Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Assassination spec - Mastery or Haste?

Simple question. Need to know whether to reforge mastery or haste now that poisons is so much of my damage

Haste is worth the most, you reforge mastery if you can't reforge haste.

Deleted
    Get yourself onto the Dummies, Reforge all your stats to haste & chop away for 5 minutes using your standard rotation.
    Then Reforge all your stats to Mastery and repeat the process, then you have proof in your own mind on what your doing is correct.

This may cost a few gold, but atleast youd be safe in the knowledge your doing a good job!

I wouldn't worry about reforging till you've hit 85 and have the gear. By then there should be a spreadsheet.

Deleted
    Mastery and haste now seem to be performing roughly the same - I tried both haste over mastery then mastery over haste and each time was clocking around the same DPS. Obviously this isn't very scientific and one will no doubt prove better than the other but at least anecdotally the difference seems minimal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrelime View Post
    Haste is worth the most, you reforge mastery if you can't reforge haste.
    This. Pretty much.. you will probebly reforge 90-100% of your gear.

Deleted
    For now, you can still reforge crit into hit to get the hitcap and then haste over mastery...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Misura View Post
    Get yourself onto the Dummies, Reforge all your stats to haste & chop away for 5 minutes using your standard rotation.
    Then Reforge all your stats to Mastery and repeat the process, then you have proof in your own mind on what your doing is correct.

This may cost a few gold, but atleast youd be safe in the knowledge your doing a good job!
    You look at Misura and cover your face with your palm.

This doesn't give accurate results in no way, you dont raid buffs, dummy lacks debuffs, you cant utilize Murderous Intent, just horrible advice.

Wait for mathgeeks to come up with EP values for each stat, until then, do as you like.

I don't think mathgeeks are going to anwser this question soon. Until that happend, I don't see any problem trying to make an aproximated guess based on anecdotal references and some logical analisys.
    Thugful, Orc rogue. US-Azralon.

Dude theres nothing wrong with working on the dummies to get an idea for which is working better... spreadsheets are gonna be a while in coming, but in a short while there will be some posts giving basic idea which is best stat if you want to wait.

---------- Post added 2010-11-24 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maick View Post
    You look at Misura and cover your face with your palm.

This doesn't give accurate results in no way, you dont raid buffs, dummy lacks debuffs, you cant utilize Murderous Intent, just horrible advice.

Wait for mathgeeks to come up with EP values for each stat, until then, do as you like.
    Maick is one of those rogues who cant tie his shoe laces without a spreadsheet explaining it too him ... you should hide your face in ur the palm of your hand Maick out of embarresment

I see what both of you are saying. In the end i came to the conclusion that no one is going to go through the trouble of updating a spreadsheet when there is two weeks left for it to matter. I actually did the dummy with some minor buffs. I had a frost DK, a pally buff, a flask, then a feral druid was there but i dont know if he counted cause he was lower level. But i tried both and Mastery did more every time. By at least 200 DPS

Deleted
    Since mastery is buffed as well for this patch, mastery is quite a strong stat now with increased damage from DP and venomous wounds, so I think that mastery's value have increased with quite a bit. Not sure about how much it increased and if it passed haste.

I did however try and reforge as much as possible into mastery instead of haste to try some stuff.
    And even with full mastery reforging I'm at about 25.5% haste unbuffed and 68% mastery or so and I'm going to be running with mastery as my highest prioritized secondary stat.
    The damage over short is a lot higher for obvious reasons when envenom is critting for around 25k completely unbuffed.
    I'm wondering however how the energy regeneration is going to look etc in raids and if the uptime on stuff will suffer in any way, the IP procs will no doubt be less now. Although I wonder if the increased damage will outworth it.

At least checking from how it looked on dummies IP has never been so far ahead of melee and the other sources of damage as it was now after reforging mastery. Going to be interesting to see if it'll be worth keeping or I'll be off to reforge back to haste after the first few bosses

Especially looking at the EJ estimated EP's for 4.0.1 for assassination Haste was 2.2 and Mastery at 1.9, so they weren't even that far apart so it's fully possible
    Last edited by mmoc898f6b28e8; 2010-11-24 at 04:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait for Mathgeeks. You're the kind of people that still, to this day make me sick.
    Try it and see, that's the best advice. Looks like you took that advice too. I wouldn't spend too much money or time on planning though Lithios. Because of Cat dropping in a week or two. But get a good idea now.
    And no, Don't wait for Mathgeeks to come out with a spreadsheet. By then, everybody will be playing a different game.

Made by Ariyana!

Mastery > Haste since the changes with 4.0.3a :P
    An Karanir Thanagor, Mor Ok Angalor, Mor Ok Gorum Palahm Raval!

Quote Originally Posted by Misura View Post

NO DO NOT DO THIS. Using target dummies or raids is never a good indication of how you should gear. There are too many variables involved.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelime View Post
    NO DO NOT DO THIS. Using target dummies or raids is never a good indication of how you should gear. There are too many variables involved.
    haha... do nothing until every1 is level 85 and they once again produce spreadsheets...

too funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Minka View Post
    Mastery > Haste since the changes with 4.0.3a :P
    Do you have a source for this? The ep values at ej show haste at 2.2 and mastery at 1.9 and I believe this was pre the change to mastery, so it is possible that it is better but I want to see where you found your information.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sabrelime, So you walk into a bar at 85 in level 80 gear. Asking for Spreadsheets on how to gear? Now that you're so far behind. You will be instantly votekicked for lack of DPS.
    You're going to have to get with the program dog, and stop waiting for people to come up with "SPREADSHEETS." How about you pew pew, and check yourself?

Made by Ariyana!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbojonno View Post
    haha... do nothing until every1 is level 85 and they once again produce spreadsheets...

too funny...
    Using dummies for stats that are very close is a horrible to find which is better. You need seriously rethink your stance on this if you think your going to find out which is better purely in this matter when you have to worry about the noise of crit rating and the fact you are not fully buffed.

---------- Post added 2010-11-24 at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tamato View Post
    Sabrelime, So you walk into a bar at 85 in level 80 gear. Asking for Spreadsheets on how to gear? Now that you're so far behind. You will be instantly votekicked for lack of DPS.
    You're going to have to get with the program dog, and stop waiting for people to come up with "SPREADSHEETS." How about you pew pew, and check yourself?
    They have already figured out the ep values at level 85 you basically just gem straight agility. Every other stat loses immense value. I'm just saying that using a dummy is not going to net you any RELIABLE information. They already have a level 85 spreadsheet anyway and you can use custom ep values for it.

If mastery and haste were much farther away in ep value you may be able to test it with non-reliable methods but this is not the case and they are very close together.

I don't know why you think I'm behind in information. There have been plenty of times I have geared without using a spreadsheet when there wasn't one available for the weapon swap specs, for example. Being in an extremely high end guild basically necessitate that I know how to gear and gem already, anyway. I don't think I'm going to sit in my guild and go HERP DERP HERP DERP HOWS DO I GEM GAIZZZ?
    Last edited by sabrelime; 2010-11-24 at 04:54 PM.