10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, as above, the 220 was one of the lowest cards in that generation at the time, let alone now. We're 2 generations ahead of it now, almost 3 (in the next few months)
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

The last I heard was that the GTX 600 series from Nvidia was slated as mobile only and that there will be no desktop iteration of it, which would go straight to the GTX 700 series. If that's the case, we're looking at late summer-fall for desktop offerings from Nvidia. In the mean time, AMD will be sitting pretty in a boatload of cash with their new GPUs.

It's like the HD5000 series all over again, maybe we're in for a repeat?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Q2 release has still not changed from what I've been told. I would expect anywhere between May-July for a release.

Mobile 610/630/635's already kicking around I think?
    Digital Rumination
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    The GT 220 is an incredibly weak and outdated card. I see nothing weird in it running L.A Noire on such low framerates, whatever the resolution might be.

The minimum requirements has a 8600 GT listed, which to my knowledge is more powerful than a GT 220. Perhaps if you bring all settings as low as possible and run it at 1024x768 the framerate will rise to "playable"; say 15-20fps.
    I see... I guess it's back to waiting for me

Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    The Q2 release has still not changed from what I've been told. I would expect anywhere between May-July for a release.

Mobile 610/630/635's already kicking around I think?
    The 600 mobile series have been shipped for a month, ya. From the factories to OEM or already built in machines? I'm guessing the former.

I'm still very doubting about them skipping the 600-generation for desktops. It would seem... weird.
    I'm well aware of them skipping the 300series for desktops. But this would just be weird. After all, it's only a number to tell the generation. It has no matter on the relevance on the strength of the GPU - that being the reason they changed their naming scheme in the beginning (9800 GTX -> GTX 260), because it's the letters and the second number that matters. /shrug
    It's not an impossibility. I just deem it the same rumourmill as the "Kepler before winter 2011" until any confirmation.

10+ Year Old Account
    • GeForce GTX 560Ti, Twinfroozer II Edition
    • Intel I5-2500 Sandybridge
    • 4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 Mhz
    •*CoolerMaster Elite 430
    • CoolerMaster GX 550 PSU, 80+ Certified
    • MSI P67S-C43

I don’t know if this is off-topic, but I would like some comments on how high graphics I can run on games like Skyrim, World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'm still very doubting about them skipping the 600-generation for desktops. It would seem... weird.
    I'm well aware of them skipping the 300series for desktops. But this would just be weird. After all, it's only a number to tell the generation. It has no matter on the relevance on the strength of the GPU - that being the reason they changed their naming scheme in the beginning (9800 GTX -> GTX 260), because it's the letters and the second number that matters. /shrug
    It's not an impossibility. I just deem it the same rumourmill as the "Kepler before winter 2011" until any confirmation.
    It's a hard call really, one part of me wants to say that logically the next in line is 600 series, but then, the other part says that they skipped 300 for dedicated, 600 is double that and also the rumour circulating that nVidia wanted to keep their numbering up to date with AMD and call them 700, to match up with 7000, so at least to the less knowledgable it looks like they're on around the same level, minus the extra digit of course.

---------- Post added 2012-01-01 at 04:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    • 4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 Mhz
    •*CoolerMaster Elite 430
    • MSI P67S-C43

I don’t know if this is off-topic, but I would like some comments on how high graphics I can run on games like Skyrim, World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2
    Should manage most things on high I would hope with that, might want to look at upping the RAM at some point though if you run into issues.
    Digital Rumination

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    • 4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 Mhz
    •*CoolerMaster Elite 430
    • MSI P67S-C43

WoW will not be any major problem at all, though I highly suggest at some point you at least up that to 8GB of RAM, make sure the RAM you stick in is 1.5v, same clock speed, and same CAS latencies.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

This one is about 6 months old:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4-955 - 3.20GHz Quad Core
    Display: ATI Radeon 6870 TWINFROZR II, 2GB Memory
    Memory: Corsair 4GB, ddr3-1333
    Hard Drive: 128GB SSD drive (native read: 250mb/sec, write: 145mb/sec)
    Power Supply: Coolermaster RP/RS-650-PCAR eXtreme power plus 650w
    Motherboard: MB-890FXA-GD70

