Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Details about the new AMD 69xx series leaked..... Nvidia be scared

details on AMD Radeon HD 6900 graphic cards has leaked

damn the new AMD 69xx cards looks insane if the numbers holds
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Roughly $100 - $150 less than the 580 if the prices are to be trusted. I trust the slides are accurate, but it's very hard to judge the performance just off of specs since they're using a new shader cluster type (4 medium complexity SPUs). It does have to be assumed that it will be better than a GTX480 or they wouldn't even bother releasing it, whether it can match or beat a 580 we'll have to wait and see.

^ Referring to the 6970.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

15+ Year Old Account
    im drooling over the 6990 card...... the numbers just looks insane and only using 300W in full load. thats insane.
    think that is gonna be the new card in my rig.

its allso insane that the 6970 will about 30-50% faster then the 6870...... thats ALOT
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2010-11-24 at 11:13 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I think HD6970 won't be faster than a GTX580.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-11-24 at 11:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    if you look at the numbers on the leaked info, it will

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the find Panser

NVidia doesn't really have too much to be scared about. With GTX560 and GTX570 coming out soon (followed by OC/superclocked versions) they will always have something great to offer for the "bang for your buck" market. Their drivers also tend to further accelerate the performance of their cards, more so than AMD.
    But the whole "new architecture" thing of 69xx will definitely be interesting.
    As for crossfire scaling of 6950 and 6970...they are still single-GPU cards so I HOPE they scale as insanely as the 6800 series do. If they do, issues like micro-stuttering aren't going to matter because you'll be pulling 100+ fps in most games anyway :O

Also looking at the 6990's specs I swear it's going to cost like $600-700, it's only use will be breaking benchmarks (like GTX580). Flagship card will be flagship
    Finally, I wonder if the 6990 will be 12.5 inches like 5970? A lot of mid towers simply couldn't fit something like that.

Questions questions questions! Hurry up AMD!
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-11-24 at 11:48 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia be scared
    Yeah, they should be scared... until they release something better in a month or two. Welcome to the standard game of leapfrog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    until they release something better in a month or two
    Don't see that happening = /
    Why would they want to piss off GTX580 buyers so early with something better? :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Welcome to the standard game of leapfrog.
    And that's actually very useful for the customers of both AMD and Nvidia. Some people just don't get it with the whole fanboy thing.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-11-25 at 12:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    And that's actually very useful for the customers of both AMD and Nvidia. Some people just don't get it with the whole fanboy thing.
    I completely agree that it's a good thing. The competition keeps prices down (can you imaging if just one company owned the market?) and innovation up. My last 4 video cards have jumped back and forth between the two companies. GeForce FX 5200, Radeon 9700 PRO, GeForce 8800 GTS G92, and now a Radeon HD 5770. Three of the four cards were still in use up until about 3 months ago when I replaced my webserver, which housed the FX 5200. It's now using on-board, which is fine, since I have no monitor attached to it... or an X server installed to actually display graphics.

My comment was not to downplay anyone's happiness about AMD's advancements with the 6900 series. I just find the whole "<x company> should be afraid" thing to be stupid. The leapfrog game that's been going on well over a decade ensures that neither company really has anything to fear. They take turns... and each time they get a large amount of income from early adopters.

Why would nVidia want to piss off the GTX 580 adopters with something better? People might be finicky about their brand choices, but people shelling out $500 for a video card usually want the best. If they put out a better video card, people will buy it. They'll also sell more of the 500 series, since its price would drop. If they hang onto it for a few extra months to avoid pissing off a few early adopters, then when they release it, it's already "old" tech. The "month or two" may have been hyperbole. It might not be until three or four months. My point was to show that nVidia has nothing to fear. They'll produce the next big card and be king for a short time... then AMD will surpass them... and the game rolls on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Don't see that happening = /
    Why would they want to piss off GTX580 buyers so early with something better? :P
    GTX 595! Unless it's all fake rumors, which it may very well be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    GTX 595! Unless it's all fake rumors, which it may very well be.
    God I cant believe I'm having to do this but oh well. These is so much misinformation on the front page and in these forums. First off; if you look at the overclocking community we all have known about the HD5990 aka caymen / antillies for awhile now. All insider information point to a dissapointing launch and all of which have agreed it will not beat the GTX580 (the 6970). Worse nvidia just leaked actual pictures of the GTS 595 onto a chineese site;

ATI should be scared; NOT nvidia; especially since this game is biased to them anyway. You will always see these companies trading blows with each other. The bottom line is there is a market for each of them, ATi for low power, nVidia for higher performance single cards and GPU compute. For a long time now ATi has been the card to beat and it will go back and forth; for the moment its starting to look like nvidia will get it back only to lose it again.
    Last edited by Sentential; 2010-11-25 at 10:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
    God I cant believe I'm having to do this but oh well. These is so much misinformation on the front page and in these forums. First off; if you look at the overclocking community we all have known about the HD5990 aka caymen / antillies for awhile now. All insider information point to a dissapointing launch and all of which have agreed it will not beat the GTX580 (the 6970). Worse nvidia just leaked actual pictures of the GTS 595 onto a chineese site;

