I like my fans loud; it blocks out my noisy neighbors stomping and screaming upstairs, and also blocks the sound of my roommate watching TV.

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    At this point its me trying to max out my current pc, I only have a 650 psu so I don't think it will be able to handle 2 6950s so I was looking at 6870s since the 6850's aren't as good and my research tells me they are loud. I really shouldn't waste money on a new gpu since my current two are fine and play BF3 at med-high settings but the completionist in me wants to put the best in my case before officially calling my build done.
    Depends how good the PSU is.

I've built a rig of two (quite overclocked) GTX 560Ti's for a friend on a 650w PSU that didn't break a sweat. So if it really is a goodquality PSU, you'd have no troubles.

(Note: The GTX 560 Ti is more powerhungry than the 2GiB HD6950. I'd say with 2x HD 6950 2GiB at stock clocks, would pull ~402w - you'd have 248w to spare, so you've got room for overclocking as well! :P)
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-11-25 at 01:30 AM.

Deleted
    Keyboard - G15
    Mouse - G500
    Headset - G930
    CPU - i7-2600K overclocked
    RAM - 8192 MB DDR3 1600Mhz
    GPU - 2 x 1536 MB GTX 580
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Mainboard

Yeah it may be worth waiting just for the price drop it will cause to all the other cards. But I am keeping my eyes open for good deals tomorrow on the 6870.
    What kind of price drop did, say, the amd 58xx and 59xx experience when the 68xx and 69xx were released?
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2011-11-25 at 01:42 AM.

Adorada, I'm sorry, but the limitation is arbitrarily stupid, and that reasoning is honestly even more so.

Firstly, this is a dick-move to try and create more predictable appearance. Ironically, this will not be the result of their actions. In fact, it's worse. By arbitrarily capping users to a minimum far exceeding what they ever use they're going to be ballparking it. Because firefox scales it down. And this is going to do this in a manner so pants-on-head retarded it's to this day hard to find personas that actually seem to look good by intention.

Secondly, Illustrator is not the best tool for this operation. It is already quite inaccurate and based on the assumption you're ballparking measures (as measuring tools there are exceedingly annoying to use).

Third, vector art is excruciatingly annoying in so many ways it's not funny. Creating vector art is extremely inefficient for more than sample objects that are to be recycled for numerous artistic, non-vector items. No vector art software I have encountered thus far is a shred of comfort to work with for more than specific niches. Firefox personas is not one of these niches.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Depends how good the PSU is.

I've built a rig of two (quite overclocked) GTX 560Ti's for a friend on a 650w PSU that didn't break a sweat. So if it really is a goodquality PSU, you'd have no troubles.

(Note: The GTX 560 Ti is more powerhungry than the 2GiB HD6950. I'd say with 2x HD 6950 2GiB at stock clocks, would pull ~402w - you'd have 248w to spare, so you've got room for overclocking as well! :P)
    Every calculator I use shows me a 750 at least and I'm afraid of frying my system. Its a corsair 650 so I believe its of good quality.

What kind of price drop did, say, the 5900s experience when the 6900s were released?
    No idea but I would like to know as well. I know I picked up my 5770 for 130 last year at this time if that helps.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

A Corsair 650 v2 has, if I recall right, somewhere in the region of 56A on the 12v rail, yes?

Every calculator I use shows me a 750 at least and I'm afraid of frying my system. Its a corsair 650 so I believe its of good quality.
    I don't know your build completely, nor what the voltage of your CPU is, but I assumed 1.42vCore (random number), two HD 6950 2GiB, 2x 7200 RPM drives, 1x DVD+/-RW, 5x USB-devices connected and 5x 120mm case-fans.

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 02:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    A Corsair 650 v2 has, if I recall right, somewhere in the region of 56A on the 12v rail, yes?
    53, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don't know your build completely, nor what the voltage of your CPU is, but I assumed 1.42vCore (random number), two HD 6950 2GiB, 2x 7200 RPM drives, 1x DVD+/-RW, 5x USB-devices connected and 5x 120mm case-fans.

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 02:57 AM ----------

53, actually.
    Nice where did you get that?

