10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raia View Post
    Cable management is so good
    Not sure if sarcastic or not. Sadly that case is really bad for cable management and I regret buying it. You can't make the wires go behind the board else you can't shut the back frame. Right now the back frame is held back by forcing the computer up against a wall else it would fall off.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Alright so I have essentially the same hardware, but I had to change my setup a little bit.

1. You might notice my PS4 in the back of my desk near my PC. That's because I bought Horizon Zero Dawn for $10 a while ago and wanted to play it. But using my TV + sitting at couch + glasses to play (I'm near-sighted) gave me really bad headaches. (Two hours of playing = 2.5 days of headaches.)

So I moved my PS4 to my desk, and just plug it into my biggest monitor when I want to play Horizon.

2. I've felt the need to use a third monitor to increase productivity (two actually isn't enough...) so I brought back iPad as a third monitor, but now I'm using my fish tank to keep it eye-level. (As opposed to like two kleenex boxes + a kitchen container.)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clean that doll, ffs.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I ended up doing the x299 build after all. It's just for the lulz because I have absolutely no need for this many cores and that much ram.

7900x @ 4.8 for games only.
    Der8aur Direct Die Frame
    Noctua NH-C14s
    Asrock x299e itx
    32gb Kingston Impact sodimm @ 3000mhz
    Silverstone 800w titanium SFX-L
    1080ti SC Black, modded to use the stock cold plate + accelero
    Cablemod cables
    Noctua Fans
    Ncase M1 with tempered glass side panel, tinted 35%
    Demcifilters on every intake area
    Power switch mod

Gaming temps under full load for an hour playing wildlands max settings at 1440p are around 65c GPU and 55C CPU package. Temps have crept up over time. I need to apply some new liquid metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimsumlol View Post
    I ended up doing the x299 build after all. It's just for the lulz because I have absolutely no need for this many cores and that much ram.

Der8aur Direct Die Frame
    Noctua NH-C14s
    Asrock x299e itx
    Cablemod cables
    Noctua Fans
    Power switch mod

Gaming temps under full load for an hour playing wildlands max settings at 1440p are around 65c GPU and 55C CPU package. Temps have crept up over time. I need to apply some new liquid metal.

[]https://i.imgur.com/kNoHEgi.jpg[/IMG]
    []https://i.imgur.com/lU5S2Ge.jpg[/IMG]
    []https://i.imgur.com/HxEFbUd.jpg[/IMG]
    []https://i.imgur.com/k50cyeF.jpg[/IMG]
    The desk looks awesome and I love the idea of super small x299. However can you elaborate on why you're sticking to liquid metal even though you have the direct die kit? I thought sort of the point of that was that you wouldn't have to bother with LM and just have one layer of contact between cooler and CPU. Add to that I don't see anywhere in the NH C14S specs that they have nickel plated the base, so that means yes you are likely seeing temperature changes due to corrosion.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    The desk looks awesome and I love the idea of super small x299. However can you elaborate on why you're sticking to liquid metal even though you have the direct die kit? I thought sort of the point of that was that you wouldn't have to bother with LM and just have one layer of contact between cooler and CPU. Add to that I don't see anywhere in the NH C14S specs that they have nickel plated the base, so that means yes you are likely seeing temperature changes due to corrosion.

Material Copper (base and heat-pipes), aluminium (cooling fins), soldered joints & nickel plating

You can trust Noctua in doing shit properly :P

As for Liquid metal: even with a direct die contact, liquid metal provides better thermal conductivity than paste. Of course it requires more maintenance and it's a conductive material so it's usually not worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Even with the direct die kit a layer of paste is needed for better contact from the die to the cold plate. The base of the Noctua cooler is nickel plated copper so we're good there. Gravity plays a role in the temperature increase since over time the LM will creep downwards and pool leading to less contact from the middle and upper die portions, but I also forgot to take into account that my initial tests did not include fan filters and now I have them installed on every entry point for air.

Finally done with the build.

CPU: i7-8700k currently sitting at 4.5 GHz (planning to try for ~5.0 tomorrow)
    Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240
    MB: Asrock Z370 Extreme4
    RAM: GoodRam Iridium 1x8GB DDR4 3000 MHZ (expanding to 16 or 32 in a few, kinda exhausted my budget now)
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC White
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 7550W G+ Gold
    Case: NZXT S340 Elite
    Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2
    Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013
    Keyboard: Volcano Gamer

Poor lightning pictures done a few minutes now, at night (better ones in the morning, inside of the case)

Finally done with i5-4670k and 970
    Last edited by mauserr; 2018-09-05 at 10:09 PM.

Nice build! I'm thinking going mini-ITX for my next PC, how is the noise compared with a standard mid tower (right now I'm using a fractal design r4).

Also, are the sokets right in the corner between the table and the wall and you are using an extension cord? Or how did you build that sleek desk?

15+ Year Old Account

Der8aur Direct Die Frame
    Noctua NH-C14s
    Asrock x299e itx
    Cablemod cables
    Noctua Fans
    Power switch mod

I spy with my little eye:
    You didn't remove the 2 cards next to the socket as planned.
    No 16 - 18 core as originally planned?

That said ... I hate myself for selling off the original NCase M1s with serial numbers
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks so clean. The only things missing are headset hangers and some personalization.

Hi, I am not able to post image. How can I do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derekobrn View Post
    Hi, I am not able to post image. How can I do it.
    When you get 10 posts, you can start posting pictures (after a little while for the server to catch up)

Core I7 920 D0 Overclocked to 4.0Ghz good

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    When you get 10 posts, you can start posting pictures (after a little while for the server to catch up)
    Thank you so much for letting me

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my current set up using the same shitty PC desk I've been using since 1995 (sue me, I'm a lazy fuck). The 1070 has been replaced with a a FTW2 1080 since then.

Bonus 2010 alt build!

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit cable management in that old build..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Holy shit cable management in that old build..
    THat's him being lazy That's a Cooler Master HAF 932, it's got massive room to spare behind the mobo tray!
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    THat's him being lazy That's a Cooler Master HAF 932, it's got massive room to spare behind the mobo tray!
    Correct, I threw this build together while I was a bit drunk. I cleaned it up the following year and moved it to a Fractal R4 case.