ATI should be scared; NOT nvidia; especially since this game is biased to them anyway. You will always see these companies trading blows with each other. The bottom line is there is a market for each of them, ATi for low power, nVidia for higher performance single cards and GPU compute. For a long time now ATi has been the card to beat and it will go back and forth; for the moment its starting to look like nvidia will get it back only to lose it again.
    Wouldn't be that weird if the picture is some custom made card by MSI or some other card maker that likes making things a bit more custom compared to reference. How come you're sure that it's made by nvidia and leaked by them? You work for them? Makes a whole lot of sense looking at your posts actually.

Rumors are rumors. Sometimes they aren't true and therefore it doesn't seem like a good idea saying "it'll come for sure". Like the full GF104 - the "GTX 475" without any disabled clusters.
    Last edited by Wries; 2010-11-25 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Wouldn't be that weird if the picture is some custom made card by MSI or some other card maker that likes making things a bit more custom compared to reference. How come you're sure that it's made by nvidia and leaked by them? You work for them? Makes a whole lot of sense looking at your posts actually.

Rumors are rumors. Sometimes they aren't true and therefore it doesn't seem like a good idea saying "it'll come for sure". Like the full GF104 - the "GTX 475" without any disabled clusters.
    God on with the attacks it seems, I take the time to sign up only to warn people and its been a constant barrage. If you look at the PCB its made by tigertronics which is one of the OEM vendors for nVidia and it bears their watermark so its a nvidia board, not a 3rd party. I'm not sure why people have such a fixation with trying to prove what I say is wrong. I'm just gonna let it and simply agree to disagree.

Deleted
    God on with the attacks it seems, I take the time to sign up only to warn people and its been a constant barrage. If you look at the PCB its made by tigertronics which is one of the OEM vendors for nVidia and it bears their watermark so its a nvidia board, not a 3rd party. I'm not sure why people have such a fixation with trying to prove what I say is wrong. I'm just gonna let it and simply agree to disagree.
    Its a non working sample, notice how the DVI and 8pin power sockets are missing. This is Nvidia showing they could put 2 580's on 1 pcb if they wanted to but Nvidia would never release a card that exceeds PCI-E power specifications and especially by such a large amount. Also 2x 8 PCI-E power sockets wouldn't provide enough power for the card anyway as this thing would be close to 500w on its own while the maximum it could draw from those 2 cables plus the PCI-slot is 375w. Nope I can assure you this card will never see the light of day. The 6990 on the other hand is a reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    You "warn" people saying Nvidia is superior, in the beginning, admittedly due to forum constraints, you didn't even post sources, and you expect this forum that's always been neutral towards GPU brand to just take it? Then you act like you can't take any form of verbal beating even though you deal out a lot yourself.

I'd wait until PCI-E 3.0 gets common as a low budget 3.0 card will outperform the best 2.0 cards.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    can you imaging if just one company owned the market?
    I have an old Intel Pentium MMX 166mhz with a $550 price tag stuck on it (OEM) sitting around which gives a pretty clear picture of that. xD
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, they should be scared... until they release something better in a month or two. Welcome to the standard game of leapfrog.
    yes they should be scared cilraaz........ if you look at the power use of the new AMD cards you can see that they use way less power then the new Nvidia cards does. im not saying they should be scared performance vise(spelling?). but when people see how little power the new AMD cards uses and how good they perform, then people will buy the AMD cards, insted of the new Nvidia cards wich they properly need a new PSU for.

Nvidia is thinking the wrong way atm. insted of using some more time on making cards that uses less power and still perform great, they just make cards that uses ALOT of power and performance good.

im not a AMD or Nvidia fanboy. i have had cards from them both. but AMD is going the right way atm. and Nvidia is not.

if you look at the new 6990 card, wich is AMD`s new dual card, you can see that it will only use 300W at full load. if you stick two gtx 580 together on a single card, we would be talking about a 500W use....... now who is the winner here?. its not that hard to see that AMD is winning here because of there low power use on the 6xxx series

Actually if Nvidia did release something better than the GTX580, it wouldn't be the first time they've pulled that feat. Now in terms of ATi having the fastest GPU, I say to hell with all that talk. I want to know if the drivers are going to be better because a lot of consumers couldn't stand the issues that the 5870 had & I owned one myself. AMD has always been slow with drivers/fixing game issues to help increase performance which is why unless ATi pulls that off, it'll still be a defeat in my opinion. I'm pulling for AMD, I just hope they deliver on both hardware & driver standpoints.