Also very close, 1.4v, 3 120 fans, H50 water cooler(one fan on that), I only have one HDD but I really should add a second. So I may have to rethink my decision....damn you decisions....
    Last edited by theturn; 2011-11-25 at 02:04 AM.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

Right. Point is though, doesn't a normal 2x6pin graphics card only take 225w (18.75A @ 12v) if it's using all the power it can?

Nice where did you get that?
    www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp - what I generally use if I want to make doubly sure. I normally have a feel nowadays though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Right. Point is though, doesn't a normal 2x6pin graphics card only take 225w (18.75A @ 12v) if it's using all the power it can?
    Yep. ~220-230 so 225 would be 'bout right.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point its me trying to max out my current pc, I only have a 650 psu so I don't think it will be able to handle 2 6950s so I was looking at 6870s since the 6850's aren't as good and my research tells me they are loud.
    Actually, if you can get your hands on a 6850 DirectCU you'll get 15 dBA idle 17~18 dBA with CPUBurn + FurMark according to SilentPCReview, which is only 1dBA higher than the 6850 on idle, but 5-6dBA lower on Load.

Although there are mixed reviews about it, and people do claim that it's not as silent as it has been advertised. I have a 6850 DirectCU myself, and even my 200mm stock case fan (CM HAF 912+) at the front creates more noise than the GPU fan.
    Last edited by Tekloth; 2011-11-25 at 09:40 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So beautiful...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    2 extra SSD's turned up today to give us this, truly a thing of beauty;
    <nip-snip>

All installed and connected in my single bay adapter;

<nip-snip>

I also ordered a RAID controller card. Turns out it's not EFI compatible. Essentially, you can run either a controller card, or use the onboard ports, not both, at least with EFI. So it's being sent back, since that wasn't advertised on the merchant's website.

As such, i had to do the unthinkable; use my onboard Marvell controller. The setup as of now is 4 of the Intel/Chipset ports for the SSD's, the other 2 chipset ports for a 2x2TB RAID0 with 2 of my HDD's, and the Marvell ports for the other 2x2TB HDD RAID0. It's awkward, but better than abandoning it all completely.
    Whatever job you have can I have one too :P
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-11-26 at 12:58 AM.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest cutting your quote down to size before tetris has a seizure or anything, theturn. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    NCIX has Intel 320s on for $1/GB ($80 for 80GB, $120 for 120GB etc..). If I hadn't just bought a new SSD a month ago I would definitely have gotten a few for RAID..
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Yo Synthaxx, any reason for Corsair's Force over Crucial, Intel or Kingston? Just curious. Found good deals on them or you like the controller?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    I was going through some things and found a picture from my gaming setup from about 2006. I'm guessing then because it's Gun that's on the TV from my Xbox plus my Star Wars Lego collection was still so small.

I'll mention this for DeltrusDisc, on the front of my computer I have my first attempt at using a toggle switch for my fans. I had ordered a Military Safety Cover off eBay but I never received it so I just had to get some and use them when I found a reliable place to buy them this time.
    I used to have that case but in a black finish man it looked really nice up till the front grill got full of dust.
    Tried taking it apart and stripped the screws then accidently bent the grill when moving it and ended up recycling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Yo Synthaxx, any reason for Corsair's Force over Crucial, Intel or Kingston? Just curious. Found good deals on them or you like the controller?
    I'm not Synthaxx, but the Corsair Force-series is a special lovechild of mine.
    They are almost always very low-priced per GB, and their performance is up there among the greats. The fact that Corsair handled the issue with their SandForce controllers so admirably, open and especially, quick redeemed them from having the issue in the first place, in my opinion.

They are also brutally fast. I built a system for the friend of a friend with one. Yum.
    Whenever I retire my i5-760, I'll retire my Corsair F60 along with it - possibly sidelining the whole thing as a spare computer, and I will be quite happy if I can include one of the Force-series.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    ^Precisely why I would suggest a Corsair SSD (or a Kingston HyperX for that matter) over an OCZ since they're all right about the same speed, however 2 of these companies far exceeds the other. ;p
    "A flower.