Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Males playing female characters.

Okay, first thing is first. I do not wish for this to become a flame war, or is anything in my post to be taken negatively. I only wish to understand and to see what other peoples thoughts about it are.
    So, I'm sure many people have noticed that there are many males who tend to play female characters. Some have only one female but many male characters some have only female characters.
    What I wish to know... is why? I have heard many reasons. The most common is more or less "If you have to look at the butt of a character all day, why not have it be a woman?" I however disagree, as in Warcraft I find myself rarely actually looking at my character and even if I was 80% of the time there is a giant cloak in the way.

So, why do it? If you find it more enjoyable for whatever reason I can understand. Some people play games differently. The other question I had was, do you play females in every game? Or just WoW, or just 3rd person games? I have a male friend who plays a female in any game that allows him to choose. Even his Xbox live Avatar is a female. And no, even though I don't personally believe this would be a factor, he is not homosexual.
    I also would like to point out, from personal experience anyway, I have not found a woman who plays games (who is confirmed to be a woman) that plays male characters. So it seems only males play as the opposite sex in video games.

If you do not play as the opposite sex in video games, (so males playing males, females playing females) what are your thoughts on the people who do play as the opposite sex? Please though, try not to be negative.

I am a male, and I play males in almost every game. The only females I have played was in Oblivion, because I remember there was a quest that seemed as if it would change if you were a woman. I tested it and sure enough I was right. In Fallout three my third character was a woman, I took the Black Widow perk to see how conversations would play out. And on Warcraft my hunter was originally a woman. A female draenei. I did not like the males that could be hunters on the alliance. I didn't care for night elf, draenei, or dwarf males. So I made it a female. Once the shattering hit I changed her to a male human hunter.

This thread again...

/signed, male playing female character because I don't really care either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nightelf female > nightelf male
    Bloodelf female > bloodelf male

those two for obv reasons

Draenei female > Draenei male. he looks like a chunk of something wierd... its ugly as hell

the rest is kay.

I play both, depending on race/class combo. I choose based on animations, looks, whatever. It's just a game.

gear looks better on females imo

Deleted
    My character is not an extension of myself, it's a fictional character in a video game. So it doesn't have to be male. You wouldn't refuse to play Bayonetta because the protagonist is female, right? I just pick whatever i want to play as.

I myself only create male characters, because I find almost all the female ones too look either extremely bland or just plain ugly.

I also have a friend who only has female alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardonic View Post
    I play both, depending on race/class combo. I choose based on animations, looks, whatever. It's just a game.
    This, some races/gender fit well with one another. Some people believe in trying to make your character a lot like you. Some go the other way and believe that they should make a character the complete opposite of them, and in the person's case, the opposite gender.

15+ Year Old Account
    I play what looks best for me. I like RP and in this case Night Elf Females looks best

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardonic View Post
    This, and I have an OCD'ish with characters. I need a male and female of a race with a different combination.
    And Undead Female rogues look awesome with their finishers than males, as do Female Blood elves look better with casting animations than males.
    I like to change my sig A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindaika View Post
    If Goblins were from Jersey, they wouldn't live in Orgimmar. They'd live in Crossroads and commute to Org via bridges and tunnels, and then complain about the Kodo traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    ... Why trolls? Because we regenerate 2 health per second and there is nothing you can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mostly play males in video games, but when I rolled a priest my best friend told me to go female, because otherwise I'd be a dude in a dress. I now regret that, since most people mistake my gender...
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I like to pretend I am a girl and flirt with guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffmstr View Post
    What I wish to know... is why?
    Because I feel like it.

Why question it?

10+ Year Old Account
    The reasons I've made female characters is usually because I'll think of a cool female name and want to make a character to use it.

I've got one female toon, an undead, and I made it because I like the female undead laugh.

dunno but IRL when i role play, i dont play the female roles either. but that is just me...
    Last edited by wowplayer; 2011-01-03 at 10:04 PM.

Animations. Animations. Animations.

Sometimes I just don't like the animations that the male characters have, or I prefer the females over the males'. Or I think the males look ridiculous, hence my draenei shaman being female.

I'm male, and most of my toons are female, but some are male as well. Why, you say? Well, whenever I make a new character, I base my choice on how good I think the models look (not in a sexual way, but based on things like casting animations), and I often find that the female models look better. Of course, that's just the way I see it, and if I start mentioning examples of races there are probably people who think otherwise.

For some reason people who play females that are men say they do it because they don't want to stare at a mans butt all day...

For me,

A. I don't stare at my toons butt so it doesn't bother me
    B. I don't want to play female toon because I hate being hit on by other men

I made a female toon once to get some screen shots for some artwork, I was lvl 1 hadn't even been on it 5 min when I got a w/ "you're hot"

I think some guys play female toons because they pretend its their GF, others just because they like to admire the toons model.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Because I feel like it.

Why question it?
    Everyone has their reasons. That is why. I just wanted to know what peoples reasons were. No need to be so defensive, I do not wish to sound negative because nothing I said was meant that way.

Doesn't really matter what you pick, unless you hate the opposite gender or something, then you got deeper issues