair with a single 62Amp 12v rail.
    Last edited by Asera; 2010-11-23 at 01:51 PM.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you checked your DPC latency?

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If so. Try downgrading drivers to 258.xx or 259.xx and see if it solves it.