Used to be a big Intel and GeForce fan, but I'm very impressed with AMD and ATI combination also, although it needs more cooling - especially when playing with the over-clocking features.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    Used to be a big Intel and GeForce fan, but I'm very impressed with AMD and ATI combination also, although it needs more cooling - especially when playing with the over-clocking features.
    That's also a direction take by the entire industry. Moving further and further away from passive cooling through pushing more power, yet making it more and more energy efficient (and thus resulting in less heat spill), but pushing the boundaries fractions forward at a time.
    A few years ago, dual slot GPUs were a novelty rather than the norm, and the CPUs were the ones generating the most heat. And both have historically been passive, yet now only the lower lower segments are.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously top end cards are going to generate more heat, the 2nd gen i7 only generates about 32 degree Celsius temperatures with a stock fan, but my old X6 pumped out only slightly less heat with a Thermaltake Frio. AMD seems to be notorious for high heat processors, when I had the stock AMD fan for my X6 the temperature sensors in my case were reading at 40 degrees or so on average. I think this is one thing Intel has excelled at with their processors, while AMD is pushing it more in their graphics cards. Seems like double negatives really, AMD processors suck a lot more energy but their graphics cards require less power then Nvidia, while Intel processors use less energy. Seems like the happy medium for energy consumption and heat would be Intel + AMD/ATI, which is why I use that combination.

I don't really have any problems with the heat generation of my i7, though my 6870 sounds like a jet engine and generates more heat on load. Really looking forward to the 22nm GPU's that's for sure, less heat + more power = happy hydro bills.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-01-01 at 11:32 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just getting settled in with my new system

CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz, 1.28vcore
    Mobo: MSI P67A-G43(B3)
    HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    RAM: 16GB (4x4) G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600
    Video: Galaxy GTX570 @ 800/2000
    PhysX: PNY GTS250 (might not keep, unsure)
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Fatality
    SSD: Crucial M4 64GB
    Case: Antec 900
    PSU: Actec New TP-750
    Storage: 2x400GB Raid0 (games) and 1TB (music/movies)

Poor quality iphone pics

Last edited by meowN; 2012-01-02 at 12:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, stacking newly-bought parts/boxes together was my idea!

Jokes, great build and good OC
    The GTS250 for PhysX is a bit moot as you said.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkydark View Post
    Here it is.
    When I started around a year ago, up until now.
    Specs:
    i5 760 2.8 @ 3.5, 1.2v
    asus p7p55d-pro
    4gb g.skill 1600
    msi gtx 460 hawk talon attack
    500gb wd blue
    lg w2246
    sb audigy
    sony ta-fe370 & sony mf600

Used to live in a house where i had much bigger room and those speakers were just big enough
    Now i'm in a much smaller flat (altho it will be (finaly) paid off in a month) and they are kinda overkill for my current room, but i wouldn't give them away for anything in the world...
    My back and bum hurts just from viewing the pictures of those chairs

My bum hurts sitting on one of those chairs while I'm here. :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Hey, stacking newly-bought parts/boxes together was my idea!

Jokes, great build and good OC
    The GTS250 for PhysX is a bit moot as you said.
    Thanks! I of course had high hopes for my CPU (i knew it was unrealistic, but 5ghz looked so pretty), but even at 1.4v i couldn't get it stable above 4.6. But then once i started lowering the voltage for 4.6, I was very pleasantly surprised to be able to keep it at 1.28

And the gtx570 I just clocked to 850/2100 after bumping the voltage up to 1.1v. Just that little bit made a big difference in bf3 gameplay.

The only problem with the gts250 is that i've seen them sold new at e-tailers for as low as $30 already, so It's not really worth trying to sell but would be in the closet otherwise.

Sweet damn, Coolermaster Cosmos 2 review from TTL.

So want now. With window.

Deleted
    Should only cost you around $500, go for it

10+ Year Old Account
    I loves the original Cosmos. I would buy the Cosmos 2 if I were going to aircool a PC. It would actually make a bitchin' server case.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I loves the original Cosmos. I would buy the Cosmos 2 if I were going to aircool a PC. It would actually make a bitchin' server case.
    I think I found a new case for my Hyper V server...
    red panda red panda red panda!